Park City first weekend of October- Mtbr.com
    DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Park City first weekend of October

Looks like I'll be in Park City the first weekend of October. Should some of the trails be good to go still? Looking to get in a 3 hour ride one day, and a 2 hour ride the other day. Loop, not shuttle.

I typically ride Lunch Loops, Kokopelli, 18 Road in GJ/Fruita. I've also ridden Navajo Rocks/Mag 4/Bar M as a big 40 mile loop solo, but I enjoy XC riding with killer views as well.

Any suggestions for each day? A 2 hour, and 3 hour loop suggestion please.

Thanks!
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Low stuff could be good, higher could be iffy with weather change. Kind of a crap shoot really.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

Your Best Friend
    Most likely good.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Snow doesn't normally stick until after Halloween. You could get some rain/snow mix in the form of small showers, but probably not enough to adversely affect the riding. Just have a jacket that you can bring if the forecast requires it. It's considerably cooler and breezier at the ridge (9500 feet or so) than at the trailhead 3000 feet lower.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Okay, here's a loop you can try. Park at the Silver Lake Lodge in Deer Valley, which is about a 15-20 minute drive from Park City. Ride from the parking lot down a walkway through some buildings to the base of the lift. As you look up at the mountain, go downhill to the right, down a wide dirt track, and look for the entrance to the Mid Mountain trail on your left (within 100 feet). Take Mid Mountain to Team Big Bear Cross Country(well signed) to the Flagstaff loop(well signed). At the top of the Flagstaff loop, you will find yourself climbing up a big open meadow. Take a left on Deer Camp(well signed). Deer Camp will enter an aspen grove. Within 100 yards there will be a 180 degree right turn(unsigned). It's easy to miss, but it's a well worn trail. Take the 180 degree right turn and climb up through the aspen grove. The trail will exit the aspen grove into a big bowl. Down and to your left you will see a bunch of table top jumps, which is Tidal Wave. Keep riding until the trail you are on intersects Tidal Wave. Then go back in the general direction you came this time taking Road to Ruby(signed). Road to Ruby will intersect the Flagstaff loop, then complete the other half of the Flagstaff loop, and descend Team Big Bear Cross Country back to Mid Mountain.

That takes me about 1:30-1:45. If you want to make the ride longer, instead of turning right on Mid Mountain and riding back to the base of the lift at Silver Lake Lodge, turn left on Mid Mountain and go as far as you want. When you are ready, turn around and ride Mid Mountain back to the Silver Lake Lodge.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Another loop: From the Park City Mountain Resort parking lot (huge), ride to the top right of the parking lot and get on Jenni's trail. Climb Jenni's trail to Crescent Mine Grade(go right up CMG). Climb CMG to Mid Mountain(and take a left). Traverse along the rolling Mid Mountain trail until it dumps you out onto a wide dirt cat track. Take a left (going downhill), and descend until you see the top of a lift. Aim to the right of the top of the lift and ride up a steep gravel cat track until you come to a sign on the right that says John's trail. Descend John's Trail to Sweeney's Switchbacks which will dump you out onto an asphalt road. Go uphill on the road (left), and the road will immediately start descending through a bunch of condos, coast down the road back to the Park City Mountain Park parking lot. If you get a little lost at the end of Sweeney's Switchbacks, just get on any street and try to hug the mountain, and you will end up back at Park City Mountain Resort.

That loop takes me about 1:45 too. To make it longer, when Mid Mountain dumps you onto the wide dirt cat track, turn right uphill and find something else to climb for 45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Here's a map:
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map
    If you wanna drive up to Silver Lake like said above, park at the P next to Stein Erikson Lodge. Get on Mid-Mountain heading west (to the right as you're riding), go up Boulder, take Moosebones over to Corvair and ride down Payroll. That trail is a blast and no one rides it. It comes back to M-M, go left and at the dirt road ride down and get on John's 99. Head back east and look for Little Chief and that'll take you back to M-M. Then head back to car or take any of the other offshoots if you need more saddle time (Tour de Suds and Team Big Bear are good climbs and descents).

mtbr member
    Flying dog is another fun trail. It can be busy but if you are going mid-week or early/late you should see minimal traffic. There are a lot of different trailheads and routes to ride it, I usually start at Spring Creek trailhead (there is a big map there too that shows the trails in the area) and ride the loop counter-clockwise. It usually takes me 2 hours to do the loop.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks guys. That should keep me stoked for the weekend. Lot of trails there. If I wanted to come down Tidal Wave after riding up Mid-Mountain/Big Bear/Flagstaff would I need a lift ticket or anything? I'll be on a Ripley LS w/MRP Stage and minions, so my bike can handle that and be fun on something like that.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Frame Building Moderator
    Tidal wave is rideable and fun on basically any bike. By October, the lifts will be long done spinning and and you'll have the trail to yourself.

The DV guys won't hassle you regardless. Ride any of those trails you want.

-Walt

mtbr member
    As I recall, last year, it didn't snow down in Salt Lake until early-November. Probably the snow came earlier in Park City though. More and more people are riding on Fatbikes, which you could ride through the snow.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's already cold riding in the shade. Your best bet might be Flying Dog, which is outside of Park City, gets a lot of sun, and is much lower in altitude. On the first weekend in October, I think you might need a down parka at the top of Tidal Wave (at the spot I described above it's close to 9,000 feet). October is prime time in Moab.

mtbr member

October 2 2013 and 2 days later

Here's October 2
    Park City first weekend of October-2-resize.jpg
    Here's October 4
    Park City first weekend of October-10-4-2013-7-40-08-am_0002-resize.jpg

Both are around 7000 feet.
    So you can never tell up here!