Park City, New Member hello- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City, New Member hello

Hey Guys, I'm a new member here and long time biker, I live in Chicago so there are not many places to go other than our local trails. I hope to add value to the community.

Question; a few buddies and I are headed to Park City UT this coming weekend and we're looking to downhill bike, some are experienced and some are not, all athletic. What's the best place in town to downhill & rent bikes? Any trails that are good to seek out or maybe to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    For renting I would hit up White Pine Touring or Jans. Both are owned by Jans, and are located in PC.

You're coming on an awesome weekend, the transit bus to empire lodge is starting up this Friday which offers rides up the mountain. Also worth noting that all buses in PC are free and bike friendly.
    http://www.parkcity.org/home/showdocument?id=3729

Here's a link to an interactive trail map for PC, endless possibilities.
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Round Valley is a good option to 'warm up' and get a more comfortable on your bikes before you tackle Deer Valley/PCMR. Loops on Rambler here is a favorite.

Mountain Trails Foundation - Map
    ^ That's been my go-to recently. It's around 14 miles of mostly downhill trails throughout Deer Valley, with views for days. Start at Empire Lodge (Purple Transit) take mid mountain trail > deer crest > pipeline > snowtop > solamere > Gambel Oak > Lost Prospector > Skid Row. This loop will pop you out on the rail trail where you can continue to Round Valley (if you're motivated) or turn around and head back to town.

Flying Dog is another must hit trail, located in Glenwild. You can also add in The Dropout and Glenwild to make a loop of it.

Other trails to hit are the Wasatch Crest and remainder of the mid mountain trail (heading away from Deer Valley). Any combination of Ham, Spiro, Jenni's, Mojave, CMG are worth checking out. All are accessed from the PCMR parking lot, so Main Street is never far away to take a break for beers.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Are you interested only in downhill riding? There is a huge amount of trail riding available, but half of it is climbing unless you're running shuttles. Deer Valley opens for lift served mountain biking on 17 June and rentals are available at the base of the resort. There are a variety of excellent trails served.
    Summer Fun at Deer Valley Resort - Hiking, Biking and More
    The Canyons area of Park City Resort also opens Friday and serves some more intense riding.
    Park City Mountain Biking & Hiking | Parkcitymountain.com
    There's plenty on youtube regarding riding options. Here's a sample:
    Canyons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64JaAqu_V0
    Deer Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SGyshDit_s
    Deer Valley has more options for the less skilled.

mtbr member
    very cool, excellent responses guys. pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I will spend the next hour going through these links. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Are you interested only in downhill riding? There is a huge amount of trail riding available, but half of it is climbing unless you're running shuttles. Deer Valley opens for lift served mountain biking on 17 June and rentals are available at the base of the resort. There are a variety of excellent trails served.
    I'm *guessing* that he is using the word "Downhill" differently that most of us would normally interpret that. I'm assuming they want to use the lifts rather than doing a bunch of climbing so your suggestions should help out.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Yes, sorry for not being more clear, a couple of the dudes are not looking for a workout and this trip has to be a crowd pleaser, so we are looking to take lifts up and then do our best on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm *guessing* that he is using the word "Downhill" differently that most of us would normally interpret that. I'm assuming they want to use the lifts rather than doing a bunch of climbing so your suggestions should help out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mountain Scooters

Crowd pleaser to watch, they shouldn’t market it as Intermediate unless they changed something. Seen some good yard sales on the steep eroded lose marble section.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

Frame Building Moderator
    If you want lift served, your options are basically PCMR (very tame, good if you're dealing with beginners, town lift is SLOW), Canyons (a few advanced trails but limited total terrain, slow lifts), and Deer Valley (IMO probably most varied and worthwhile lift served). You can take the empire bus to do the PCMR stuff if you don't want to buy a lift ticket.

Not a lift-served destination, yet. DV is doing some cool stuff and I have hopes that Canyons will expand some more (run the Orange bubble, guys!) Good luck!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks Wait, solid info. headed to the airport

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSedgwick View Post
    Thanks Wait, solid info. headed to the airport
    So which resort did you end up riding (Canyons or DV) and which one you did you like?

For the Utah locals:
    I'm heading there to PC next weekend and I have practically zero recollection of days spent there racing DV back in the NORBA days.

