Park City mid July - bike rentals?- Mtbr.com
    Thread Killa
    Nov 2012

Park City mid July - bike rentals?

I'll be passing through Park City mid July on my way to, and from, Yellowstone. I believe I will be there 4 or 5 nights altogether.
    I've heard great things about the area and want to ride for a day or two while there but don't want to drag my bike all around Yellowstone and surrounding area.
    I'm more interested in XC and flowy semi technical trails rather than the gravity/park/DH scene.

Are there good options for trail bike rentals in Park City or should I sacrifice the gas mileage and strap a bike or two on my roof for the drive out from CA?

Any recommendations on must rides?

TIA

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Jans and Colesport both rent bikes and are located a few pedal strokes from the Park City Mt Resort parking lot. They have their standard rental fleet (Giant Trances or similar), and they also have higher end demos. If you want something higher end, it's probably worth reserving it. Park City Bike Demos also rents higher end bikes, but I've never dealt with them. I've seen their van out in the Park City parking lot in the past though and it looked like they had some nice rigs.

Endless ride options for 4-5 days. The PC network is pretty dense, but it's hard to describe specific routes given all the junctions. Be sure to download the Trailforks app as it's really dialed for Utah trails. With that said, the Wasatch Crest is definitely a classic. You can loop it from PC by going up Armstrong-Pinecone then descending back down via the Canyons resort (~25 mi/~4000 ft vertical). Outside of the black/double black DH trails in Deer Valley, most everything in the area is XC, flowy or semi-technical at most. There are a few other exceptions, but PC is generally XC heaven. Hitting some of the higher elevation trails is a great way to beat the mid-July heat. Feel free to explore and/or try to hook up with a local. If schedules work out, I'd be happy to show you around a bit.

mtbr member
    We always rent from White Pine Touring because it's close to our condo. It's a very nice shop that only sells quality stuff, Summer or Winter. They have all levels of bikes including $8000+ high end Specialized bikes. I see on their website that there reservation system is "Powered by JANS". Not sure if they were bought out by them?

https://whitepinetouring.com/mountai...-park-city.php
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I believe Jans and WP have been owned by the same entity for years, but they do have different gear. Jans, Cole Sport, Storm Cycles, Park City Bike Demos....the list has grown. Google if you want a specific bike to ride. Mountain Trails has an almost indecipherable map online, but there is an interactive version. Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Armstrong-Pinecone-ridge, Jenny's (Or Sweeny's, John's to TTS)-Tommy Two Step-Three Candles-Keystone-Shadow Lake-Puke Hill Ridge, Flying Dog, Deer Valley to ride the lifts, or just ride over via Mid-Mountain. The Crest Trail. The choices are vast!

Look at the posts regarding where to ride in Park City further down the forum and you'll find stuff already written.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 06-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jans does indeed own White Pine Touring.

I had a friend in town recently that rented a Yeti from Storm Cycles in Kimball Junction and had a really good experience with them. Storm Cycles also rents Pivot and Trek. As MSU Alum said, you can probably rent just about any make and model of bike in Park City these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    I'll be passing through Park City mid July on my way to, and from, Yellowstone. I believe I will be there 4 or 5 nights altogether.
    I've heard great things about the area and want to ride for a day or two while there but don't want to drag my bike all around Yellowstone and surrounding area.
    I'm more interested in XC and flowy semi technical trails rather than the gravity/park/DH scene.

Are there good options for trail bike rentals in Park City or should I sacrifice the gas mileage and strap a bike or two on my roof for the drive out from CA?

TIA
    I'll be over towards SLC on vacation with the ability to roughly ride between the 14th - 18th of July if that's when you'll be visiting. I did want to get over to PC at least one of the days and sounds like we are looking for similar type of riding. Send me a PM if you're interested in potentially getting together for a ride, I'd rather make mistakes figuring out where I am with someone else than on my own.

There's always good potential I'll buy beer too.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member

TIA
    I am spending the first summer here in a long while and there's a lot of new trails I am riding. So far my favorite non bike park style trails are at Park City Resort. Either ride the lift or climb Jenni's to Tombstone, to the Crest and down Pinecone Ridge. If you are feeling good you can take Mid Mountain all the way to the Canyons side and down Holly's or Ricochet, but Mid Mountain is about 10 miles of bland riding to get to those other trails.

I also enjoy coming down Spyro from the top of Keystone if you want to do laps on the Park City side or incorporate it into exploring all the trails there. It's really pretty and has been quite cool up there lately.

