mtbr member

Park City - need help planning!

Was headed to Crested Butte next week, but thinking of driving the extra hour to PC instead. I need some recommendations:

Driving Wednesday, ride Thu/Fri/Sat, drive home Sunday.

Would like to ride trails 2 days and lift/shuttle DH one day. DH park is whatever is best, trails I prefer rocky technical. Not afraid of climbing, mileage doesn't really matter. Only mileage requirements is that it fills up the better part of a whole day. Not really interested in hitting a 7 mile loop and being done riding at 11am.

Also need a place to throw up a hammock and sleep.

Thanks for any help!!

I didn't do it
    If I understand your plans correctly I'd stick with the original plan and head to Crested Butte.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Moderator Moderator
    If you want rocky gnar, the CB lift-served trails will deliver. And it's easy to put together huge rides, of course.

PC has great trails but if you like rocky technical, you're basically SOL except for the Deer Valley lift served trails, which are good enough for a full day of riding but not more than that.

Honestly, neither location is fantastic for what you're describing, but I'd do CB.

-Walt

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Was there last weekend. Spent a day at PC/Canyons, a day at Deer Valley, and shuttled one day. Rode my Bronson 2 of the days, and an Altitude at Deer Valley. Those bikes were fine for all the trails, but I wasn't going super duper DH speeds.

You can pay for a shuttle up to Wasatch Crest, drop down into Canyons, then spend the rest of the day catching the lift at Canyons. I liked the majority of the trails at Canyons the most, but Fireswamp at DV was the chunkiest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Did you ride one of the '18 Altitudes? What did you think?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Did you ride one of the '18 Altitudes? What did you think?
    Yep, the A50. I ordered the A70 2 days ago

I had been looking for a "DH bike that I could pedal", but after riding the Altitude, I realized I wanted a trail bike that I could DH with.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I'm supposed to get my C90 here tomorrow. I can't wait!
    What did you think about how it pedals?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I'm supposed to get my C90 here tomorrow. I can't wait!
    What did you think about how it pedals?
    I left a mini-review in the RM forum. I don't wanna hijack this thread

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Guilty as charged!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    It's the Utah thread....we like being hijacked!

mtbr member
    Thinking of coming to ride late June. A few questions. Any suggestions for a good B&B? Would most trails likely be free of snow end of this June? Best bike shop for rentals. We ride Santa Cruz 5010 so anyone who deals with similar bikes would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike93 View Post
    Thinking of coming to ride late June. A few questions. Any suggestions for a good B&B? Would most trails likely be free of snow end of this June? Best bike shop for rentals. We ride Santa Cruz 5010 so anyone who deals with similar bikes would be great. Thanks.
    Can't help with good B&B, but Google or Air B&B could.
    Most trails should be good. We had a light snow year.
    Go Ride in Salt Lake on the way up is good. Competitivecyclist has their warehouse near the airport and has rentals. In Park City, there are lots of options, again, it'll work to get a list of them from Google search.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. Been google searching on accommodations and rentals but always like to get a locals take on things. We are looking forward to our trip.

mtbr member
    It's best, I think, if you call the various bike shops so you can discuss variables on what they have to rent. None of the locals use B&B's in town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I concur with MSU, most (maybe all) of the trails should be ridable by late June this year. Jan's and Colesport in PC both rent good quality bikes. Standard bike rentals (think Giant Trance/Reign or similar) are pretty reasonable, with the option to get a higher end demo bike for more $$. If you want a demo level bike, it would probably be wise to reserve it ahead of time. If you want to get a full DH bike for a day at Deer Valley or The Canyons, you can rent those from either of those resorts. I want to say most of the PC shops have rates for 1/2 day, full day and multi days.

The PC area has a ton of trails... If you need some suggestions, feel free to post up what types of rides you like and I'm sure you'll get some good recs.

mtbr member
    White Pine Touring used to rent Santa Cruz bikes though being on vacation, you may take the opportunity to try something different. Torchlight Inn B&B gets great ratings and most importantly is walking distance to Main St and the Town Lift if that matters to you all. We normally just rent a place off VRBO, usually in Prospector Square where the best deals are and 1/2 mile max from White Pine.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike93 View Post
    I came here looking at get answers of basically the same questions you have, minus the lodging one. Iíll also be there late June, and hoping for recs on where to rent from. Also looking for advice on how far in advance I should reserve a bike.

I stayed at the Torchlight Inn in Park City for a couple nights, a year and a half ago. Absolutely incredible breakfast. Owned by a really nice couple from Massachusetts, and itís run similar to a New England B&B. Could not recommend it enough, fantastic hospitality.

mtbr member
    I got bored....Googled Santa Cruz in Park City. Looks like Jan's rents them. I don't see them anywhere else. If you like the 5010, I expect you'd like the SB5 as well. They're pretty similar.
    But, it's always best just to call shops to find out.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Heard good things about torchlight so going there. Found reasonable rentals on RM Thunderbolts at Stein Erikson. Looking forward to this trip.