Paging St. George/Springdale Locals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Paging St. George/Springdale Locals

Hi,

Thinking about a January 26 through 29 trip to St. George and have never been.

Recommendations for staying close to trails on Gooseberry Mesa? The nearest town? Good bike shop?

Rides that you would recommend for freeriders with 6" travel bikes? (We like Porcupine Rim in Moab, for example, if that helps.)

Is there snow on the ground like there is in Fruita?

Thanks in advance.

Steve in frigid and snowed in Steamboat Springs!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

SXtreem now
    I know a gay fella in St. George

Sorry i had no info for ya.

Chris Bling

st. georgian here

As far as St. George goes, there are a ton of us that ride 4 or 5 times a week. The guys that i ride with all have 6 inch bikes and love to ride them to thier full potential. Before you get here, make sure and drop me a line and we will get you hooked up with people to ride with. If i am not at work or in school, i'll be glad to take you out, but if not me, there are endless others that i can put you in contact with.

As far as a bike shop goes, head up to Desert Cycler @ 1091 N. Bluff street. Kong and Andy will take care of you.

let me know your plans

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

Thanks!

Dusty,

Thank you for your offer. I will certainly keep in touch.

Should we stay in Springdale if we want to ride Gooseberry?
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member

How are the trails out there?

We might be heading down to Gooseberry next weekend as well. How are the trails? The last time we were there, the road up to Gooseberry was kinda iffy...
    We've also done most of the trails there except for Little Creek Mesa. Is this trail well marked or should we plan for an epic-get lost type ride?
    Thanks!

Chris Bling

goose is cool:)

you can stay in springdale, but its a little further away from goose that hurricane. but if you have not been to zion national park, defidently stay in springdale and enjoy that piece of scenery! or if you want, you can bring a tent and sleeping bag and camp right near the trailhead to goose.

dusty
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Chris Bling

little creek

little creek is not very well marked so just plan on getting lost if you dont have someone with you that knows the trail. although you could probably find your way around, its pretty easy to get lost. but its a great trail!

dusty
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

Looking at maps now

Dusty,

I am looking at online maps now - is Gooseberry Mesa nearer to Hurricane than Springdale?

Steve

Chris Bling

yes

maybe not the way the crow flies, but driving distance is defidently shorter

go to www.utahmountainbiking.com

there are some good maps there
    dusty
    Affordable Custom Wheels

No, that's not phonetic
    Not "nearer" in a geographic sense, but nearer in a "decent road connects them" sense. The dirt road between Springdale and Goose sucks when it's dry, and is impassible when wet. There is a nice paved highway most of the drive from Hurricane to Goose. It is also a much more convenient access to Little Creek Mesa which is Goose's sister mesa just to the south. Hurricane has a few motels. The Travelodge central in Hurricane and is near the highway out of town to the good rides. It's also near resteraunts.

Goose is pretty self-explanatory with a decent map. I like Little Creek better overall (better slickrock, more freeform possibilities, and greater variety imo) but until you learn the place, you will get really lost. An extremely detailed map and a GPS may get you around initially, but I bet you can hook up with some locals here who will show you the ropes. I found a lot of it on my own, but I have ridden there many times now and it took some hunting...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

The think the "ayes" have it for Hurricane

Dusty and Tscheezy,

Thank you both for the excellent insider tips; sounds like Hurricane is the place to stay and ride from to both of the Mesa's.

Dusty - do you ever come over toward the Mesa's on weekends? Maybe we could hook up?

Thanks again and if you are ever coming my way to Steamboat Springs, CO I can show you the best mtb. trails here.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Not "nearer" in a geographic sense, but nearer in a "decent road connects them" sense. The dirt road between Springdale and Goose sucks when it's dry, and is impassible when wet.
    What kind of luxurious dirt highways do you have in Alaska? A bit bumpy dry, and doable otherwise unless totally saturated. Hurricane's fine to sleep in, but has few other virtues. In Springdale you can walk and go get some tasty coffee.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I drove my Passat Wagon up the long way from Rockville. I had to go 10mph or less the whole way to avoid thrashing 'mah undahcarriage" but I eventually got to the trails. I am going to go the long way around next time.

Springdale definitely rules Hurricane in the coffee, food and scenery department. Stay in Hurricane for convenience and lower costs, but if you don't mind an additional 20 minutes on the road each morning, Springdale is a cool little joint. Hit the Mean Bean for killer coffee and lunches. Also, Slickrock Swamp is right there for an afternoon jaunt, or go check out Zion.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    What kind of luxurious dirt highways do you have in Alaska? A bit bumpy dry, and doable otherwise unless totally saturated. Hurricane's fine to sleep in, but has few other virtues. In Springdale you can walk and go get some tasty coffee.

No, that's not phonetic
    Steve, I sent you an email.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Chris Bling

you bet i do

i try to make it over to goose on occasion. it just depends on the weekend. i end up working every other weekend, so if you catch me on my off weekend, we'll roll

dusty
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Members who have read this thread: 0