Park City (Deer Valley) or Whistler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Park City (Deer Valley) or Whistler

Hey Everyone,

I am faced with a really good dilemma, do I go back to Whistler again this season or do something different like Deer Valley in Park City??

I have a work trip coming up and I can quite easily get myself to Salt Lake City (1h 30m flight) so I was thinking about checking out Park City.

I won't have a car (and don't really want to hire one) and I cannot really drag my bike along with me so I wanted to hire a bike and stay somewhere close to the trails. Can anyone recommend which area of Deer Valley will be convenient for this?

It looks like they hire decent bikes at Deer Valley (Scott Gambler) and looks like they have trail bikes as well so I could do a bit of both while I am there. Could someone confirm?

Ive been to Whistler a few times and I bloody love it however this trip would be during Crankworx so I am a little concerned about the crowds.. It's also a fair but further for me to get to so there is that too. The plus side is I know the place well and I know I can stay in the village, walk down grab a bike each day and just ride hence all the questions above about deer valley.

The kind of trails I love in Whistler are No Joke, Original Sin, Blue Velvet, Fatcrobat, Too Tight, Devils Club, Pizza Cat, Ho Chi Min, Ninja Cougar, Angry Pirate and of course classics like Crank it up, C More...

Not really into high speed jump trails / massive jumps etc because I'm too much of a wuss.

I plan to spend about 12 days there so curious if there is enough variety in the Deer Valley bike park and surrounding XC trails to keep me interested or if I should put up with the crowds in Whister

mtbr member
    Tough call. If you were really hitting the hard stuff at Whistler, I'd say it's no contest. Park City has very little to compete, or so I am told. Lift served at Deer Valley could keep you occupied for a few days, I suppose. The beauty of the Park City riding is that you have about 400 miles (over 600 km) of singletrack. If you're willing to forgo lift served, that has kept me occupied for almost 30 years.

Bike rentals are widely available at the resorts and trail access is quite easy with free buses available to haul you around, with your bike. I would call the hotels you are interested in and ask them if they have accommodations that include bike storage so you don't have to rent and return every day. "Staying close to the trailheads" may be more difficult here, as they are spread out over a wide area, though I don't know how centrally located they are at Whistler, as I've never been there.

When are you planning on coming out?

Here is a map. It doesn't have all of the trails, but it does have most of them.
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

I did this ride yesterday.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1705325161

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hey there thanks for replying, I am heading there mid August.

Staying in Whistler village is super convenient if you stay somewhere central. Roll out of bed get a bike from hire shop and hit the trails and then once you are done take the bike back and go grab a beer I was really hoping not to have to worry about my bike when I am not riding which is why I asked.

It sounds like maybe I should do a few days in Deer Valley and then keep my options open for other riding. If I stay in Deer Valley it looks like I can access a lot of the other trails around the place is that correct?

I just don't want to limit myself with choosing the wrong area to stay in..

On another point is there much up in Deer Valley or will I be a little bored in the evenings? Not like I want to go out and party but some nice places to have a beer and get a bite to eat would be nice

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that there's much "nightlife" at DV during the summer. But I'm 66 and married, so our nightlife consists of downing Ibuprofen and early bed!

The Park City downtown scene is livelier, I'm sure. As I was stumbling to my car yesterday, I went by the Marriott's Summer Watch hotel at the resort at Park City (I think that was the name, but could be wrong). It looked pretty nice, is near downtown PC, so should be near activities, and is close to lifts at PCMR and rentals. The "No name Saloon" and all of these as well ( https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=bar...ark+City%2C+UT ).

If you are at Deer Valley, you can easily access all of the trails. You really can at Park City Mountain Resort also (which provides lift access to get you to a good starting point on the mountain), but like I said, the free bus system makes that a non-issue anywhere in the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like maybe my best bet is to stay somewhere central and use the bus system as you mentioned that sounds pretty awesome.

I guess the layout is very different, I should have had a better look at the maps. I am looking at where that Marriot summit watch hotel is on the map is that 'Downtown' or the PCMR or kinda both? sorry just a little confused

I thought I read somewhere that PCMR was closed for MTB lift access this year or have I gotten the wrong info?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Whistler hands down has the better bike park. If you're planning to ride the park most of your riding days, I think Whistler is the easy choice. With that said, if you're not strictly a park guy, I don't think you'll be disappointed in PC/DV. You could spend 3 days in the DV park and not get bored, and there is a shit ton of XC riding between PCMR, Canyons and DV, plenty to fill the rest of the days on your trip. Outside of the DV bike park, the average level of difficulty of the XC trails here is a fair bit easier than what you'll find in Squamish or compared to the average Whistler valley XC trail. There is not a lot of gnar, but there are a few select trails scattered around that earn a true black rating (pull up a map of the area on Trailforks).

