Paging Darkan...or any other Loganites- Mtbr.com
    The Sentinel

Paging Darkan...or any other Loganites

Just wondering, y'all. What's Jardine Juniper, Willow Creek, et al, looking like? I'm jonesing for some Logan Canyon singletrack. I've got to help at the Cache Valley Biathlon this Saturday, but I'm thinking about riding up the canyon that afternoon. Any 411? Thanks.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Just wondering, y'all. What's Jardine Juniper, Willow Creek, et al, looking like? I'm jonesing for some Logan Canyon singletrack. I've got to help at the Cache Valley Biathlon this Saturday, but I'm thinking about riding up the canyon that afternoon. Any 411? Thanks.
    Hey!

Well, it snowed here today. June freakin 7th...so I don't know what condition the trails will be in on Saturday.

I haven't been on Jardine yet, but Shannon-ut says it's beat up pretty bad. Horses have trashed it as well as run-off ruts.

The lower part of Willow creek is also almost completely washed away and is nothing but ruts. People have been riding beside the rutted trail, making a new line.

Rick's canyon wasn't too bad last week. The upper part was kinda rough in sections requiring some hike-a-bike. I even had to do some impromptu trail maint. to get a run-off stream to run into a creek instead of down the trail.

Steel Hollow was in good shape...except for about a million HUGE trees that had fallen over the trail.

Let's see...spring hollow/river trail was good a couple of weeks ago.

And the trail that was used for the Joyride race was in GREAT condition. That's at Sherwood Hills in Sardine Canyon.

Still, with the snow/rain we have been getting, it's hard to say what any of the trails will be like by Saturday.

Then there is always the deer fence trail (yawn)

Dave

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    I rode Jardine two weeks ago and it we made it to the tree, no probs. Just a little snow on the shady side but after today who knows. The lower part of the trail was a lot rockier than I ever remember it being. I heard there was a slide up there this past winter so I don't know if that was why it was like that or if it's just roughed up like most trails are this time of year.

I heard Mud Flats was pretty rutted. A buddy of mine said that in some spots there were as deep as three feet. I've never seen it that bad. There must have been a ton of runoff up there this spring.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Let's see...spring hollow/river trail was good a couple of weeks ago.
    Not to jack the this thread but since you mentioned it, were you up there after whoever it was did some trail "maintenance" on the spring hollow section with what looks like it must have been a front end loader?

I was up there two weeks ago and the single track was just demolished in spots. I couldn't figure out what jackass thought of widening the single track like that. It kept transitioning from single track to sort of an atv wide track and back. It did this all the way up to the rock slide. What they're doing up there (whoever they are) dosen't make sense to me. I was wondering if you knew what was going on with that trail.

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by art_vandelay
    Not to jack the this thread but since you mentioned it, were you up there after whoever it was did some trail "maintenance" on the spring hollow section with what looks like it must have been a front end loader?

I was up there two weeks ago and the single track was just demolished in spots. I couldn't figure out what jackass thought of widening the single track like that. It kept transitioning from single track to sort of an atv wide track and back. It did this all the way up to the rock slide. What they're doing up there (whoever they are) dosen't make sense to me. I was wondering if you knew what was going on with that trail.
    Wow...nope, haven't seen it.
    I did hear that the forest service did some work on Spring Hollow by adding some switchbacks as well as some other work. I hope they didn't ruin it. I haven't been on it for a few weeks. It's not my favourite trail but at this point, I will take what I can.

The work I did on Rick's was just putting in a couple of small trenches on the edge of the trail so that a run-off stream kept going down to the creek instead of turning and running down the trail. Once the run-off is done (if ever), I hope to fill back in the trenches.

The Sentinel

Trail work, anyone?

Sounds like we need to get with the Forest Service, and get a trail work day going before things get any worse. If people are riding around ruts and widening Willow Creek, that bums me out. Anybody know who the appropriate contact in the Logan FS office is?

I rode Jardine two weeks ago and it we made it to the tree, no probs. Just a little snow on the shady side but after today who knows. The lower part of the trail was a lot rockier than I ever remember it being. I heard there was a slide up there this past winter so I don't know if that was why it was like that or if it's just roughed up like most trails are this time of year.

