Paging JMH- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paging JMH

mtbr member

Paging JMH

I don't know if you remember me but I rode with you once when you lived in SoCal. Anyhow, fast forward a couple years and I have a potential job opportunity in SLC and wanted to know what you think about the area as far as riding potential and quality of life vs. santa monica area. Is there any lift access or shuttle trails for big bikes, etc.
    I already know the skiing is world class. Also, does the beer really suck as much as people say?

Thanks!
    nothing witty here...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    I don't know if you remember me but I rode with you once when you lived in SoCal. Anyhow, fast forward a couple years and I have a potential job opportunity in SLC and wanted to know what you think about the area as far as riding potential and quality of life vs. santa monica area. Is there any lift access or shuttle trails for big bikes, etc.
    I already know the skiing is world class. Also, does the beer really suck as much as people say?

Thanks!
    It has been a great move for us. The riding is superior, the lifestyle is much more relaxed and cost of living is greatly reduced. I own a house now, which was never going to happen in CA. Deer Valley and Wolf Mountain both offer good lift riding and both are close by. You can also look at a map and see that some of the best riding spots in the US are within a 5 hour drive of SLC... Moab, Virgin/St.George/Gooseberry, Fruita, Jackson Hole. Kind of a schlep to get to Northstar/Tahoe, but probably no worse than it is from LA!

The local breweries make some great microbrews, and if you don't like 4%, just go to the liquor store and buy whatever you want.

That's the abridged version, but check through a few pages of the Utah forum and you should find lots of "moving to Utah" threads that will have detailed info!

You can also PM me if you have any specific questions.

JMH

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    I Also, does the beer really suck as much as people say?
    I'm a bit of a beer fanatic (I'm pretty sure that's not the same thing as an alcoholic ) so all my friends and family back home questioned how I would ever survive in Utah. The beer laws are retarded and they do make things a bit more difficult but it's not the end of the world. We usually bring back a bunch of beer from our trips to stay stocked, this is our mainstay. The prices at the Liquor store are generally obscene but you can usually find a satisfying beer in a pinch. Some of the local breweries have adapted well to the low alcohol content and manage to brew some amazingly flavorful beers considering the alcohol content.

Otherwise, well, everything is terrible here, don't move here. No one move here, it's awful. The snow is always icy, the trails have no flow, the traffic is horrible, gas is $10 a gallon. For your own good, stay away.

mtbr member
    hahaha, not having great beer at my disposal wouldn't be the end of the world but I grew up in Belgium so I guess I became a little spoiled. I'm so ready to get out of SoCal and being an avid biker and skier ( used to ski Switz, France, italy frequnetly and I lived in Mammoth for 5 years ) SLC seems like it might fit the bill.

Thanks for the replys.
    nothing witty here...

Takin'er easy
    Necessity being related to invention, or at least learning, I started making my own beer when I moved here. It takes time, along with a bit of a start-up cost, but in the end you can make 5-gallon batches of tasty (read: strong) beer for about $0.80/bottle (12oz.). If you put up the extra cash for the start-up, you can make 10-gallon batches and get the cost down to $0.15/bottle. 5-gallon batches tend to be a bit of a hack-job, while 10-gallon+ batches are more artistic. It just depends on who you are and how much $ you have to spend on beer.

Unfortunately, the riding here sucks...and so does the skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You'll have to pick up a few more wifes, but I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0