You can definitely grab a beer after riding in DV, but I agree with MSU Alum, if you want a walkable nightlife scene (and something that more closely resembles Whistler Village atmosphere [but on a smaller scale]), stay in downtown PC near Main Street rather than DV. The DV village areas are much smaller and they tend to be upscale so not really inviting the nightlife crowd. Other places like Montage or the St. Regis are more or less stand alone resorts (albeit sometimes huge) so you'll have what is available within that particular property. From downtown PC, if you're renting a DH bike from the Silver Lake area in DV for your park days you can ride the free bus and pick up and drop off your bike there each day. For your XC riding days, you can pick up a bike from one of the shops close to downtown and ride straight from the shop to the trails. My experience is limited to a few staycations, but I think most places in PC allow bikes in the room or have a valet service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Awesome info mate thank you!

I agree Whistler is rad, huge and it's difficult to find anything quite like it but I don't really feel like dealing with huge lines at Crankworkx. Plus I have a chance to ride somewhere different that also looks amazing so I reckon I will be heading to Park City.

I don't care that much about night life but I will be traveling alone so I don't want to sit in my hotel room by myself every night. I at least want to be able to wonder around and have a yarn..

I just found this video on Youtube and I reckon I will enjoy myself if I am riding trails like these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBohl3I7YRE

I am only a little shy about epic trail rides because for the past 18 months I have been not been able to ride all that much so long climbs kill me

It looks like riding a decent AM bike will be more fun than a full on DH bike at Deer Valley would you agree? Something like an Enduro or Nomad for example.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah, I forgot you mentioned that Crankworx would be going on at the same time. Give PC a try for sure. Like I said, I think you'll be stoked as long as you come in knowing that you aren't going to really take advantage of the area without planning several days of pedaling outside the park. I don't want to undersell DV, it's a really fun place to ride. It's just not Whistler, but that's not meant as an insult in any way. An Enduro or Nomad is enough bike for the DV park. I've never rented a full on DH bike to ride there, but with that said a full DH rig would not be overkill for the double black trails in DV like Fireswamp and Thieves Forest. Maybe give it a go on a DH bike the first day and then decide from there what you want to ride after that. A trail bike or a relatively efficient AM/Enduro bike is what you'll want for the non-park days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by human642 View Post
    Awesome info mate thank you!

I agree Whistler is rad, huge and it's difficult to find anything quite like it but I don't really feel like dealing with huge lines at Crankworkx. Plus I have a chance to ride somewhere different that also looks amazing so I reckon I will be heading to Park City.

I don't care that much about night life but I will be traveling alone so I don't want to sit in my hotel room by myself every night. I at least want to be able to wonder around and have a yarn..

I just found this video on Youtube and I reckon I will enjoy myself if I am riding trails like these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBohl3I7YRE

I am only a little shy about epic trail rides because for the past 18 months I have been not been able to ride all that much so long climbs kill me

It looks like riding a decent AM bike will be more fun than a full on DH bike at Deer Valley would you agree? Something like an Enduro or Nomad for example.
    Funny. The most recent comment from yesterday is from "kayakutah" which is me. Go on Twist and Shout while there.

When you are in town, post if you want someone to ride with. I'll probably be in Alaska, but I'm sure there are locals who will volunteer to show you the local trails.

I ride DV on my Yeti SB5 with a 160 Pike up front. But then I ride everything on that. Not optimum, for sure, but an All Mountain bike would be fine. If you want to ride hard on the harder flow trails, a DH bike would be better of course, but overkill on most stuff.

This is Tsunami to Fire Swamp.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJdL1iSEsWo

Here's Tidal Wave to Twist and Shout.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux20WfgL5_I

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    It doesn't matter much where you stay. If you want to get into PC from DV, it's a 5 minute free bus ride (or very easy spin on your bike). The base areas/restaurants/etc are only separated by 2 miles at most.

Deer Valley will entertain you for 2 days. I have a hard time imagining it would be fun for longer than that. So you'll want to ride XC some as well.

