mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Overnight *parking* around Gemini Bridges/Bar M (Moab)?

I'm scoping out an overnighter that I'm hoping to do in the Moab area in the near future, and I'm not finding a lot of detail on where I can (or can't) park [not camp!] overnight.

Ideally, I'd be as close as possible to the Gemini Bridges TH that's just off 191. Looks like that's technically private, though, and at least one of the lots there is paid parking/camping? (I didn't pay any attention to the signs when I was there for Moab Rocks last year).

Worst case, I should be able to find a spot on Willow Springs, but does end up adding a handful of miles of highway and/or probably sandy wash-bottom that I'd prefer to skip if possible.

There's obviously the Bar M parking across the street, as well as a couple little paved pull-outs at the east end of 313. Anybody know if any of those spots are specifically signed as "No Overnight Parking" and/or patrolled/enforced?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    No overnight anything at the Brand Trails / Bar M TH or most of the other TH's. No camping / parking along Gemini Bridges Road and 313 but you can go back a mile or so off 313.

I've seen the moto folks stay overnight in their motorhomes in the large parking lots at the lower end of Gemini Bridges next to 191 but that is an unattractive option for anyone who wants quiet at night. Willow Springs is quieter.

It sounds like you plan to bike up Gemini Bridges to Mag 7. That is a pain in the ass road to ride and everyone hates it.

There are some small BLM CG's along 313 that might interest you but they are hard to get into in the high season, and that season starts about now. Also, a couple of miles on 313 past the middle Navajo Rocks TH there is the road to Lone Mesa Group Camp. You can drive out that road a mile or two and find motorhomes and such camped.

Willow Springs is probably your best option. Sometimes I see motorhomes parked across 191 from Arches View but they don't stay long. Probably not allowed there or there would be a motorhome city that I would notice.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you mean true parking - empty car - there is a rest stop on the northwest corner of 313 and 191. Very short ride down the bike path to Gemini Bridges Road.

The lots at 191 and Gemini Bridges are private; you can afaik park there but you'd need to pay. The Bar-M lot *IS* patrolled and monitored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I've seen the moto folks stay overnight in their motorhomes in the large parking lots at the lower end of Gemini Bridges next to 191 but that is an unattractive option for anyone who wants quiet at night.
    Looks like land ownership switches back to BLM about halfway before the road turns away from 191, that could definitely work, if there's room.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    It sounds like you plan to bike up Gemini Bridges to Mag 7. That is a pain in the ass road to ride and everyone hates it.
    Having done both that and Sand Flats Rd up to UPS... I'll take the ~30 minutes on Gemini Bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    If you mean true parking - empty car - there is a rest stop on the northwest corner of 313 and 191. Very short ride down the bike path to Gemini Bridges Road.
    That 'rest stop' definitely looks like a promising option, and yeah, empty car for sure.

One other option I'm tossing around would be going as far east as I can on Willow Springs (I see a big lot pretty close to the State Trust/BLM border), or even into the Klonzo area proper, and then taking Zephyr over to Brands. Adds 6 mostly flat miles that shouldn't be a problem on my way out, but might be a little annoying way to finish my trip.

Definitely appreciate the details, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    When do you plan on doing this? I'll be there the first week of April and usually camp at Willow Springs (in an RV). If you can't find any viable options, you could leave your car at our camp (assuming we get a spot), could possibly even shuttle you if your schedule jives with our schedule (we do it all, bike, hike, off-roading in a RZR, kayaking...so we have a lot of activities to squeeze in!).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    When do you plan on doing this? I'll be there the first week of April and usually camp at Willow Springs (in an RV). If you can't find any viable options, you could leave your car at our camp (assuming we get a spot), could possibly even shuttle you if your schedule jives with our schedule (we do it all, bike, hike, off-roading in a RZR, kayaking...so we have a lot of activities to squeeze in!).
    I appreciate the offer - I was actually thinking about this trip for this coming weekend (March 23-25), but the weather isn't looking particularly pleasant for minimalist bikepacking camping, so I'm heading to St. George/Hurricane for car camping instead.