mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Park City Beginner Trails w/o (little) climbing

We are coming out in a week with a 6 and 7 y.o. I want to get on the trails. My youngest rides a SS 16in. bike. I'd prefer some sort of shuttle (lift access?) or flat trails since we are coming from WI (no elevation). They are comfortable on our local pump track and the easiest single track. Round valley would be great but our oldest is VERY allergic to dogs. Off-leash areas are a recipe for disaster and I fear will deter him from enjoying mountain biking. We will be staying near the PC base if that helps but have a car so a short drive is fine also. I know Walt had a post in the past but my searches have failed to pull it up. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's hard to be away from dogs in the Park City area. The Trailside Bike Park might be good for what you are looking for. There are beginner skills, jumps, and pump track features that are close to the parking lot. I coach 6-9 year olds and they love it there.
    There is an off leash dog area adjacent to the park but they usually stay out of the bike park itself. Kids gotta try Yabba dabba do. It is like a gently downhill pump track, bermed corners little jumps and whoops. There are some trails in the area also but that might bring you in contact with dogs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    It's hard to be away from dogs in the Park City area. The Trailside Bike Park might be good for what you are looking for. There are beginner skills, jumps, and pump track features that are close to the parking lot. I coach 6-9 year olds and they love it there.
    There is an off leash dog area adjacent to the park but they usually stay out of the bike park itself. Kids gotta try Yabba dabba do. It is like a gently downhill pump track, bermed corners little jumps and whoops. There are some trails in the area also but that might bring you in contact with dogs.
    Thank you. The dog issue is impossible to avoid in PC but we just try to minimize it as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Need to drive but if you go west on 80 and get off east canyon and drive big mtn pass. I believe that is hand down the best kids shuttle, no dogs allowed.
    Three shuttle stops before the summit. First stop below aflack park is perfect for 5-7 yr old.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mormon Trail down to lake, east side of road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Turd,

where are the 2nd and 3rd stops, and what rider level are they appropriate for? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Need to drive but if you go west on 80 and get off east canyon and drive big mtn pass. I believe that is hand down the best kids shuttle, no dogs allowed.
    Three shuttle stops before the summit. First stop below aflack park is perfect for 5-7 yr old.

Moderator Moderator
    UOP is your best (IMO) bet if you want to shuttle. The shuttle is quick and easy, you can shuttle to 3 different points on the road and get more ambitious as your kids gain confidence, and it's *right* by Kimball Jct for snacks afterwards. It's also a legitimately fun trail even for seasoned adult riders with great twists and turns on perfect dirt in a (somewhat scraggly) aspen grove.

The trail you want is called RTS, and you can start it from a couple different pullouts on the road up to the visitor center (look at it on trailforks, it'll be obvious where to go) or even from the visitor center itself (requires maybe 1 minute of walking/riding uphill, *somewhat* more difficult with a couple of switchbacks and one short section with some small rocks). If your kids are just killing it on that, drive up the back side (Bear Hollow) and get dropped off at the gate, then ride Moose Puddle (switchbacks might need to be walked, a bit rough on a 16" bike, but who knows) to RTS. That's a 1500' descent!

Note that *no dogs are allowed* on RTS or at the olympic park. This does not guarantee that you will avoid them, but it is very rare to see one.

You can also ride at PCMR and just take the lift to do trails like Jennies/CMG/etc. You will definitely encounter dogs on these trails, however, and IMO they are not as kid-friendly.

Round Valley can't really be shuttled (there's a way to kinda sorta do one but it would be an unbelievable PITA). And it's HOT this time of year.

Hope that helps. If you need more specific info just shoot me an email.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    (edit, John question)
    Trailforks will give you a good idea for parking if you zoom in with satellite view. #2 is about 100yrs past the gate to
    Aflack on the left. (Best to walk bike on side of road if with kids or unload at the gate and then park. #3, few spots to park before first hard left in road/Mormon Trail crossing. Possibly a few spots right at crossing, ( believe legal).
    Stop #1was good with 5y.o (did have a meltdown at about 200yrd, bit rough for 50ft.) Might need to help kids push bike at end of trail to get up one of the steep
    Trails back to road.
    Wouldn't test a 5-7y.o with #2/3 without testing #1 first.
    Disclaimer, I do this with kids in May when the winter gate is closed/no cars and it is very chill.
    Last edited by Turd; 07-16-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: No "

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A drive over Guardsman Pass to Solitude would be 100% dog free.
    Only one short green loop for kids.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    THanks for the responses. That is really helpful. I can't wait to get out there. Hope the trails are looking good. Also, any suggestions for easy loops or out and backs with little climbing are welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    UOP is your best (IMO) bet if you want to shuttle. The shuttle is quick and easy, you can shuttle to 3 different points on the road and get more ambitious as your kids gain confidence, and it's *right* by Kimball Jct for snacks afterwards. It's also a legitimately fun trail even for seasoned adult riders with great twists and turns on perfect dirt in a (somewhat scraggly) aspen grove.

