mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Park City Fatbiking advice

Hey all - Iíll be out in park city for a ski trip in Feb and will be staying a friendís place in the Canyons. Can anyone give me the low down on good fat bike rental places and good rides to do? I wonít have a good way to transport the bike, so Iíll be riding to anything within range.

Iíve seen a couple sites mention Round Valley, so thatís already on the short list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    I can't help you with rentals in the area. I'd try the local shops but they are also ski shops and may have completely swapped over for winter. Perhaps try White Pine Touring. Most of the area is ski resorts so most of the trails that are part of the Park City mythology are closed to bikes. When it's good, round valley is really good. You may also try the Glennwild trails just north of I-80 and Kimball junction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Moderator Moderator
    Storm Cycles in Kimball has fatbikes to rent.

Rides:
    -Round Valley has the fat loop (~8 miles, mostly singletrack). You can also ride on the groomed skate ski trails, assuming you're not a jerk about it (ie, if you're leaving a track, turn around). More info at the Mountain Trails Foundation site.
    -Lost Prospector and the surrounding trails are usually packed in enough by hikers to ride.
    -Rob's/Collins/Dubois near the Canyons. If you can't climb it, you can ride up the road and just ride the trail downhill (or even shuttle).
    -Glenwild trails (assuming enough snow) are sometimes groomed for riding. The front side (Swaner preserve) gets enough traffic to pack down nicely too even if no grooming is happening.
    -Armstrong is often rideable (as an out and back, in the winter the uphill-only rule isn't really enforced) but be careful when crossing ski runs.
    -Iron Bill and surrounding trails (stay off of RTS! Ski only!) are often in good shape for fatbikes.
    -Rail trail to Wanship is open to fatbikes, but pretty flat/boring IMO.

Have fun!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Storm Cycles in Kimball has fatbikes to rent.

Rides:
    -Round Valley has the fat loop (~8 miles, mostly singletrack). You can also ride on the groomed skate ski trails, assuming you're not a jerk about it (ie, if you're leaving a track, turn around). More info at the Mountain Trails Foundation site.
    -Lost Prospector and the surrounding trails are usually packed in enough by hikers to ride.
    -Rob's/Collins/Dubois near the Canyons. If you can't climb it, you can ride up the road and just ride the trail downhill (or even shuttle).
    -Glenwild trails (assuming enough snow) are sometimes groomed for riding. The front side (Swaner preserve) gets enough traffic to pack down nicely too even if no grooming is happening.
    -Armstrong is often rideable (as an out and back, in the winter the uphill-only rule isn't really enforced) but be careful when crossing ski runs.
    -Iron Bill and surrounding trails (stay off of RTS! Ski only!) are often in good shape for fatbikes.
    -Rail trail to Wanship is open to fatbikes, but pretty flat/boring IMO.

Have fun!

-Walt
    Great info! Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    FYI, based on the current 2 week forecast, I'm not sure I would bother renting a fatbike, as there may very well be no snow left on any of the trails mentioned (except Rob's and maybe Lost Prospector, which will both be sheets of ice interspersed with mudpits). When are you coming out?

If it's as grim as it's supposed to be, your only option will be riding super early when the mud is still frozen. Boo.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We will be out there in two weeks. Thanks for the heads up; I wonít bother reserving anything in advance if that is the case. At most I would just get out for a spin on one of the bike paths. Praying for snow!

Moderator Moderator
    The grimness has continued. You will not be needing a fatbike. Trails are nothing but mud, and it's not even freezing overnight (my thermometer says 42 here and it's 7am).

To be honest, I would just cancel the whole trip, the skiing is beyond awful as well.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Yep. Skip PC. Go up to Grand Targhee and enjoy the 23 feet of snow they've received.

mtbr member
    Quick p.s. (for future reference?) here's a link to the MTF Facebook page for reports on Round Valley and the Prospector area:
    https://www.facebook.com/mountaintrailsfoundation/
    Their website is Mountain Trails ‚ÄĒ Park City's Trail System

Basin Recreation maintains trails a bit farther north (Glenwild, etc.); for info see
    Trail Conditions