I'd go to Whistler, but I live here and ride here every day, so there's that.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Park City and Deer Valley are fun, but not on Whistler level. If it were me and I had twelve days to ride, Iíd go to Whistler hands down. Two or three days on the classic lifts in the park. Two or three days checking out the new stuff at Creekside and off TOTW, two or three days riding the west side and valley trails including Into the Mystic/Lord of the Squirrels and two or three days in Squamish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hey KRob,

I know what you mean so much stuff to explore there. Creekside wasn't open when I was there recently and neither was TOTW so its very tempting.

Have you ever been there during crankworx? Can I avoid crowds by sticking to Garbo and Creekside or am I dreaming?

I might even consider staying at creekside if its a little quieter.

mtbr member
    I am just back from Park City and it was perfect for me, lots of sweet cross country trails which was right up my alley.

We stayed at Marriott Mountainside right at the base of Park City Mtn. To me, thatís an ideal location because you can ride Park City Mtn, or hop on Mid Mountain and ride over to Deer Valley or the other direction to The Canyons. I did a mini epic one day, 8 mile/3000 ft climb to get to the Wasatch Crest Trail, then descended into the Canyons and rode back on the road. I did the same when I rode over to Deer Valley, just rode back on the road. We bought a pass one day for the Adventure Park, which included lift access so one day I took the lift up at the Canyons and then rode Mid Mtn back to Park City Mtn. My point being: Park City Mtn is a pretty central locale. We loved it so much, we bought a summer timeshare for the purpose of me going back regularly to mountain bike.

I rolled my bike out through the lobby of the Marriott every morning with the front desk staff wishing me a great ride and them asking how my ride was when I returned. So you donít need to worry about the bike, just keep it in the room like I did. Pro tip: itís a timeshare, they donít have daily housekeeping anyway.

Keeping you bike on hand has another advantage- you can ride to the store or to get something to eat. Sit outside and keep an eye on the bike like everyone else does.

You could probably rent cheaply from a timeshare owner at the Marriott, Iím guessing $800 for a studio week which will have limited kitchen facilities vs maybe $1200 for a 1BR with a full kitchen and washer-dryer in the unit. Nice place. If you want to consider it, message me and Iíll try to show you where to find stuff like that.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Air quality in Park City can be problematic. All the locals sit around idling their cars after they ride with their heads buried in their iPhones. Then there are the construction trucks and city buses with no emissions requirements that spew black diesel exhaust everywhere. I'd estimate that about 1/5 of the cars on the road at any time are spewing black diesel exhaust. Add in the crappy air that blows in from Salt Lake City (which is an apocalyptic hell hole) or neighboring wildfires, and I find that there aren't enough days with clean air in Park City.

Here's what the air quality currently looks like in the Park City area (Park City is the 80 reading in the middle, right of the image):

Park City (Deer Valley) or Whistler-air_quality.jpg

I don't ride if the AQI (Air Quality Index) is above 50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Air quality in Park City can be problematic. All the locals sit around idling their cars after they ride with their heads buried in their iPhones. Then there are the construction trucks and city buses with no emissions requirements that spew black diesel exhaust everywhere. I'd estimate that about 1/5 of the cars on the road at any time are spewing black diesel exhaust. Add in the crappy air that blows in from Salt Lake City (which is an apocalyptic hell hole) or neighboring wildfires, and I find that there aren't enough days with clean air in Park City.

Here's what the air quality currently looks like in the Park City area (Park City is the 80 reading in the middle, right of the image):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air_quality.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	1209730

I don't ride if the AQI (Air Quality Index) is above 50.
    You think 20% of the cars in Park City are diesel?
    I bet we have more CNG vehicles than diesel.

We are in the process of transitioning our fleet of free buses to electric. I think we have 6 with 7 on order, though we may be further along by now.

The air quality (and heat) improve dramatically as you get higher.

The problem is the wildfires.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-26-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Air quality sucks everywhere in the west right now due to fires. It has nothing to do with PC.

I agree that SLC is getting to be an apocalyptic hellhole, though.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The air quality (and heat) improve dramatically as you get higher.
    Why does air quality improve as you go up in altitude?

We are in the process of transitioning our fleet of free buses to electric.
    Good news. I found it inexplicable that there was a bus stop in front of PCMARK, where buses idled and spewed exhaust at the front door of a health club. Although, most of the members of said health club sat in their cars in the parking lot, with heads bowed to their electronic gods idling away for 20, 30, or 40 minutes at a time, so the air quality around the health club was terrible anyway. One day, I saw some guy in a big white diesel truck in the parking lot with some fishing company logo on the door idling away for over 1.5 hours as he conducted his business from the cab of his truck. Another day, I saw a massive LeBus idling away for at least 30 minutes. For some reason, commercial vehicles liked to use the PCMARK parking lot to sit and idle their diesel vehicles.