The trail you want is called RTS, and you can start it from a couple different pullouts on the road up to the visitor center (look at it on trailforks, it'll be obvious where to go) or even from the visitor center itself (requires maybe 1 minute of walking/riding uphill, *somewhat* more difficult with a couple of switchbacks and one short section with some small rocks). If your kids are just killing it on that, drive up the back side (Bear Hollow) and get dropped off at the gate, then ride Moose Puddle (switchbacks might need to be walked, a bit rough on a 16" bike, but who knows) to RTS. That's a 1500' descent!

Note that *no dogs are allowed* on RTS or at the olympic park. This does not guarantee that you will avoid them, but it is very rare to see one.

You can also ride at PCMR and just take the lift to do trails like Jennies/CMG/etc. You will definitely encounter dogs on these trails, however, and IMO they are not as kid-friendly.

Round Valley can't really be shuttled (there's a way to kinda sorta do one but it would be an unbelievable PITA). And it's HOT this time of year.

Hope that helps. If you need more specific info just shoot me an email.

-Walt
    UOP might be ideal. We can have the shuttle driver (Mom) drop us and we ride down to Smith's and meet her about the time she is done shopping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    there is no way kids could ride that loop at Soli Turd, the climb is too steep. I know because I do it every ride over there, at least a 3-4x/month.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This one John? Single track down, maintenance shack road back up.
    Repeat a few time, get some ice-cream.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Park City Beginner Trails w/o (little) climbing-sol.jpg  

Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    John, am I nuts on this? I Don't want to intiminate a 5ling this weekend. Haven't been this year. Now that I think about it, the only time I've ridden that access road was after dropping into silver fork from that honycomb mining trail, blunders in silver fork .....I bonked and on the way back that access road had me dreaming of food.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have always gone up on the left arrow, and haven't been up there since your post to check it out. I have not ridden the right side of that loop though.

My 11yo wouldn't even go down that arrow trail safely, but my kids are wussies. It is rated a green, but the switchbacks all have kitty litter and are quite loose and steep, you have to commit to make them successfully. I haven't done YOUR climb yet to see how gradual it is, hope to get up there in the next few days. Been spending all my time in LCC the last couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You got me at the down hill description. I'm due for a solo ride in that kneck, I'll check it out with kids on the brain. No plan B at solitude....bail on that for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    4-6 weeks ago that downhill portion was also majorly jacked up with huge piles of felled trees (that they piled in from somewhere). I don't know what they were doing, but they were storing them there, and the trail was completely cut off in at least 4-5 spots. So the windy route was not doable, only the straight line right down the fall line. Just seems a recipe for locking up the wheels and a bad experience to recover from. Let me know how it is when you get there....

I'd rate that trail a blue either up or down, but areas are pressured to have "some" green terrain so they have something for everyone. Like Snowbird's ski trails, "Green" right? LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Keep the kids tips coming!

We are bringing 6-10 year olds on rigid plus/fatbikes. They have gears, so short climbs are fine, just nothing steep or long.
    I know that steep, rough corners are scary for them.

"gotta try Yabba Dabba Doo"

Sounds great, will try and warm up there.

"Need to drive but if you go west on 80 and get off east canyon and drive big mtn pass. I believe that is hand down the best kids shuttle, no dogs allowed.
    "

Then is your suggestion to ride the trail called Mormon (Pioneer) Trail? Does it end at Mountain Dell Reservoir? Is there swimming in the reservoir? I found the Little Dell does not allow swimming, but I couldn't find anything about Mountain Dell.

"The trail you want is called RTS, and you can start it from a couple different pullouts on the road up to the visitor center"

If I look on Trailforks I see two trails, RTS and RTS lower, both green and heading the same direction. Similar I assume? Do each of them?
    Then I see something that's called RTS+ on the map, but when you click it, it's called BLT. I see that would start with a little climb, but much more descending. Is the highest end of BLT/RTS+ the visitor center?

Is the Glenwild trail anything interesting with kids? It's close to where we are staying, but sounds like it might be rougher than they'd like.

"Note that the Payday lift serves a bunch of very easy trails that would be great for a family ride. So if you don't want to shuttle and are ok riding a smaller selection of trails, that could be a great option"

If the internet served me, well, that is PCMR?

What's the thought on Deer Valley for kids? A friend is getting us some passes, so it makes sense financially...