Is DV "better" (more techy and varied) than Canyons? I have one day and one bike only (full blown DH bike so I'd prefer not to hit any climbs hahaha) and are staying right smack in between Canyons and DV.

Frame Building Moderator
    By modern gravity bike park standards, they all suck. I would say DV sucks the least and has 3 or 4 trails worth lapping for a day. Canyons has the "bike park" which is very short (90 second) runs served by a fixed-grip lift that runs at a snails pace, with a few more trails that are a bit more fun accessed by (yay) a high speed gondola and then (boo) a slow fixed grip. So to do the limited good stuff (which is only the upper 1/3 of the mountain, then you're on the old Holly's to the base) you end up having to take 2 lifts, and then you end up riding a lot of mediocre trail over and over and over again to get back to the base.

Depends, I suppose. I'd do DV.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    By modern gravity bike park standards, they all suck. I would say DV sucks the least and has 3 or 4 trails worth lapping for a day. Canyons has the "bike park" which is very short (90 second) runs served by a fixed-grip lift that runs at a snails pace, with a few more trails that are a bit more fun accessed by (yay) a high speed gondola and then (boo) a slow fixed grip. So to do the limited good stuff (which is only the upper 1/3 of the mountain, then you're on the old Holly's to the base) you end up having to take 2 lifts, and then you end up riding a lot of mediocre trail over and over and over again to get back to the base.

Depends, I suppose. I'd do DV.

-Walt
    Thanks man.
    I'm already leaning towards DV in the first place just based on previous racing experience. I need to google or search vimeo for recent DV clips. I don't even know which trails are good as far as tech riding. Tidal Wave is what always get fed to me when googling.

Lastly, is the town bus in PC still free for the summer?
    Lastly II, any info on kids must do or see around PC (my kiddos are 3 and 7 yo).

Ps. I'm rollling solo when I hit DV so if anyone wants to meet up and maybe have a quick local tour of the runs down DV, that'd be cool. I'll be there on July 9th with my DH bike.

Getting pretty stoked.

Frame Building Moderator
    Thieves, Fire Swamp, old NORBA course, all good fun. Tidal wave is fantastic if you like manicured airtime, and really, who doesn't like that for at least a few runs?

Town bus system is free year round!

If your kids are adventurous, they might like the Olympic Park (just uphill from Kimball Junction) with ropes courses, very fast tubing on the fake snow/grass stuff on the ski jump, etc. I don't think 3 is old enough, though. Otherwise, base areas at DV, PCMR, and Canyons all have kids activities, but the draw is the outdoors mostly so take 'em for some hikes and ride the alpine slide or the gondola or something?

-Walt

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say you need a full on DH bike to do Tidal Wave either. I rode it last season once on my hardtail and it just felt like a big BMX track to me. I wouldn't say I was catching max air, but was not due to my ride, the fact I am older now and don't heal as fast as I used to.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

I didn't do it
    Park City is far more interesting if you ride the bike up then ride it down.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Sorry if I seem to have hijacked the thread.
    Thanks for all the tips and heads up.

Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Park City is far more interesting if you ride the bike up then ride it down.
    I fully agree with this statement and I have never used a lift service in PC ever. I am one that likes to earn my downs with climbing up.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

mtbr member
    Jetsedgwick....how'd your visit go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is revival...
    I have four days off in mid September and I would like to take the family for some biking. Wife and I are trail riders who can handle anything short of DH and Freeride trails. The twist is the son, he's 5. We ride once a week or more at the Jackson Hole park and he can roll all the trails, but they aren't what I'd call tech. They're more like buff burms to easy tables and no mandatory drops. Does either Deer Valley or Canyons fit this bill? We'll probably hit the in town bike park as well. He'll do a little climbing, but his legs aren't strong enough for much climbing, yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    This is revival...
    I have four days off in mid September and I would like to take the family for some biking. Wife and I are trail riders who can handle anything short of DH and Freeride trails. The twist is the son, he's 5. We ride once a week or more at the Jackson Hole park and he can roll all the trails, but they aren't what I'd call tech. They're more like buff burms to easy tables and no mandatory drops. Does either Deer Valley or Canyons fit this bill? We'll probably hit the in town bike park as well. He'll do a little climbing, but his legs aren't strong enough for much climbing, yet.
    This has been covered recently. Check this thread out: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=1050409

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Frame Building Moderator
    At DV, Holy Roller (finished now, wasn't complete last year) is IMO safe and fun for an advanced 5 year old. It has nothing scary or technical, and the only way you'd catch air is if you're *hauling*. Only downsides are 1) loose over hard, make sure your son is taking it easy until he's used to it, and 2) it's 1300' of vert total - going to be a LONG day if he has a crash or just gets upset (my son is also 5) and decides he doesn't want to keep going. Pocket full of m&m's is a good idea.