I politely asked both men and women cyclists in the Park City base parking lot if they would stop idling their cars when they had been idling next to me for over 10 minutes, and I was met with 100% "**** off"'s. The only person who apologized and turned their car off was a tourist who wasn't a cyclist. If cyclists aren't willing to do everything in their power to improve the air quality, then there's no hope.

I think that in five years Park City is going to have consistently crappy air quality. There are just too many construction projects and too many diesel trucks servicing those projects driving around town, and there are too many people who get into their cars, turn the ignition on, then bow their heads for 30 minutes as they idle away. Who knew? iPhones cause air pollution.

mtbr member

Good news. I found it inexplicable that there was a bus stop in front of PCMARK, where buses idled and spewed exhaust at the front door of a health club. Although, most of the members of said health club sat in their cars in the parking lot, with heads bowed to their electronic gods idling away for 20, 30, or 40 minutes at a time, so the air quality around the health club was terrible anyway. One day, I saw some guy in a big white diesel truck in the parking lot with some fishing company logo on the door idling away for over 1.5 hours as he conducted his business from the cab of his truck. Another day, I saw a massive LeBus idling away for at least 30 minutes. For some reason, commercial vehicles liked to use the PCMARK parking lot to sit and idle their diesel vehicles.

I politely asked both men and women cyclists in the Park City base parking lot if they would stop idling their cars when they had been idling next to me for over 10 minutes, and I was met with 100% "**** off"'s. The only person who apologized and turned their car off was a tourist who wasn't a cyclist. If cyclists aren't willing to do everything in their power to improve the air quality, then there's no hope.

I think that in five years Park City is going to have consistently crappy air quality. There are just too many construction projects and too many diesel trucks servicing those projects driving around town, and there are too many people who get into their cars, turn the ignition on, then bow their heads for 30 minutes as they idle away. Who knew? iPhones cause air pollution.
    Of course....I wake up this morning with a stuffy nose and a layer of haze from the poor air quality (fires).

The haze reduces as you get higher because it's mostly particulate matter and at some point you just get above it.

There is a Park City ordinance (and a Utah statute) against idling for more than one minute. Enforcement is probably spotty. I wouldn't complain about someone idling for a few minutes in their driveway, but I'd sure call the local gendarmes if I saw a truck idling for half an hour!

This is a picture yesterday at Deer Valley at about 9000 feet. You can see the haze and get an idea of how it reduces as you get higher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Park City (Deer Valley) or Whistler-dv-resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've got a picture like that:

Park City (Deer Valley) or Whistler-img_0439.jpg

mtbr member
    I just returned from 10 days in Whistler yesterday and rode all the same stuff you like....plus the big jump lines. I also enjoy riding in Deer Valley and since you've been to Whistler many times, I'd give the Park City/DV area a try.....but as has been mentioned, there's no real comparison to Whistler other than they both have trees. You can stay close to trails and get to them VERY easily. I actually wouldn't worry about Crankworx though. I actually hear the trails are empty because everybody is watching the event.

As far as Park City vs Whistler Village for food. NO COMPARISON!! Whistler village is 1000X better with great variety, excellent food and a much better vibe just to hang out in and relax. Park City used to be similar but now most of the restaurants try to hard to be hip & trendy (and/or pretentious) and it comes across phony and ridiculously expensive. Due to the exchange rate, eating in Whistler is probably half the cost of Park City.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I have only been to both places once, but I think 12 days in PC/DV would get old. If TOTW and Creekside weren't open when you were there, that opens a ton of new stuff. I vote Whistler. If you go, do TOTW and drop into Ride Don't Slide. So fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by human642 View Post
    Hey KRob,

I know what you mean so much stuff to explore there. Creekside wasn't open when I was there recently and neither was TOTW so its very tempting.

Have you ever been there during crankworx? Can I avoid crowds by sticking to Garbo and Creekside or am I dreaming?

I might even consider staying at creekside if its a little quieter.
    We were there the week before Crankworx and the EWS Enduro and it wasnít bad. Iíd just avoid Whistler bike park right during crankworx. Still plenty of stuff to ride. Heck, I think I could spend 12 days in Squamish and Pemberton and never get enough. But, yeah, that may affect your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    About the air quality in PC. Yeah, the fires in Cali are stuffing the west with smoke and PC is really bad because of it, but I also find that the air in PC is very polluted when fires are not a problem.