Any longer rides with a shuttle or lift? We live in Minnesota, so it would be great if we could use your enormous vertical to get some longer rides in with the kids without much climbing.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can ride the free bus to get to where you can do a longer ride. Bikes are allowed on the bus, they have racks for 2 or 3 bikes on the front. The busses to silver lake and Montage only allow a maximum of 6 and that fills up fast (there used to be 20+ bikes on them all the time) A good starter might be the bike path along McCloud creek, Partly paved and part gravel but it goes along a creek and can take you from behind Squatters to Newpark ( they can cool off at the splash pad at the Basin Recreation Fieldhouse when they're done) It is almost all downhill. A nice new option would be to start at the trailhead on Aerie dr off of Deer valley Dr. go North on Lost Prospector trail then left on Freemason trail. It is a brand new trail suitable for kids who have experience riding singletracks, and is almost all downhill to the rail trail near Prospector park. 1.5 miles. Have fun pm me with questions. Bob

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Park City Beginner Trails w/o (little) climbing-mt.jpg

No swimming but might be ok to go ankle deep higher up in the crick?
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

Moderator Moderator
    RTS will be obvious when you drive up the road - there are 3 spots where you can access the trail:
    1: Parking lot on the right across from Run-A-Muk (dog park/trail). Don't start here.
    2: Trail spur crosses the road another 1/4 mile up. Great place to start for a shorter ride (about 1 mile total).
    3: UOP visitor center parking lot (upper lot). Walk across the road (warning: lost tourists not paying attention) and hike/ride up for 50' or so to descend the upper (RTS+) section. This part is a little bit steeper and has a couple of switchbacks that my 5 year old finds intimidating (he rides them but much prefers the lower portion of the trail), and it can be dusty/loose if it hasn't rained. But it results in a ~2 mile shuttle ride that is certainly a green trail overall.

"Upper" and "Lower" RTS are basically parallel trails (they make a loop) which can both be ridden as shuttles ending at the big UOP sign/traffic circle. The upper (west) trail is IMO more fun. It has one ~30 second climb. The lower trail is rockier (though still a green) and has one 30 second and one 1 minute climb.

PCMR has lift access that is kid-friendly.

Deer Valley is probably a bad idea. Upper trails (the bike park) are very rough and sometimes technical, and they are high-traffic with DH bikes. Lower DV (Deer Crest) would work but there is a ~5 minute climb required after you get off the lift, and Deer Crest is a significant step up in difficulty from RTS.

Mormon Pioneer is great too and has the stream available (SLC watershed, no swimming) but requires quite a lot of driving from PC and is IMO not as much fun for kids as RTS.

Glenwild is very rocky. Not technical by any means, but river cobbles/loose over hard soil that will NOT be fun for kids. It also cannot easily be shuttled because the Glenwild road is officially private. You could probably get away with shuttling to the top of the front side switchbacks if you wanted to, though.

Feel free to drop me an email if you need more help.

-Walt
    Last edited by Walt; 08-02-2017 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It would be cool if askers gave some input/feedback after the trip. New eyes see different things that could help locals or visetors.
    What did the kids think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Random thought, if you have a cleary hedgehog or whatever and happened to change the gearing because kid looked like a hamster in a flatter environment. Consider reverting back to the low if motivated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    It would be cool if askers gave some input/feedback after the trip. New eyes see different things that could help locals or visetors.
    What did the kids think?
    Good point! I will update our 'reviews' of these suggestions once we have ridden them.

There is also such a big difference in kids riding desire and abilities.

Having ridden with quite a few kids though I do see the following: the majority of <10 yr olds seem to dislike extended climbs, braking bumps and boring trails (i.e. bike paths)
    "flow trails" are almost always a hit, as long as they aren't to steep. Wooden bridges are either loved or hated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I rode RTS today, very good for the kids!

Now just have to check Mormon Pioneer.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    PCMR is rather confusing: they list both "mountainbiking" and "bike park" as summer activities. "Mountainbike" lift tickets are not valid for "the Bikepark".
    Can anyone clarify?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The trails are open to everyone at PCMR. The ticket is required to get on the chair lifts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    PCMR is rather confusing: they list both "mountainbiking" and "bike park" as summer activities. "Mountainbike" lift tickets are not valid for "the Bikepark".
    Can anyone clarify?
    Mountain bike tickets get you up the gondola only.