There will be lots of semi-out-of-control adult beginners on the trail, this is roughly like going skiing on the bunny hill during the holidays or something. I would probably let him lead and follow pretty close to ward off any excessive adult stupidity, or at the least take the brunt of the impact yourself.

There are some sections of other trails (Nail Driver, Sunset, etc) that could also be linked up but they tend to be a bit rougher and if he's on 16 or 20" wheels/running rigid that won't be fun at all. It would be easy to link small sections in and see how he likes it, though, then bail back onto Holy Roller (it's a bit of a maze but easy to navigate with a trail map).

PCMR has some kid-appropriate trails but they will be brake bumped to hell this time of year and they are IMO less kid friendly than Holy Roller.

Canyons has one trail, really, or maybe 2 (and we're talking <200' of elevation, they are super short) that is appropriate for a 5 year old. The lift is awful and slow. But it's right at the lodge/restaurant and it would be easy to take breaks or go for a little hike between laps.

There is a whole thread about kid rides in PC here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/park-cit...g-1050409.html

I spend a lot of time riding with my kids/friends kids here, so if you have specific questions feel free to email me or just call. Number is on my website.

Good luck!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the link, that was a good thought on shuttling.. Especially, since I just checked the deer valley website and we'd miss the lift by a week. I can't say the canyons stuff will be suited for him, in the videos or your descriptions. I'm intrigued by the shuttling, but what I like about the lift serve is he gets a bunch of runs and get to progress quickly. Plus I don't Think the wife would shuttle us for multiple laps.
    Debating on driving to Moab instead. He's never seen it and he could roll around on the slick rock a bit. Probably won't take him on the whole enchilada...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My son is 6, and we ride quite a bit. But our favorite places to ride are the ones that are closest to us. Round Valley for smooth flowy singletrack that doesn't have too steep of ups or downs. For a 8 mile or so loop, I'd recommend parking at the Highland trailhead and doing a CCW loop of up Ramble-On to up Rambler and then down Rusty Shovel and then back down the paved path to your car. Another good loop is to start at the same trailhead, ride up Ramble-On, then down Rambler to the road, cross it and ride singletrack and road to the top of the TM trail. Then ride that down to either finishing on Happy Gilmore back to your car or walking up to the top of the Trailside bike park.

We can spend hours riding at the Trailside bike park, doing pump tracks, flow trails, wooden obstacles (which are not that great), jump trails and fairly decent but short downhills.

And I'd stay away from Moab at this time of the year, unless you are doing alpine trails. It has been hot in PC the past couple of weeks (> 85F), and would be real rough for a kid to ride in 95-100F of Moab. Don't get me wrong, we love Moab (spending about 18 days there a year), but this is too early for fall riding.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yes, do not go to Moab. That's an October/November destination.

Round Valley is great, but it is a rare 5 year old that is going to enjoy it (especially 8 miles of it!), simply because it requires a decent amount of climbing to do any of the loops. The difference between 5 and 6 is HUGE.

I guess I'd hit the Canyons bike park. For an adult it's lame, but I think a kid would enjoy it, and the lifts will still (I think) be spinning.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Walt's probably right, but our kids started riding the loop I mentioned at 4 years old. Ramble-On wasn't there for my daughter, so we just rode up the service road. But the key for them riding this was getting their bikes to be as lightweight as possible, having the lowest gearing we could find, being 100% patient with them (especially on days when they weren't feeling it) and taking lots of breaks with all their favorite snacks. What they can ride now in 45 minutes used to take 2+ hours.

Frame Building Moderator
    BS, we should get together sometime. My 5 year old is (if in the mood) pretty good about riding uphill and does way better with other kids around to push him a little on the flats/downhills.

My 3 year old is... completely out of control and crashes every 15 seconds. Ski season should be hilarious...

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Walt, I sent you an email to your Gmail account.