Outerbike- Mtbr.com

Thread: Outerbike

mtbr member

Outerbike

Salt laker here and I was planning to go to Moab tomorrow but just found out that outer bike was going on this weekend. I feel like maybe I should go somewhere else since the trails will be busier than normal. From the site the demos appear to be at bar m trailhead. I assume riders will be riding other trails nearby. Maybe a local can share if outerbike creates heavy traffic that weekend. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Moab is going to be busy from here on out, especially with the lackluster winter we've had... The bright side is, that none of the demos are allowed on Porcupine, as well as anywhere they're not running shuttles that day as riders aren't allowed to transport the bikes on personal vehicles, so it might work to your advantage if you figure out the demo schedule in advance. As an aside, MTB festivals can be a blast, so it might be worth checking out.

I went to the thaw last weekend - Moab Thaw Spring Mountain Bike Festival and had a great time!

Desert Seeker
    I wouldn't hesitate to come down and ride for the weekend. Most of the bike traffic will be limited to the Brands. I believe they are shuttling to Amasa on Friday and Mag 7 on Saturday, so you may want to avoid those areas on the given days. Also, it is not anticipated to be as big as the Fall event. FWIW, there is also a skinny tire fest going on this weekend.

mtbr member
    Good info, I'll be going to moan, planned on brand trails but think I'll ride them on sunset when everyone is wiped out.

Desert Seeker
    There are a couple of nice alternatives to the Brands, including North Klondike and the new Navajo Rocks. See Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. for maps of the various areas. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just as a post for future reference, the attendance at the spring Outerbike seemed to be about half of what the fall Outerbikes have been. Plenty of bikes, plenty of room on the shuttles, trails were not really crowded.

Weather was absolutely perfect - 70 degrees and sun. Trails were a little dry, but not August drought dry. The only bad stretch I had was the bail out from Mag 7 past the Gooney Bird, the sand was terrible. It looked like they had graded the road recently, and received no moisture since then. Other than that, pretty much awesome.

There were fewer huge vendors - no Specialized/Giant/Trek. Plenty of bikes though - Marin, Yeti, Ibis, GT, RM and several smaller brands. Also, SRAM/Fox and other parts vendors. GU, Clif, and Nuun were there for electrolytes. Clif set up a tent at the split from Mag 7 to Blue Dot on the day the shuttle ran out there. That was really welcome.

Shuttles the first day went to Amasa Back parking, second day to Mag 7 and the last day they went to the new North Klondike trails system, which is absolutely awesome. Moab just keeps getting better.

Food was great, as usual. Beer was cold, as usual.

If you weren't there, you missed an awesome weekend.

mtbr member
    Yeah the trails were not that heavily used at all that weekend from what I saw. Klonzo, hymas pothole Ahab, Klondike bluffs. Was not involved in outerbike but seemed like any other weekend in moab