Park City - Driving through this Saturday, with time for one medium length ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City - Driving through this Saturday, with time for one medium length ride

Hi! As the title indicates, headed toward Sun Valley from SoCal this coming Saturday, July 30th, and spending one night in Park City. With limited time, we're hoping to get in one ride either late afternoon Saturday if weather permits or Sunday morning. Any suggestions for a X/C ride close to town, easily navigable, in the two-hour range, with good fun factor? We're fit, experienced riders, no strangers to climbing at elevation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I didn't do it
    Head up the Ontario Bypass (from Daly Canyon) and catch Midmountain trail and turn right. Look for Team Big Bear and head up and catch the Flagstaff Loop. You'll eventually more or less come back down the same way but you could extend the ride by coming down Tour des Suds, hitting the Midmountain trail again, etc. There's a ton of possibilities all over the mountain though. Check out this link for some maps. Enjoy!

Summer Trails
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was thinking Jenni's to MM to Johns 99 to Little Chief back to MM to Tommys Two Steps. Down Mojave to MM to CMG. Start and ends at PCMR.

mtbr member
    Many thanks for the advice, folks! Looks like plenty of great options for a twoish-hour ride out there.

Frame Building Moderator
    Flying Dog. Much easier to navigate, better flow, super nice. Around 2 hours if you do the smallest (Preserve Connector up) route.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Flying dog is nice, but if you're only doing one ride, do it in park city proper.

A nice ride I did recently: ride up Jenni's, mid mountain to team big bear, up to flagstaff, over to and down tidal wave (I'm no gravity guy, but tidal wave is one of the most fun trails I've ever ridden) then back on mid mountain to pcmr.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Frame Building Moderator
    All of the stuff at PCMR fails the "easily navigable" requirement, folks. It's a freaking maze, plus it's stupid crowded. FD will be way better for the OP.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    jeesh you all are too funny... dear OP, stop in at a bike shop(Jans) and pick up a trail map. If you know how to read a map the PC trails are quite easy to navigate. ask the one of the sales persons or mechanics for a recommendation/beta. pretty standard procedure for visiting a new riding area.

enjoy.

mtbr member
    Flying Dog and Glendwild is pretty hot this time of year. I would say go up Armstrong then head south on Mid Mountain. Then depending on time just check your map/trailforks for a way down when you are ready. Empire Link is pretty fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    If you know how to read a map the PC trails are quite easy to navigate.
    I've lived and biked here for 26 years and I still can't make sense of that map!

I didn't do it
    LOL, it ain't that hard! Have fun out there everybody!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Frame Building Moderator

Presented without comment

Same zoomage. No idea why Trailforks decided to delete Cobblestone and the Glenwild/Flying Dog link.

-Walt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Park City - Driving through this Saturday, with time for one medium length ride-screen-shot-2016-07-29-9.10.12-pm.jpg  

Park City - Driving through this Saturday, with time for one medium length ride-screen-shot-2016-07-29-9.10.26-pm.png  

mtbr member
    Thanks again, everyone, for all the great feedback! Hittin' the road in a few minutes. Looking forward to visiting Park City and getting at least one ride in. Have a great weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    LOL, it ain't that hard! Have fun out there everybody!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbBvBx4Ptg

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Hahahah, too funny!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    Thanks again, everyone, for all the great feedback! Hittin' the road in a few minutes. Looking forward to visiting Park City and getting at least one ride in. Have a great weekend!
    Have a great trip. Sun Valley should be a hoot as well. I don't know if the Stanley area is on the agenda but getting up there for a day would be fantastic.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    So, where did you end up riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian View Post
    So, where did you end up riding?
    We ended up having a super fun ride on Flying Dog. It worked out very well for us. Barely even a detour on the way out of town. Very simple to follow. We started early, so heat wasn’t an issue. Relatively easy 1.5 hour spin with great flow. Excellent way to kick off the day before driving to Sun Valley.

I realize that Flying Dog is a different experience than riding in Park City proper, but it worked out great for our purposes on this particular trip. We look forward to returning to Park City and staying for a full week of riding next time around. I’ll definitely refer back to these trail recommendations then.

Side note: The afternoon we arrived in town, my wife and I checked into our hotel and then went walking around downtown. As we were strolling up Main Street, Peter Sagan rolled by on his mountain bike. We chatted with him for a few minutes and got a photo. Nice guy. Fast forward one week later. Now we’re having lunch at a restaurant in Driggs, Idaho. Who’s sitting at the table next to us - Peter Sagan! What are the odds?

The rest of the trip was awesome! We enjoyed a great week of riding around Sun Valley, and another great week of riding around Driggs. Sadly, it’s back to reality for a while…

mtbr member
    Peter showed up and raced at our weekly Tuesday night races last week too. Pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian View Post
    Peter showed up and raced at our weekly Tuesday night races last week too. Pretty cool!
    Very cool! Reminds me of when Tinker used to show up to the small local races in SoCal back when I used to compete in the 90s. Peter was in Driggs for the Pierre's Hole 50K Race at Grand Targhee. He won and set a course record. We rode the same trails a couple days later. Great fun!

mtbr member
    Love me some Flying Dog. Nothing like truly earning a long and awesome downhill/ DH flow.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crushinit View Post
    Love me some Flying Dog. Nothing like truly earning a long and awesome downhill/ DH flow.

Yep! Good times start here:

Park City - Driving through this Saturday, with time for one medium length ride-fdsign.jpg
    Last edited by JimN; 08-18-2016 at 01:57 PM.