Park City/Deer Valley Downhill & Cross country- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Park City/Deer Valley Downhill & Cross country

My buddy and I may be coming to Park City for business and would like to extend the trip with some downhilling and cross country. The trip is not until September 10. I understand that the resorts are winding down their downhilling at that time. How is the downhilling at these resorts? What about cross country at this time of the year. We were also considering a side trip to Moab if its not too far away? Would it be worth it with all the great riding in Park City? Any suggestions, we only have about 4 days to ride.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

The downhilling in Park City will still be going then, though Deer Valley may be open only on Saturdays at that time. Wolf Mountain is about an hour from SLC and Deer Valley and is actually much better for DHing, though for out of towners, you may prefer Deer Valley as it is a bit more established. Wolf Mountain is good, but still fledgling, however. Others may be able to provide some additional insight on that topic, as it has been about 6 weeks since I was at Wolf.

As for XC riding in Park City, September is a beautiful time of year to ride. Conditions should be perfect, though it may be a little dry depending on the precipitation at that time.

As for Moab, with only 4 days to ride, I would stay up north near SLC. Moab is still too hot on most weekends in September and you will lose a full day (8 hours) travelling back and forth to go to Moab. Come back in October or November to go to Moab.

Hope that helps.

Fartographer
    There's so much awesome big mountain trail riding in and around Salt Lake that I would just stay and ride here. I moved here in the spring and thought I'd be riding Deer Valley every weekend. But I am so psyched about all the trail rides up the canyons and in Park City that I've only ridden Deer Valley once. Just make sure to bring an extra lung if you want to ride the real good stuff
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    I'm going to Deer Valley for a week on Aug 11.

Questions:
    1) I've gotta rent cause I'm too lazy to drag my bikes there. Any suggestions on decent rental places? Do I need to reserve now?
    2) Any recs for XC trails that are can't miss?
    3) My wife is a big trail runner. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Jans and White Pine Touring in Park City both have very good and well maintained rental fleets. Agreed about everything said here earlier.. But Deer Valley is pretty killer too.. cheers, andre

mtbr member
    Yeah, I got a Santa Cruz Blur from Jans. It's like riding a couch compared to my rigid SS Chameleon and my cyclocross rigs.

I'vd done mid mountain going up Team Big Bear. Today I did a bunch around Deer Valley. I really liked Deer Camp and Flagstaff, more my style as I'm not much of a true DHer.

My wife's a trail runner so we're probably going to try the Glenwild Loop tomorrow. She'll run and I'll ride.

If I still have legs, I may try Spiro on Thu.

Members who have read this thread: 0