It's kind of a bummer to see the inversion is so thick that it spills into Heber and a lot of days the layers are enveloping PC. I never saw this when I lived here before. It's just always hazy no matter what time of the season. I don't think any politicians in Utah will do anything to change this, except attract even more people here to make the air quality worse.

It's weird though. When I bring up air pollution to people that have been here for a long time, they look at me like I am crazy. I mention I can't see Timp from the top of Claytons a few weeks ago and the people up there with me acted like I was crazy and it was a perfectly clear day. I think everyone is just so used to pollution by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    About the air quality in PC. Yeah, the fires in Cali are stuffing the west with smoke and PC is really bad because of it, but I also find that the air in PC is very polluted when fires are not a problem.

It's kind of a bummer to see the inversion is so thick that it spills into Heber and a lot of days the layers are enveloping PC. I never saw this when I lived here before. It's just always hazy no matter what time of the season. I don't think any politicians in Utah will do anything to change this, except attract even more people here to make the air quality worse.

It's weird though. When I bring up air pollution to people that have been here for a long time, they look at me like I am crazy. I mention I can't see Timp from the top of Claytons a few weeks ago and the people up there with me acted like I was crazy and it was a perfectly clear day. I think everyone is just so used to pollution by now.
    Yes, the inversion gets to Heber (1000+ feet lower than PC and without a pass for protection) pretty often.

It really does not get to PC, basically. You can easily verify this on PurpleAir if you're curious.

Pollution in the summer (ozone) does transport to PC from SLC, winter PM2.5, not so much.

That's not to say the constant population growth won't make it an issue sooner or later, of course. If it does, we're out of here.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I don't know what it takes to be considered an inversion, but I was up at DV almost every day this last season and I saw a bunch of days that looked exactly like an inversion in the PC basin from up above. Even if it isn't enough to be considered an inversion, it certainly was extremely smoggy and you could see the air as I drove through PC just like you can in SLC.

This used to never happen before, but that was 15-20 years ago when I was living here and working at DV.

I also notice a lot of people like to throw out ozone numbers, but air pollution is a lot more than just ozone.

mtbr member
    I don't know what it takes to be considered an inversion, but I was up at DV almost every day this last season and I saw a bunch of days that looked exactly like an inversion in the PC basin from up above. Even if it isn't enough to be considered an inversion, it certainly was extremely smoggy and you could see the air as I drove through PC just like you can in SLC.

This used to never happen before, but that was 15-20 years ago when I was living here and working at DV.

I also notice a lot of people like to throw out ozone numbers, but air pollution is a lot more than just ozone.
    Normally, air temperature decreases with altitude. In an inversion the reverse is true. It happens a lot. All over the place. When I lived in Montana ('70-'77) it was common with a high pressure system to have temps in the teens at the bottom of the ski area and in the 20's higher up. A "package" of polluted air at lower altitude will cool as it is lifted, so at some point it can't get any higher because the surrounding air is too warm to allow it.

I got in over 80 days at Deer Valley, skiing, last year (just about every year, in fact, and I moved here in 1989). There were plenty of days when there were inversions, but with the high ground to the west, and prevailing air flow FROM the west, it is not usually a factor in visible pollution. Heber, Salt Lake, Kamas, Logan and the whole of the Wasatch FRONT trap the air orographically in a way Park City does not. All basins with this sort of arrangement (L.A., San Diego, even places like Kalispell, Montana, etc.) tend toward this sort of event. I retired as an airline pilot last August, and for 30 years I saw the phenomenon in Salt Lake where it affected aviation dramatically.

I've seen accumulating smoke in the PC area from fires, but it's rare that the types of air pollution in PC (including, but as you say, not limited to, ozone) is visible unless wildfires are involved. This summer, with fires all over the place and a stubborn high over the west, it has been the rule. In winter, in particular, it's a rarity. I don't remember last winter being much different, but it's hard to prove a negative.

Of course, I could just be experiencing the "boiling frog" fable first hand.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 08-09-2018 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Even though one might see a layer of "smog" in Heber or Park City (which a good portion of is often water vapor) during an inversion, it has no where near the amount of pollution in it as the valley has. If it did, Wasatch and Summit counties would be considered "non-attainment" areas by DAQ and thus would have stricter emission rules.

mtbr member
    It's definitely not water vapor in Heber. You can see the smog flow in like a river up Provo Canyon into Heber after storms move out. I'm born and raised in this area and had never seen this river of pollution spill into Heber and the smog (or water vapor for people that want to pretend it isn't a problem) never happened at this level before I left. Now that I am back it is amazing to see how bad it has become.

