Outerbike at Moab worth the trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Outerbike at Moab worth the trip?

Hi, anyone have an opnion on this: http://outerbike.com/? It sounds like it could be a blast, but also like you could be stuck in line waiting to ride on limited trails.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Personally I would rather demo a bike for a half day on trails I know than 20 minutes. It's a copy of a motorcycle model that has been around for 20+ years and used with varying drgrees of success.

It's great for Western Spirit (they make the bank) and the bike makers get to get in front of a lot of riders and put a lot of "butts in seats" which is cost effective. I'd say let the first year go by and when they figure out all the glitches for 2011 give it a shot.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Outerbike attendance will be capped at 1000 participants to insure short lines and plenty of riding on your favorite bike and its always cool to be there for the first year of an event that will only get bigger and bigger.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How many bikes will those 1000 riders be "sharing" each day? How long are the demo rides.. do a little math and folks can see how sweet of a deal it is.. or not.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhazell
    Outerbike attendance will be capped at 1000 participants
    Holy crap. I was picturing like 100.

hfly

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Western Spirit makes bank a few different ways

1) They charge Pivot, Trek, etc..etc.. to be there.
    2) They charge you to be there
    3) They charge secondary vendors to be there (Fox, Crank Bros, etc..)
    4) A thousand folks are going to get thistry and hungry so you allow food and drink concessions and take a % of sales or a flat rate vendo fee

This is an unproven event being the first year so the bike folks are going to get a break on the cost of showing up, hey no bikes to ride...no people right? Makes sense.

In theory this is good for the bike peeps. A demo rig is expensive.. Cost $1-$1.50 a mile to drive them after all is said and done. Labor.. those nice peeps don't work for free who drive those rigs and set up the and maintain the bikes and a demo rig can have upwards of 100k woth of bikes in it which get depreciated. Even at "cost" that adds up to some pretty big numbers on bikes.

If this sells out, the bike peeps get a shot at 1000 quality (they PAID and traveled to be there) prospects. At the end of the year it costs $XX per butt in a seat and that number is a lot more per butt than the public would think, it's double digits per rider for sure, demo programs are expensive.

Western Spirit is doing this all on the "come" as well. I am sure that prior to going public and making the investment that they got committments from several manufacturers but they are now on the hot seat so to speak... If all these bike manufacturers line up and no peeps come to ride there will not be a Outter Bike 2011...so Western Spirit needs to make this is good experience and a good value for the public.

With all the manufacturer participation I would not let that 1000 number keep you from going. That's a very workable number, Where else are you going to get a chance to swing a leg over this vast selection of sweeeeeet bikes and all in Moab no less at a nice time of year.

I have done ths with morytorcycles for years so I tend to look at stuff with a critical eye and that's not always good, hence the I'd skip it the first year which might have sounded harsh. FWIW, My wife is the founder of Femmoto, which is a womens sportbike weekend held at Las Vegas Motor Speedway where Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, Harley, Buell, Kymco and a couple of others came out and brought motorcycle fleets that the gals demo'ed on the race tracks. So I know how much work this can be but also know how much fun all the gals had as well.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Too bad the Rampage is the same weekend. Pretty big oops right there.

mtbr member
    Well, I bit the bullet and booked it. I made the mistake of looking at Bike magazine last night and there were pictures, pictures, pictures of new bikes + slickrock... irresistible!

But now I have a new challenge, so advice is welcome. My friend who is going with me just got a great used Orba, and he wants us to bring road bikes as opposed to mountain bikes. His mountain bike is an old (1996?) hard tail Kona, while I have my Flux refined to my definition of perfection (I9 wheels, Pushed front and rear suspension, etc.) so the bright and shiny is calling to him. While it sounds like the trails available for the demos are going to be great, I think we would be well served to try as many of the classics as well. I did Slickrock last year during an 18 hour visit, and that's got me hungry for more of what off-road Moab has to offer. So, road bike and demo, or mountain bike and demo? Suggested routes/trails for both are welcome (to support trail, Porcupine Rim already on the list, and http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/index.htm is another point of reference I'm using).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    WOW, I just saw that Western Spirit is charging $150 per rider... I don;t think crowds are going to be a problem.. that's pretty steep. I was guessing more like $50....One thing for sure.. the riders there are serious.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    WOW, I just saw that Western Spirit is charging $150 per rider... I don;t think crowds are going to be a problem.. that's pretty steep. I was guessing more like $50....One thing for sure.. the riders there are serious.
    I think the $150 for four days sounds a little less crazy when you consider the cost to rent a nice MTB at one of the local shops for one day. A bike from Santa Cruz, Turner, or Pivot will cost you $65-$75 for a single day. Yeah, you get much more choice of trails, but you don't get to ride different bikes back-to-back on the same trails on the same day.

By total coincidence Outerbike coincides with our honeymoon trip to Moab. We'd be renting bikes anyway. I know there's a risk since it's the first year, but I think the upside could be really good if all goes well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    To rent a mid level mtn. bike in Moab costs about $45 per day. To rent the kind of bikes that will be available at Outerbike costs $80 plus a day, that is if your lucky enough to find a rental bike that nice.