Bike park tickets get you up the gondola as well as High Meadow and Short cut to access laps in the bike park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Gondola gets you access to a lot of fun stuff, just not the jumpy lines above it unless you want to pedal up them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi guys, sorry to piggyback or hijack but I'm heading to Park City next week and am trying to figure out a beginner ride with a 7 year old, a couple skittish adults and me pulling a tag-along with two 3-year olds. I have been trying to find out if the Rail Trail would be appropriate? I was hoping we can take the city bus to the top of the trail and have an easy/gently coast down back to park city. Does this seem like a good idea or is there something else you might recommend. I have take a weehoo tag-along on single tracks but I think with a rental tag-along and skill level of the rest of my group we need wider/easier trails. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nrpinmd View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to piggyback or hijack but I'm heading to Park City next week and am trying to figure out a beginner ride with a 7 year old, a couple skittish adults and me pulling a tag-along with two 3-year olds. I have been trying to find out if the Rail Trail would be appropriate? I was hoping we can take the city bus to the top of the trail and have an easy/gently coast down back to park city. Does this seem like a good idea or is there something else you might recommend. I have take a weehoo tag-along on single tracks but I think with a rental tag-along and skill level of the rest of my group we need wider/easier trails. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I think Park City is at the high end of the Rail Trail, so it's downhill FROM Park City (out toward Coalville), not TO Park City. It's appropriate for what you have in mind with 3 year olds. It is VERY sedate and I think you could just do it as an out-and-back... and the weather is supposed to cool off, which is nice. Should be in the 70's with scattered thundershowers. There is nice hiking up at Deer Valley.

Moderator Moderator
    Ride the dirt/paved paths between Park City and Kimball Jct (follows the creek, roughly), have some ice cream in Kimball, and ride back. Nothing scary, no singletrack, lots of neat stuff to do along the way.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks guys. Flight is today really excited! Going to jam in a 1/2 day of actually mountain biking by myself too. Hopefully we don't get too, too much rain for outdoor activities.

Moderator Moderator
    If we get any rain at all it will be a freaking miracle.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If we get any rain at all it will be a freaking miracle.

-Walt
    Ha! Spoken about an hour or so too soon. I'm up here in Empire Canyon and we got a deluge lasting about an hour. And hail has accumulated on my outside chairs up to about an inch.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Alta/SB got a good soaking too, wet and lush

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, haven't shuttled the kids yet ;-).
    Rode Round Valley with them, great kids trails(some fairly level options, then they surprised us by busting out a big climb!).
    Trail side bike park was a big hit with the kids too.
    Adults Shuttled up on the bus to Montage/Empire Lodge and started Mid Mountain trail from there, riding towards PCMR, came down Crescent Mine Grade. This would be a good ride for kids with some mtb skill. No steep, rocky or scary sections and mostly downhill, with only a few tiny climbs.
    After the intersection with Spiro, Mid Mountain becomes a lot rockier and has more climbs, probably not a great choice with <12 year olds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    Well, haven't shuttled the kids yet ;-).
    Rode Round Valley with them, great kids trails(some fairly level options, then they surprised us by busting out a big climb!).
    Trail side bike park was a big hit with the kids too.
    Adults Shuttled up on the bus to Montage/Empire Lodge and started Mid Mountain trail from there, riding towards PCMR, came down Crescent Mine Grade. This would be a good ride for kids with some mtb skill. No steep, rocky or scary sections and mostly downhill, with only a few tiny climbs.
    After the intersection with Spiro, Mid Mountain becomes a lot rockier and has more climbs, probably not a great choice with <12 year olds.
    Fantastic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Fantastic.
    When my daughter was little, still racing a BMX mini-

We would often drive up to the top of Jeremy Ranch. Push up the little 24/7 access trail then ride over and do Dropout. That would probably be a quite a bit harder for a little one now with the extra climb they've put in there.
    I would carry her BMX gear in my pack so she'd pad up and put on her full face for Dropout. She'd get lots of encouragement on that ride from pretty much everyone, so she always liked it. It was kind of long for a little kid but she liked the adventure. The 1 1/4" tires were always fine for that ride.

Maybe better to come down Fink again on that ride these days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Deer Valley resort

We rode Deer Valley Resort for two days now.

They have High Roller, which is the best beginner Bikepark trail I have ridden.

Like most Bikepark flow trails it is wide, without rocks or drops. Unlike most of them they keep the grade gentle and even reverse it regularly, especially coming into corners. The result is natural speed control, with a much less scary experience for novices. Even better, it means less braking, and therefor almost no braking bumps, a big boon for kids.

The only thing where it could be better is the corners, the berms are very low, almost flat in spots. Combined with a loose over hard trail surface, it means that progressing kids, who are starting to carry some speed into the corners, might have a few iffy, slidy moments.

For older kids, Tidal Wave is a good option too. It does have some steep (but very well bermed) corners, so timid or beginner kids won't like it.
    To make it a bit easier, take High Roller to the meadow, then switch to Tidal Wave there, as the upper section of Tidal wave has some very steep corners with relating braking bumps in the berms.
    Other than the corners, it is al big table tops, no rocks, roots, gaps etc. Everything rollable.
    Last edited by Tjaard; 09-09-2017 at 12:21 PM.