I was about to stay here permanently again, but the smog in Heber and PC quickly changed our minds on that one. I just hope that something is done, but politician only care about growth and why tackle a big problem if people move here in spite of the pollution?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's definitely not water vapor in Heber. You can see the smog flow in like a river up Provo Canyon into Heber after storms move out. I'm born and raised in this area and had never seen this river of pollution spill into Heber and the smog (or water vapor for people that want to pretend it isn't a problem) never happened at this level before I left. Now that I am back it is amazing to see how bad it has become.
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...might-be-both/

Water Vapor is indeed a large part of what you see. There is certainly pollution associated with it, but again, nothing like in the valley.

I lived in Timberlakes for 19 years and have lived in Heber for the past 4 years. I have never once, felt like, seen data, or reports that our air was bad. It looks worse than it is.

As I said, DAQ monitors these things, if PC and Heber were exceeding the limits, we would be considered "non-attainment" areas. I know this because I am an environmental Manager at a large manufacturing facility in PC, we have an Air Permit. Since Summit county is an "attainment" area (below the limits) we have less strict requirements to meet.....but I suppose you have better information.

mtbr member
    You can talk all you want about what the Utah government wants to have measured, but I have been in Utah since 1980 and the Heber area has never looked the way it does not. It is not water vapor. Where was this water vapor in the 80's, 90's, and the early 2000's? The pollution is rolling in here year round now. All of Utah needs to require emissions testing right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lol....ok, it seems like you've got it all figured out, you should share your findings with DAQ. I'll continue to be on the lookout for that nasty air.

Regarding your emissions comment....you claim the pollution is coming from Utah county....they already have emission testing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I spend 2 weeks to 2 months in Deer Valley each summer and have not noticed much/any difference in the air there (or visibility) for the last couple decades, except for summers like this one where the fires seem to be the cause. Oh, and last summer for about an hour during the eclipse. That was kinda eerie.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot 429SL (for sale)
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I agree with this completely. People in SLC/PC idle their cars way too much. 70 degree day - idle the cars. Ridiculous. And I have noticed that too - smart phones are highly correlated with idling.

I have also asked people to turn off their cars. Most give me the finger.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    drboudreaux,

You'll appreciate this one then. A guy in a massive white diesel pickup with dark tinted windows pulled into the PCMARK parking lot and sat there idling away for about 10 minutes. I approached the driver's side of the car, and the driver rolled down his window. I politely asked the driver if he could not idle his car because it was filling up the parking lot with diesel exhaust. He looked me up and down and demanded to know if I was a neighbor or landowner. I replied that I was a member of PCMARK. He stared at me with hate in his eyes, and then he informed me that he had been parked for 5 minutes and the law says that he can idle his car for 10 minutes, then he rolled up his window and kept idling. Five minutes later, he turned off his engine. lol. What an ahole! Ten minutes later he drove away.

I looked up the law, and the law says it's illegal to idle your car for more than 1 minute. I wrote down his license plate, and I submitted the info to:

https://www.parkcity.org/departments...ling-ordinance

For those who want to check their local air quality, check out purpleair.com/map - there are sensors everywhere for PM2.5 now and even if the state DEQ website doesn't monitor Heber - there are sensors that do.

As of right now, AQI in the PC area is around 100 (not great), and in Heber it's about the same. If you're worried about winter inversion pollution ending up in Heber, you'll be able to see that happen in realtime by checking in with Purple Air.

Just be glad you're not in Spanish Fork!

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    I agree with this completely. People in SLC/PC idle their cars way too much. 70 degree day - idle the cars. Ridiculous. And I have noticed that too - smart phones are highly correlated with idling.

I have also asked people to turn off their cars. Most give me the finger.
    As a stranger from another land I'm curious why are these people sitting in their cars? Do they leave the engine on for AC/heat depending on the season? Apologies for the ignorance but I don't think I've experienced what you guys are describing, is it a Utah thing or is it more widespread, next time I'm in the States I'll have to look out for it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasdownunder View Post
    As a stranger from another land I'm curious why are these people sitting in their cars? Do they leave the engine on for AC/heat depending on the season? Apologies for the ignorance but I don't think I've experienced what you guys are describing, is it a Utah thing or is it more widespread, next time I'm in the States I'll have to look out for it!
    No. It's not that common, but for some reason these guys really have their panties in a twist about it.

Stand by for a lecture.....