Park City next week - seeking opinions on timing- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Park City next week - seeking opinions on timing

Hello everyone,

We will be traveling to Moab this coming week and would like to include a day to ride the Wasatch Crest trail out of Park City, most likely the Armstrong/pine cone/mid-mountain/Spiro route (although we're open to other suggestions).

Our options are to either ride the Wasatch Crest on Sunday 9/13 before the incoming cool weather pattern arrives or ride it on Friday 9/18 after the pattern passes.

My concern is that the forecast of possible snow down to 9000' could jeopardize access to the WC on Friday. OTOH perhaps some moisture might decrease dust and make the trail nice?

What do you guys think? Would you opt for riding the Wasatch Crest on Sunday before the storm or Friday after?
    Last edited by Nat; 09-11-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Deleted uneccessary info

mtbr member
    Ride it on Sunday. I don't think you'll be too wrung out for TWE.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thank you.

Frame Building Moderator
    I'd just go ahead and do it on Sunday too. Probably will be fine next Friday as well but you never know. Honestly I'd love a big snow dump, we need a real winter this year.

I'd return via Crest Connector/Ambush/Holly's or CC/Rob's/Collins (or CC/Rob's/UOP) and then link the finish via bike path next to 224. The Iron Mountain section of MM (Canyons to PC) isn't particularly fun, and Spiro is quite a letdown of a finish unless you have very low standards for a downhill. Plenty of folks disagree with me, though. If you prefer to finish by descending, just park at the Canyons (by the Cabriolet) and then warm up by riding the 15 min over to PC.

-Walt

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thanks Walt. I appreciate the trail recommendations too. None of my group have ever ridden in the PC area. Are the trails well-marked or do we need to pick up a map before riding?

Frame Building Moderator
    Trailforks.com (formerly Skidmap) has a ton of maps of the area that will show all the trails you need. If you would like a physical map (and to support the local trail building/advocacy group here in Park City) you can purchase a very nice Mountain Trails map at Jan's or Cole Sport (or anywhere that sells bikes in town pretty much).

Have a blast!

-Walt

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thanks again. I'm looking forward to our visit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    the trails are very well marked, but the problem if you are new to the area is there are simply SO MANY TRAILS it's easy to get thoroughly confused!

Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Mountain Trails Ap

Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

There is also a Trailforks Ap available.

Trailforks Mobile App

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thank you John. I think we'll purchase a hard map in town and help support the local bike community. Will be there tomorrow morning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I did that exact ride this morning, that climb to Crest is tough!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Maybe we crossed paths UtahJohn.

We ended up riding up Armstrong to Pinecone to the Crest, then descended Ambush to Holly's. What a magnificent ride! It goes on our list of top ten rides anywhere. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You have an incredible trail network and are very fortunate to be able to ride it. We all want to come visit again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    We began our ride at 7:45am. Uneventful except for Holly's, I came around a corner and almost gave a Moose an enema the hard way (literally 3' from the back side)! Thank goodness he/she was young, and was just as startled as I was, and snorted and ran off to eat some sweet leaves allowing us to continue....

Frame Building Moderator
    I almost did that too, but at night! I was up above Jeremy and almost hit (in order) a mama moose, 2 deer, and then a porcupine. No skunks, though, thank god.

Porcupines take their time about yielding the trail, I tell you what.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    OMG you don't have to tell me. One time I did a LONG climb up to 10,500, and about 500' from the top on the way down there's a porcupine in the trail. The sun was going down fast and I swear he knew it and was just playing with me. As soon as I considered going another way he sped up until I was convinced he would soon move (reel me back in), then he'd slow down again. I would up practically walking because it was pitch black and I couldn't see anything....

Frame Building Moderator
    I had a skunk pull a full Gandalf on the bridge across east canyon creek at the Jeremy Ranch Flying Dog/Bob's Basin trail head once. Skunk 1, Walt/Balrog 0. Luckily I only had to go a half mile or so out of my way to get past...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been so lucky with my dog at that exact spot. She hasn't gotten hit, but i've seen skunks at that spot on several rides without her. I've trapped 3 skunks here in my backyard this summer in Jeremy. Weird summer.