mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Outerbike - 2017 experience

All - I'm in the market for a new bike. Going to spend ~$4k. Going to Outerbike will add ~$1k to my budget - but lets just call that travel expenses and not bike related. My goal is to demo my short list of bikes (Ibis, YT, Giant, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain) and maybe get a few more in just to test the waters on other designs.

Is it worth it? I've read some of the threads from previous years and have mixed reviews. The biggest concern is the demos become a free for all, with no rules. If a bike in my size is booked for half or full day, that would be real bummer. Especially with boutique brands which I would assume have limited availability.

If I'm looking to maximize the number bikes to test, is the demo area close enough to decent trails for 30-60min loop and quickly get back for the next bike? I'm not rad rider, but would still like to test under varied terrain and conditions without doing anything crazy.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    First, the demo area is extremely close, as in about 200 feet. The Brand Trails range from family level to advanced, and a little expert. There are also shuttles to more distant locations but not all bikes are allowed on the shuttles.

Mark told me last week at Santa Cruz is a no-show again this year :-( Almost everyone else is there.

Get in line early, say 6:30AM, with warm clothing and BS with other riders until the gates open at 9. The run for your manufacturer tent, fast. Coffee available on-site. Very social and fun in line!! Run directly to Ibis, which is usually straight ahead and the first tent. Ibis, Yeti, and Pivot seem to have the longest lines.

Test your bike on the Brand Trails then return to pick up another. Repeat often until beer is served at 4. Don't hold a bike during lunch. The reps will hate you, as will others who are waiting.

For $4k you need to be in the line for Giant and Specialized... Or buy used. You'll be riding $7k + bikes mostly. Used is a good idea with a $4k budget.

I'm trying to figure out a way to be there this fall and will probably attend. My favorite social event of the year! So much joy on the trails. Everyone wants to talk about their demo bike.

You will get to demo what you want. Just be patient at times.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? GET IN LINE AT 6:30 FOR A 9 AM OPENING? THAT'S STUPID!!

OP, just save your money, wait and go to the Fat Tire Festival in Fruita next April where you don't have to put up with that nonsense. People might get there at 8:30 for the 9 am start of bikes going out but there's no "running to the tents" nonsense. Even though they aren't supposed to start giving out bikes until 9 am, they usually start early. We've never had a problem getting the bikes we wanted. As a matter of fact, the Ibis rep has even given us the bike at 4 pm so we didn't have to come back the next day at all.

It's even less chaotic at the Hurricane Festival though admittedly, there's a lot less people and less bike companies. Nonetheless, you can walk right up and get the bike of your choice for the most part.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? GET IN LINE AT 6:30 FOR A 9 AM OPENING? THAT'S STUPID!!
    Your comment is stupid. It is a blast standing in line in the morning with riders from around the world! Think Pamplona. This isn't a bread line for homeless. It is a key part of the whole experience. This is where you'll meet the folks you hang out with on the trails. Wife and I still talk about the guys who flew up from Colombia who where at the head of the line a few years ago.

I do Fruita and Hurricane OTE festivals at times also. Those are different but excellent. They are also smaller events and you can't easily ride out to great trails for testing bikes from the site. You can't demo nearly as many bikes. The "running" for the tents at Outerbike is more fun than lining up early at those.

Did I mention the bacon thing that Western Spirt does for those in line? Or the swag? Or the beer and lunch included? Not just great food but fun to eat it with other riders from everywhere.

Outerbike is the gold standard. The OTE events are just excellent :-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    All - I'm in the market for a new bike. Going to spend ~$4k. Going to Outerbike will add ~$1k to my budget - but lets just call that travel expenses and not bike related. My goal is to demo my short list of bikes (Ibis, YT, Giant, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain) and maybe get a few more in just to test the waters on other designs.

Is it worth it? I've read some of the threads from previous years and have mixed reviews. The biggest concern is the demos become a free for all, with no rules. If a bike in my size is booked for half or full day, that would be real bummer. Especially with boutique brands which I would assume have limited availability.

If I'm looking to maximize the number bikes to test, is the demo area close enough to decent trails for 30-60min loop and quickly get back for the next bike? I'm not rad rider, but would still like to test under varied terrain and conditions without doing anything crazy.
    Are you coming down from Canada for this? How flexible are your travel plans? Are you coming to ride anyway and just want to get some demos in, or are you coming down specifically to demo? Are you looking for bikes to ride up in the great white north? What's available for purchase up your way....do you plan to buy one down here? If you plan to buy one where you live, maybe you should just demo those brands or buy online. It's probably worth the trip just to get in some riding. Just demo a Giant Trance from Chili Pepper for a day for $55 and be done. I expect you'll love it.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You learn a lot by demoing many bikes at Outerbike. Not just how you feel on a bike but you learn from talking to the manufacturer reps and other riders. It is a great education! You won't get that at a bike shop.

