Park City/Midway on the weekends.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Park City/Midway on the weekends.

We are heading up to PC/Midway tomorrow. All intermediate riders. Where is the best place to ride with the fewest crowds. We will be riding in the afternoon/evening.

I am leaning toward the Glenn Wild area or Dutch Hollow.

Any specific trails that would be better or avoided?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In the Heber area, hit the Riverview/Coyote system, Coyote Canyon Loop bike trail near Heber Utah
    In fact Rocky Mountain is doing a demo at the UVU trail head tomorrow....but it is in the morning.
    Round Valley is good for intermediates and typically would not be crowded, but with the recent rains, the upper stuff may be too wet and force people down to Round Valley.

Frame Building Moderator
    As of yesterday afternoon, the "upper stuff" is all good to go. I played hooky, so I know.

If you want to avoid crowds AND avoid heatstroke, you're going to have to seek out some of the lesser-known PC trails. Glenwild/Flying Dog will be roasting hot by mid-day, and the Armstrong/Jennis/MM triangle of death will be chock full 'o nuts.

I would climb John's (you won't see many people, but it's techy/roots climbing) or Jenni's, then ride south on MM and make some loop up out around the Empire area. Or go higher and ride up to Shadow lake. Just stay south of Jenni's and you should basically be ok.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Coyote Canyon looks perfect. The wife is trying out her new rig, so I don't want to throw anything too crazy at her, something flowing and open would be great. I usually ride in the heat so I am used to the salt stalagmites on my top tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    As of yesterday afternoon, the "upper stuff" is all good to go.
    Did it not rain like crazy in various spots last night? Mountain Trails says there were isolated "downpours" as did my co-worker. I work near Round Valley, and it looks like plenty of water fell last night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Did it not rain like crazy in various spots last night? Mountain Trails says there were isolated "downpours" as did my co-worker. I work near Round Valley, and it looks like plenty of water fell last night.
    All parts of Park City, including kimball/glen wild, got a pretty good soaking either overnight 7/10, during the day 7/11, or both. Crowds on the trails Saturday 7/12 might not be the problem, but mud will.

You might find some ridable stuff by evening Saturday, by which time you shouldn't have to worry about crowds. The weekend crowds normally seem to thin out by 5-6pm.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, that was Thursday I was referring to - I was up to about 8.5k' on Hunter's/Rob's and it was bone dry. Might be a different story at the south end, and we've had lots more rain since then. I know Glenwild is muddy as of this afternoon (7/11).

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post

mtbr member
    We rode 12 miles or so in Round Valley today and saw like 3 ppl. Mud in just a couple of places but it was nice and almost dust free today.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ended up doing Coyote Canyon loop. We didn't see another person, it was perfect. Fun trail, kind of raw. It has some technical sections but had a lot of variety, every few miles it morphed into a different kind of trail. Much different than the well-groomed Corner Canyon trails I usually ride.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Clyde, where is this Coyote Canyon loop? TIA

Your Best Friend
    It's a new loop (as of early last year) on the north east side of Heber.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Clyde, where is this Coyote Canyon loop? TIA
    Here you go. Looks like a good loop.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I finally did Coyote Canyon loop this morning. 20 miles and didn't see another rider! We actually saw a lot of color (leaves changing), and some had already dropped carpeting the trail.

NICE RIDE!

If anyone is wondering, our loop was 20mi and around 2500' of climbing. Felt a little longer and harder than 20/2500'. We did the loop clockwise. CCW would have a nasty climb at the top of the Heber side.

You definitely can't just "relax" on that ride, being a new trail there are a lot of small obstacles (roots, baby heads, etc) that you have to watch out for. The ride's "character" does change a lot throughout the ride. I think slickrock and sand are the only 2 things we didn't see LOL.

Always having to pay attention is probably why I'm more tired than I expected to be on the ride. The ride is excellent, really glad you guys posted it for me, thanks so much!

Your Best Friend
    The loop actually flows better if you go CCW.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The loop actually flows better if you go CCW.
    +1

Climb on Heber side is not that nasty - a few tricky spots that are no problem for advanced riders or a quick walk for intermediates.

Also, think its more like 23 miles if you start at the UVU ( USU? whatever it is) campus instead of river view trailhead.