The Wasatch Over Wasatch was really fun as well, but that empties you out near Midway and would need a shuttle unless you like climbing against a ton of people bombing down the trail blindly. The views are outstanding and you can add a bunch of miles on at the bottom since it links to a growing trail system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you get a map, be sure to check out the Deer Valley area of trails. Payroll, T&G, Corvair, John's 99, Flagstaff and Ontarion Loop, Moosebones, etc over there is some of the best local trail and hardly anybody rides there (compared to the PC ski area). Most people do the ol' Jenni's, Armstrong, etc. Be sure to do Tommy's 2-step up to 3 Candles and then Keystone up to Shadow Lake. Lots of climbing but pretty nice up there (there's a loop around Shadow Lake as well). Then you can bomb down the one-way Mojave which is a blast. Get a shuttle one day if your legs are kinda tired and do the WoW trail. Mostly all downhill and goes thru about every type of terrain in the area. Good fun.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot 429SL (for sale)
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    If you get a map, be sure to check out the Deer Valley area of trails. Payroll, T&G, Corvair, John's 99, Flagstaff and Ontarion Loop, Moosebones, etc over there is some of the best local trail and hardly anybody rides there (compared to the PC ski area). Most people do the ol' Jenni's, Armstrong, etc. Be sure to do Tommy's 2-step up to 3 Candles and then Keystone up to Shadow Lake. Lots of climbing but pretty nice up there (there's a loop around Shadow Lake as well). Then you can bomb down the one-way Mojave which is a blast. Get a shuttle one day if your legs are kinda tired and do the WoW trail. Mostly all downhill and goes thru about every type of terrain in the area. Good fun.
    Thanks for the tip. I don't know if this sounds funny or not but I don't have anything close to this type of trail network around me. So I'm looking in PC on trails forks and at times I'm having trouble figuring out whether the trails are directly connected to a ski resort or are public trails. I see some trails where parking is away from the "ski lodge", so I'm guessing the trails are accessible with no issues. Then I see other trails where parking is near/around the ski lodge. So I don't know if those are lift assisted trails, or XC centric trails. Obviously I'm clicking on the trails on trailforks and sort of figure it out but there are so many trails it's kind of daunting.

Any tips in general for kind of knowing what's lift assisted, thus have to pay to ride or are many of these trails XC oriented and open to the public even if they're on ski lodge property. I appreciate any insight. As daunting as this is, I think I have at least a couple of sections to start with for 2 - 3 hr rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Despite much of the trail system being on private land, everything is publicly accessible with just a few exceptions that you are not likely to stumble into. You don't need a lift ticket to ride anywhere in PC. With that said, within Deer Valley, many of the trails and roads are marked no uphill traffic within the "park" (while the lifts are running for obvious reasons), but there are climbing trails in DV as well that will get you most of the way to the top even when the lifts are going (these are generally marked "cross country"). If you want to spend a day in the DV park, it's worth buying a ticket, but if you just want to do a lap or two, you can climb up via Tour de Suds, Boulder, Team Big Bear, etc.

Generally, if you want to ride mostly in PC Mt Resort, just park in the PCMR parking lots and then ride up either Jenni's (center of resort) or Armstrong (northern end), both are uphill only from the resort base, and then branch out from there. If you want to ride Flying Dog, look for Bad Apple or Spring Creek trailheads near Kimball Junction. If you are going to do a park day at DV, you can either park up around the Silver Lake Lodge area or Snow Park.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Damn, so much good info! Thank you! I'm at the Doubletree and it looks like I can grab Armstrong with just a short pedal.
    Qdawgg, I'd love to hook up but it's going to be touch and go trying to ride between family events etc... so it's very unlikely.
    Anyone got info on a good mountain park to take the kids to for luge or ziplines or other fun stuff for 8 & 10 year old???

mtbr member
    The base of Park City resort has all of that. Zip line, mountain coaster, Alpine slide etc.

mtbr member
    Damn, so much good info! Thank you! I'm at the Doubletree and it looks like I can grab Armstrong with just a short pedal.
    Qdawgg, I'd love to hook up but it's going to be touch and go trying to ride between family events etc... so it's very unlikely.
    Anyone got info on a good mountain park to take the kids to for luge or ziplines or other fun stuff for 8 & 10 year old???
    Completely get it, I'm going to be in a similar situation with my 3 year old and wife.

I'm planning to ride the Flying Dog loop in Kimball Junction one day and some version of Armstrong - Mid Mountain - CMG (potentially adding Pinecone up and back down, into the mix) another day. I'll be doing those at some point between 7/15 - 7/18.

So if it happens to work out shoot me a msg and like I said, I get it if it doesn't. I have to keep the wife happy too so not sure when exactly I'm going to do those rides.

mtbr member
    Utah Olympic Park also has zipline, etc.: https://utaholympiclegacy.org/locati...-olympic-park/

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hey all,

Some friends and I are doing the biking pilgrimage to MOab this fall (October). We'll probably fly into SLC, rent a car and drive over.

Doing some research, we might rent bikes in SLC and then drive with them to Moab (rather than renting in MOab). Anyone else have experience with this or recommendations? I am PUMPED about getting to try out a sick trail bike, it's half the reason for the trip if i'm honest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by devo83 View Post
    Hey all,

Some friends and I are doing the biking pilgrimage to MOab this fall (October). We'll probably fly into SLC, rent a car and drive over.

Doing some research, we might rent bikes in SLC and then drive with them to Moab (rather than renting in MOab). Anyone else have experience with this or recommendations? I am PUMPED about getting to try out a sick trail bike, it's half the reason for the trip if i'm honest
    Why not rent in Moab? When (not if - if you've ever ridden Moab, you know what I mean!) you have a problem with the bike in Moab, you can then just go to the shop.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.