I don't know your knowledge about bikes but I put together a video on how to choose a trail category bike that may be helpful and save you some time. It lives near the top of this site:

Intermediate Mountain Biking | Bike and Trails Analyses for Intermediate Riders

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Your comment is stupid. It is a blast standing in line in the morning with riders from around the world! Think Pamplona. This isn't a bread line for homeless. It is a key part of the whole experience. This is where you'll meet the folks you hang out with on the trails. Wife and I still talk about the guys who flew up from Colombia who where at the head of the line a few years ago.

I do Fruita and Hurricane OTE festivals at times also. Those are different but excellent. They are also smaller events and you can't easily ride out to great trails for testing bikes from the site. You can't demo nearly as many bikes. The "running" for the tents at Outerbike is more fun than lining up early at those.

Did I mention the bacon thing that Western Spirt does for those in line? Or the swag? Or the beer and lunch included? Not just great food but fun to eat it with other riders from everywhere.

Whatever....we'll agree to disagree. I don't think standing in line for 2.5 hours (unless it's to save thousands of dollars for some reason) is worth my time. Not for Franklin's BBQ in Austin where people get in line every day 3-4 hours before the doors open, not at Disneyland where fools wait hours to ride a 3 minute long attraction, not even to save $500 on a TV set on Black Friday and surely not to demo a bicycle that is undoubtedly no better than what I already own...and that's a stone cold guarantee!!! I guess I'm also lucky that living in SoCal, I can demo bikes for free on a regular basis at shop rides (which I rarely do).

However, I'm down with the free bacon, lunch (don't drink beer), entertainment and *especially* the camaraderie of hanging out with other riders. That's actually the #1 reason I go to the festivals to begin with. I rarely demo bikes anyway but if that was my plan, Outerbike would be the last festival I'd choose due to the need to get in line 2.5 hours before the event starts. they need to come up with a better plan.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Turner has a sale going with the RFX and Flux both in the $4000 range. Plus no tax if you don't live in Ca.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post

Great comment. It's all part of the fun. I've found you can be in the first row or just one row back by showing up at 7:30. At 8:00 you'll be back a ways. I've also met some really great guys in the Outerbike line. One guy joined our group on the Mag 7 shuttle so we were able to grab an extra bike to test and he ended up being a great addition.

Which is another way to get to more bikes. Bring a buddy that's about the same height and weight as you and trade off bikes. That way you don't have to come back to the demo area after every bike. The pickings can be a bit slim for the more popular bikes by mid-morning..... but there aren't any lines and there's still plenty of bikes to test.

Disappointed Santa Cruz will be a no show again. Still haven't ridden a High Tower.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    WellÖanother day of waffling and it looks like flights and hotels are continuing to rise, not surprised with 1 week to go. At this rate, this will be $1200+ trip, plus a day off from work and 8 hours roundtrip drive from Salt Lake to Moab for 5-6 demo rides.

I think I am going to pass Ė since I would be travelling solo with no riding buddies and no wife in tow. Iím just getting back into MTB after years off and havenít develop my personal riders network here yet.

I didnít mention Iím in NorCal (moved from Canada a few years ago) and I have access to both factory and LBS demos for both Ibis and Santa Cruz. I actually have 2 Santa Cruz demos scheduled at the same time as Outerbike Ė and it sounds like they wonít be at Outerbike. YT I am also a 4hr drive to Reno for a factory tour if I so desire, though the effort of doing that to test ride 1 bike seems a bit silly. It is lower on my peaking order. Giant, I did do a demo ride a week ago, on lower end aluminum Trance, which I liked, but hated the tires (which caused me a 2 washout crashes). If I went to Outerbike, I would of like to test ride a higher end Giant carbon trim. Rocky Mountain, I think Iíll have to waive my Canadian roots and miss out on, though there is one local event coming up in a couple of weeks that an LBS might have some Rockyís on hand. Another LBS is also doing demo days in November for Ibis, Yeti, Specialized, and Transition Ė though I hope to have made my decision and have a new bike by then.

I think at this point Iím going to stick to my original plan and demo over the course weeks/months piecemeal. Outerbike would have been a good forcing function to do it all at once and ďget it over withĒ so I can buy my bike, but itís been 18 years since I bought a new bike, so whatís another month or 2.

Might be something Iíll try next year when I have some riding buddies to go with Ė or get my wife on Moab yoga retreat while I ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Turner has a sale going with the RFX and Flux both in the $4000 range. Plus no tax if you don't live in Ca.
    Ha, I've not been paying attention to the industry for long enough to miss both the rise and fall of Turner. Though I've read up a little bit about them here on MTBR. I think if I like the DW-link on the Ibis (and already like Maestro copy on the Giant), Turner can be a consideration.