I heard Mud Flats was pretty rutted. A buddy of mine said that in some spots there were as deep as three feet. I've never seen it that bad. There must have been a ton of runoff up there this spring.

nobody
    I hope they didn't ruin it.
    I guess that depends on what your definition of "ruin" is and if we're talking about the same spot on the trail.

I think I must have ridden it just barely after they did their work. It was like riding around in a construction zone in some spots. The dirt was really hard and clumpy which made it almost like riding through rock if that makes sense. You could see where the tracks from their equipment just plowed through the singletrack. They had cut down trees and just tossed them to the sides and in one spot they by-passed the original trail just to cut a section that was essentially the same.

But the thing that really got me was that they'd leave parts of the old trail alone so it'd be like: singletrack, widened track, singletrack, widened track, singletrack, etc. And these sections were small. It just aggrivated me becaue it was like getting teased with the old trail and just when you thought that maybe the "mantenance" didn't go any higher, it did.

You know that final climb before you get up to the rock slide? It used to be a challenge with all the loose rock but now that they've graded it, I breezed up it.

I bet that it recovers to a point but I doubt it will go back to what it was.

It's too bad because as you say it's not my favorite either but it's close and perfect for the times when you only have an hour or so to get a ride in.

mtbr member
    June 4th was National Trails Day. I saw a flyer at the Greenhouse. The work was slated for the "Old Spring Hollow trail." So it looks like someone "prepped" the trail with a front loader and hopefully the trail volunteers came in to fix it up for whatever. The dirt was very loose, and I actually wiped out riding with Mr. Vandalay.

The forest circus doesn't have money for a trail crew, so they take volunteers when they can get them and people who don't know what the heck they are doing. Some don't know a water bar from a stick in the trail. It's too bad, because I thought the trail was fine as it was.

I did Jardine on Sunday. The bottom rocky part was very washed away in parts leaving a gully of pure rock. People have started to ride up on the bank and are widening the trail. Though some places it's just impossible to stay on the original track, because you're left swimming in a sea of rocks! Then you get to the spring and it's pretty much normal from there on up, except for the swampy area below the bench. That's messed up with horse marks. I didn't run into snow, but who knows now!

I'll be at the biathlon! Not participating, I'm watching two kids who's parents are competing. I might bring my dog too.

So all in all, for Saturday, it might be the river trail or JJ as your options based on what others have said.

mtbr member
    I dug this up:

Robert Cruz is the Logan District Ranger
    435-755-3620
    [email protected]

A coworker of mine exchanged few emails with this guy in the past about the grooming of Green Canyon for xc skiing. The guy was appreciative of feed back from the public on grooming vs. non-grooming.

So who wants to email him regarding Spring Hollow?

nobody

maybe we all should...

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    I dug this up:

435-755-3620
    [email protected]

A coworker of mine exchanged few emails with this guy in the past about the grooming of Green Canyon for xc skiing. The guy was appreciative of feed back from the public on grooming vs. non-grooming.

I think the more input the better. I suspect the impact would be greater if he got a couple dozen emails with honest input and just to see what the deal is with their long term plan.

My Logan days are numbered (less than 20 to go) but I'd still be interested in letting my voice be heard (I promise to communicate nicely )

BTW Shannon, can you bend your shifter finger yet?

mtbr member
    I think the more input the better. I suspect the impact would be greater if he got a couple dozen emails with honest input and just to see what the deal is with their long term plan.

My Logan days are numbered (less than 20 to go) but I'd still be interested in letting my voice be heard (I promise to communicate nicely )

BTW Shannon, can you bend your shifter finger yet?

Shoot! I keep forgetting you are leaving! Boo. (Art and I are in the same building.)

No, my finger is not good still. I can type that's it, but I cant write or click with it. Lizzette and Mark were just convincing me to go to the doc. I do need that finger for breaking and shifting.

But that is true; the more emails the more input he has to go off of.

Who's that guy?
    I went for a ride on Jardine today (Wed) and it wasn't too bad...until I got to the open, flat area about 3 miles up. It's a freakin mess. Lots of snow and standing water on the trail. As soon as I got down that short downhill part, my tires just sank right into the trail. So I turned around and headed back. Ruts? We don't need no stinkin ruts! The trail may be okay by Saturday, as long as the rains stay away and it warms up a bit.