Do the math.

3.5 days of riding HIGH end bikes on Moab's world class trails for only $150.

Not to mention the included lunches and nighttime activities like movie screenings and parties.

mtbr member
    If camping was included i would've bit....

mtbr member

just got a little (lot!) more interesting...

A response to my friend's question about ride options...

"Yes bikes can be taken out of the demo siteóbut definitely not
    overnight. (The mechanics need to wrench them some time!)

Right now we are planning lots of shuttle rides from the site and back to the site to avoid you having to worry about transporting bikes. Once you register, you will be given the opportunity to sign up for shuttled rides to Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, the Slickrock, and others.

Because Outerbike is going to have such a huge number of exhibitors and literally thousands of bikesówe are going to be able to make the demo process really efficient and minimize the amount of time it takes you to get a bike and get on the trail. There are five loops right from the site (30 minutes to 1 hour).

So a typical day from your perspective might be to get to the demo site around 9am do a loop on one bike, switch it and do another loop. Have lunch and then catch a shuttle to one of the other rides (2 to 3 hours)--then get back to the demo site around 4 and do another short loop on yet another bikeóbefore having a beer with maybe Travis Brown or Matt Hunter or Gary Fisher.

Hope this answers your questions.

Take care,
    Ashley

Ashley Korenblat
    President, Western Spirit Cycling, 478 Millcreek Drive, Moab, UT 84532
    www.westernspirit.com
    ph: 800-845-2453 m: 801-910-3205
    Director, IMBA Public Lands Initiative
    "

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I didn't realize this was a four day gig for a buck-fifty.... that's a pretty sweet per day investment. Ride em!!!
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Outerbike Proceeds

BTW the "bank" will be going to IMBA and the Moab Trails Alliance

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhazell
    BTW the "bank" will be going to IMBA and the Moab Trails Alliance
    So that can means excatly what?

Are you stating that Western Spirit is not taking any compensation for thier risk and efforts? If this is true that is uber generous of them and they should let more folks know
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    So that can means excatly what?

Are you stating that Western Spirit is not taking any compensation for thier risk and efforts? If this is true that is uber generous of them and they should let more folks know
    <.........Crickets.......>
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Additional info here: Outerbike: Testers for The Rest Of Us. So no Porcupine Rim, but still looks good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

One more time....

I just want to ask one more time, straight up: can you take a demo bike, put it in your truck, and go to any trail you want, or do you have to stay in the Bar-M area or on one of the event shuttles?

We have a group of four ready to go, but only if we can take the bikes up to do the Enchilada.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I just want to ask one more time, straight up: can you take a demo bike, put it in your truck, and go to any trail you want, or do you have to stay in the Bar-M area or on one of the event shuttles?

We have a group of four ready to go, but only if we can take the bikes up to do the Enchilada.
    What did Western Spirit say when you emailed them?

So you would only go if you can ride one trail? And you intend to do TWE every day? That's kind of an unusual plan. I doubt they will encourage you to disappear for 8 hours with a bike that others might want to try.

But I am not trying to be contrary and TWE is indeed a good ride, I am sure you can do whatever you want once they have your credit card info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    What did Western Spirit say when you emailed them?

So you would only go if you can ride one trail? And you intend to do TWE every day? That's kind of an unusual plan. I doubt they will encourage you to disappear for 8 hours with a bike that others might want to try.

But I am not trying to be contrary and TWE is indeed a good ride, I am sure you can do whatever you want once they have your credit card info.

Enchilada, Pritchett, Flat Pass, Moonlight Meadows/Trans LaSal. There you go.

Since the Outerbike website shows people on top of Porc, I would think they aren't going to restrict someone from taking a bike wherever as long as it is returned by 5:00PM.

I'll email them.

mtbr member
    It'll be interesting to hear the answer. Perhaps with enough grass roots effort, some more trails will be added. We're hoping to do Porcupine, but if it turns out to be a demo no-go, I'll probably end up shipping my bike to supplement. It would be unfair to it for me to rent!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ashley at Western Spirit got back to me on the questions:

1) Bikes will be restricted to Bar-M or the event-provided shuttles.

2) LPS is now going to be one of the trails to which shuttles will run. No details on the schedule.

3) Individual manufacturers *may* impose further limits (like time limits) on their demos. It is up to the manufacturer.

Thanks to Ashley for the quick response.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    So it might not be a bad idea to do two demo days and two ride days on my own rig... I can't imagine needing more than two days of Bar M laps to ride what I want to ride. And I still gets me my free lunch!

mtbr member
    LPS = music to my ears. I think that with the trails they have planned, you should be able to get by without your bike (I only say that to rationalize not needing to ship both ways). At least I hope that is the case...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cleo
    LPS = music to my ears. I think that with the trails they have planned, you should be able to get by without your bike (I only say that to rationalize not needing to ship both ways). At least I hope that is the case...

With the cost/hassle of shipping or flying a bike being what it is, you might be better off renting from one of the local shops, especially if it is only for one day.

Members who have read this thread: 0