Park City help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Park City help

Mar 2004

Park City help

Heading down to PC this weekend. We were wondering what trails are open and how to access them. We have never ridden PC before. Also, looking for recommendations for a cheap place to stay nearby that allows dogs.

Kelly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyinutah
    Heading down to PC this weekend. We were wondering what trails are open and how to access them. We have never ridden PC before. Also, looking for recommendations for a cheap place to stay nearby that allows dogs.

Kelly
    Sunday we rode Deer Crest to Spin Cycle to the Town Loop to Gambel Oak to Lost Prospector - all of that was clear. Best bet is to stop into a shop - Jan's and Colesport are easiest to find on the way in) and grab a map - they have a nice one that covers all the trails and is free (for donations). That way they can give you a good update on how the snow is melting. We've also ridden Spiro recently, but there was snow blocking the entrance to the Mid Mountain trail, but it should be open soon. I'm heading up there for a group ride tonight, so I'll let you know where we ride and give another update tomorrow.

No ideas at all on where to stay - we always just do day trips.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Sunday we rode Deer Crest to Spin Cycle to the Town Loop to Gambel Oak to Lost Prospector - all of that was clear. Best bet is to stop into a shop - Jan's and Colesport are easiest to find on the way in) and grab a map - they have a nice one that covers all the trails and is free (for donations). That way they can give you a good update on how the snow is melting. We've also ridden Spiro recently, but there was snow blocking the entrance to the Mid Mountain trail, but it should be open soon. I'm heading up there for a group ride tonight, so I'll let you know where we ride and give another update tomorrow.

No ideas at all on where to stay - we always just do day trips.
    Thanks Connie! I needed a starting point and your advice was definitely helpful. BTW, how was your most recent trip to Moab?

Kelly

mtbr member
    No problem! I just got back from a group ride up there. There's an XC race next weekend and we rode the race course loop - it's over at Deer Valley and includes some of Deer Crest, Solamere Loop, and Snowtop (or maybe it's Snowcrest??). Definitely getting drier out there. I'll bet by next weekend you can ride Spiro to either the Mid-Mountain Trail (to the Canyons) or over to Steps/John's Trail/Sweeney's (those get a little technical here and there, but I think they're a blast).

Anyway, our last trip to Moab was great - perfect weather and great riding. I posted a few pictures in the women's forum from Fisher Mesa.

Have a great weekend!

Mar 2004

Deer Valley Race Course

How much of it is singletrack?

And is it lots of up and down stuff like at Soldier Hollow?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    How much of it is singletrack?

And is it lots of up and down stuff like at Soldier Hollow?

Thanks.
    The only section that isn't singletrack is the beginning, which is a wide gravel road (and a beast of a climb), but I guess it makes sense to get everyone spread out a bit - after that it's all singletrack (minus a couple road crossings, etc.) Several fairly long climbs (plenty of switchbacks) and good sustained descents. One section of the descent (towards the end of the loop) is a little technical, but fun. I haven't ridden at Soldier Hollow, so I can't compare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode Park City yesterday, and Spiro/Powerline was clear all the way to Thanes. I didn't go up any higher, but Jupiter Bowl looked pretty snow-covered from a distance. Proceded up Thanes to Steps to John's to Sweeney's. Great ride and it was all clear. With all the warm weather forecast this week, I think Powerline will be ready to Jupiter Bowl pretty soon.

EDIT: PC has a bike trail map on their website that's pretty useful. You could do the loop I mentioned--it's great. In any case, Spiro is a good starting point for a ride. You can stay in PC or go to the Canyons via Mid-Mountain Trail as described above.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshies
    Rode Park City yesterday, and Spiro/Powerline was clear all the way to Thanes. I didn't go up any higher, but Jupiter Bowl looked pretty snow-covered from a distance. Proceded up Thanes to Steps to John's to Sweeney's. Great ride and it was all clear. With all the warm weather forecast this week, I think Powerline will be ready to Jupiter Bowl pretty soon.

Have fun!
    Thanks! That's good to know - I may go up and hit that loop later this week. John's and Sweeney's are two of my favorite trails. Love the roots and switchbacks!

mtbr member
    Also, looking for recommendations for a cheap place to stay nearby that allows dogs.
    Hi Kelly! I was informed that all Best Westerns allow dogs. There's one in PC.

Best Western
    Landmark Inn
    6560 N Landmark Drive, Park City, Utah 84098
    Phone: 435-649-7300
    Fax: 435-649-1760

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ has a PC/Uintas trail link. They have directions too.
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 06-03-2004 at 10:05 AM.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    Hi Kelly! I was informed that all Best Westerns allow dogs. There's one in PC.

Best Western
    Landmark Inn
    6560 N Landmark Drive, Park City, Utah 84098
    Phone: 435-649-7300
    Fax: 435-649-1760

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ has a PC/Uintas trail link. They have directions too.
    Thanks Shannon! I hope you're doing well!

mtbr member
    Thanks Shannon! I hope you're doing well!

I am doing well, thanks! If you want to ride again, let me know.
    How are you doing? Explore any different trails lately? I sense that you're a little homesick.

PC sounds nice, I want to go up there for a weekend and hit a bar.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    I am doing well, thanks! If you want to ride again, let me know.
    How are you doing? Explore any different trails lately? I sense that you're a little homesick.

PC sounds nice, I want to go up there for a weekend and hit a bar.
    Gary and I did Mud Flats loop last Monday. We were really surprised...totally loved the ride! We looked at the hill profile prior to the ride and thought the it was going to be a boring 'up and down' ride. Not at all! It was really beautiful up on top and not a soul around. Definitely a "do again". We also rode the single track over at Sherwood Hills. That was also fun. Not difficult or technical but lots of sweet buff singletrack thru the trees...I love trees!!

mtbr member
    I love trees!!
    If you love twisting through the trees - you need to hit John's Trail. One of my favorite trails ever - buffed singletrack, roots, tight trees... so much fun.

We just got back from riding Spiro-Thaynes-Steps-John's-Sweeney's - it's in perfect condition. I'm sure the mid-mountain trail is good to go too.

Have fun up there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode PC all this weekend.

Spiro is clear almost to Jupiter Bowl. There's still quite a bit of snow and a downed tree on the doubletrack past the 3 Bears. Also, talked with someone who rode across west across Keystone and down from Jupiter Bowl. He said that there was quite a bit (6 or 7 areas) of hike-a-bike through snow. So I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for Jupiter.

Also rode Mid-Mountain all the way to a few miles past Red Pine Lodge at The Canyons. It was totally dry, but there were a few downed trees that have yet to be cleared.

All in all, it was a great weekend up there, and it was so nice to get out of the sweltering heat in SLC.