The rest of the trail is in good shape so that's good news for us who live here.

WHERE'S MY SUMMER????

mtbr member
    WHERE'S MY SUMMER????
    For real!

nobody

I emailed Rober yesterday...

I dug this up:

435-755-3620
    [email protected]

Here's the email I got this morning:

Eric, the work you are referring to is more than likely related to the
    water line work Logan City is doing in the Canyon. They have discovered
    that the line is leaking in several areas and are currently doing
    exploratory work to determine exactly where those leaks are and how best to
    fix the problem. When they come up with a final solution you can plan on
    that trail being closed for a period of time until repairs to the line and
    trail are completed. Both the FS and Logan City apologize for any
    inconvenience this problem may be causing you.

I wonder if we're talking about the same area. Does anyone know if the water pipeline is in that area? I probably should know but I don't.

If we are talking about the same area it seems there is a method to the madness.

mtbr member
    Here's the email I got this morning:

Eric, the work you are referring to is more than likely related to the
    water line work Logan City is doing in the Canyon. They have discovered
    that the line is leaking in several areas and are currently doing
    exploratory work to determine exactly where those leaks are and how best to
    fix the problem. When they come up with a final solution you can plan on
    that trail being closed for a period of time until repairs to the line and
    trail are completed. Both the FS and Logan City apologize for any
    inconvenience this problem may be causing you.

I wonder if we're talking about the same area. Does anyone know if the water pipeline is in that area? I probably should know but I don't.

If we are talking about the same area it seems there is a method to the madness.

Hmm, a water line way up there? I found this on a Riverside Trail description from tourcachevallye.com:

The lower section of the trail follows the Logan City water line, which is buried beneath the road, The trail parallels the river and is never more than a few hundred feet from US 89, although traffic is not visible for most of its length.

The dug up trail we're thinking of is not on the lower section at all. I just sent him an email also, and made a bitmap with drawn in sections on it for him. Let's see what I get....
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 06-09-2005 at 01:14 PM.

nobody
    I just sent him an email also, and made a bitmap with drawn in sections on it for him. Let's see what I get....
    Only a Photogrammetrist would think of doing this...

Good work!

The Sentinel

I'll be seeing you...

I'm the short, fat guy who keeps score and yells at everyone a lot. Come up and introduce yourself! I always like meeting people from the board.

I'll be at the biathlon! Not participating, I'm watching two kids who's parents are competing. I might bring my dog too.

So all in all, for Saturday, it might be the river trail or JJ as your options based on what others have said.

mtbr member
    Shannon, thanks for the inquiry regarding trail work on the Spring Hollow
    Trail. What you have seen is where we had a small trail cat go through and
    do preliminary work on improving the Spring Hollow Trail. Last week during
    National Trails Day we had approximately one hundred volunteers go up with
    our trail crew and complete the finishing touches to the trail. Hopefully,
    the work you experienced was before last Saturday and your next visit to
    this trail should see the final product that will benefit the public for
    years to come. Thanks again for your inquiry to our trails work on the
    Logan Ranger District and have a great day.

Here's what I received from Ranger Cruz. My husband rode it yesterday and said it was much better. So looks like that trail cat was for preliminary work. I guess he was talking about a different spot, Art, regarding that water line.

nobody
    Shannon, thanks for the inquiry regarding trail work on the Spring Hollow
    Trail. What you have seen is where we had a small trail cat go through and
    do preliminary work on improving the Spring Hollow Trail. Last week during
    National Trails Day we had approximately one hundred volunteers go up with
    our trail crew and complete the finishing touches to the trail. Hopefully,
    the work you experienced was before last Saturday and your next visit to
    this trail should see the final product that will benefit the public for
    years to come. Thanks again for your inquiry to our trails work on the
    Logan Ranger District and have a great day.

Here's what I received from Ranger Cruz. My husband rode it yesterday and said it was much better. So looks like that trail cat was for preliminary work. I guess he was talking about a different spot, Art, regarding that water line.

I'll check it out tonight and see what's up. I'm not the most savvy trail builder and I could be wrong but to me it didn't look like that trail needed any improvements.

What can you do now that it's already done? So be it I guess.