Park City / Deer Valley -- DH Rig or Enduro Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City / Deer Valley -- DH Rig or Enduro Bike?

I'm looking forward to my first opportunity to ride the Park City area in late August. The forum has been a wealth of information on shops and trails to check out, but I have a slightly different question. Although I am definitely up to explore all manner of local trails, my top choice is chunky technical DH stuff, gaps, berms, etc. I typically ride a coiled Nomad 4 tilted toward DH. Deer Valley sounds like the consensus for bike park terrain, but maybe not as extreme as some areas. My question: should I rent a DH bike from DV (or another place?) or would an enduro rig from Storm, Jans, etc. be fine for the scale of hits at DV? If I rent an non-DH bike, it would have the upside of being able to explore local PC trails a bit more around town (staying downtown PC). Any thoughts appreciated!!
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You'd probably be fine on an enduro rig for the duration of your trip, but there may be a few times when it's less than ideal. With so many of the newer trails at DV being flow/jump lines an enduro bike might actually be preferred for many trails. With that said, there are a small handful of trails in the park that a DH rig would be totally appropriate for, and it sounds like those trails have high interest for you. If you're going to do a couple of days in the park you could ride a DH bike on day 1 and then gauge whether to swap to an enduro rig for the next. Outside of the DV bike park, an enduro or even a trail bike would be totally appropriate. You'll have to earn your DH, and there are only a few steep/gnar options that are generally not that easy to find without a local. For higher end enduro/trail bike options look into demo bike options at the shops rather than their standard rental fleet bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you ride in Marin like I do, then I assume you are comfortable pedaling a fair amount and the vast majority of the Park City experience requires pedaling and does not require a bike anything like your Nomad DH set up. In fact, the only trails at Deer Valley which require more than a mid-travel bike are Thieves Forest, the old DH course, and the upper half of Fire Swamp. I spend at least a week there every summer and typically bring my 100mm travel XC bike and I have ridden pretty much everything besides those three trails relatively comfortably as long as I have AM tires - although several trails like Red Bull really deserve a slack 130+ travel bike to enjoy them. Jans used to rent Nomads and I would go for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry, Jans used to rent Bronsonís.