Orem, UT any good for me?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Orem, UT any good for me?

I might move there for a job.

How close am I to some good MTB and Snowboarding? How far to Moab?

Is there any good downhill out there?

What about the city of Orem, UT ? Fun or boring place? I don't drink, so that doesn't bother me, plus I grew up with Mormons.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I am actually headed to Orem right now. It is actually in one of the most conservative areas in Utah; you are near UVSC and BYU. Orem is very quiet. You arr about an hour south of SLC, 4hrs from Moab, and <1 hr from Park City and Sundance. The PC area is fantastic for Mountain Biking. Deer valley, Park City, and Canyonlands are all in PC. I live North of SLC, so I cannot tell you about the local trails. I believe thereis a DH specific shop in Orem-GORIDE or MADDOG? Check out utahmountainbiking.com.

mtbr member
    There is plenty of riding in the orem/provo area, and I think it is far more convienient than the riding in slc, that is of course in less you have enough money to live right on the benches or near big or little cottonwood. I live in downtown provo, and i takes me less than ten minutes to get to the timpanogos park trails in provo canyon..
    Anyways, there are a bunch of trail systems in and around provo canyon, also american fork canyon and payson canyon are within 30 minutes. I think that american fork canyon has some of the best singletrack in the state..
    There are also a few downhill trails coming off squaw peak, you can usually get in a few shuttles after work in the summertime..
    If downhilling is your thing shoot me a pm and you can come ride with our crew, we will show you where the goods are..
    I would choose to live in utah county over salt lake county any day of the week..
    Thats just my opinion..

Oh yeah and moab is really only 3 hours a way if you don't stop..
    I commute to and from moab in the summer..

splat
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMuncher
    I might move there for a job.

How close am I to some good MTB and Snowboarding? How far to Moab?

Is there any good downhill out there?

What about the city of Orem, UT ? Fun or boring place? I don't drink, so that doesn't bother me, plus I grew up with Mormons.
    Hey duder,

I grew up in Orem, and that's where I learned to ride. I started off on the bonneville shoreline trails, but those got real boring super fast. then there's southfork, just a short drive up provo canyon. that's a fun little ride. get's crowded with slow people though. then you have your squaw peak ride. it's a fun little shuttle ride, nothing to scream or holler about, but it certainly is fun. you can also do another ride where you ride up to the base of timpanogas mountain, above baldy, and come flyin down dry canyon.

really though, the only riding i did around orem was up american fork canyon. i love it up there. on the weekdays, i'd usually find myself riding up there by myself, and there's trails for everyone up there. i'm still not finished exploring all the trails up there. to the top of the alpine loop was about 20 miles from my parent's house in orem, and it was worth it everytime going up there.

sundance is ok, again nothing to get terribly excited about. the trails are pretty boring... but it is a chair lift, so you can go down and down again. i say try it, just so you can see how it is. if you like downhill, get yourself over to deer valley. barely less than an hour (scenic) drive up through provo canyon, through heber, and over to park city. it will fill your heart with joy.

as far as snowboarding goes... i got a pass to park city and snowbird every year. it's about an hour either way. it's a good setup because one will usually get more snow than the other. sundance is cool because it is so close, and it actually does get some sweet powder days, but on average, it's just ok.

you're about 3-4 hours from moab and about 3-4 hours from zion's... depending on how you drive. i like the riding down by zion's and st. george quite a bit, so i'd consider riding down there just as much as moab.

as far as bike shops go... i like the guys over at maddog in orem a lot, and bingham's cyclery in downtown provo. i've never been to a lot of the others, but i'm sure they're just fine.

orem, ut. um... i don't know what to tell you. anything that i could tell you about it would probably reflect my high school experience more than anything else. i suppose it's a good town. it has everything you need... and everything else you need is in provo. i get sick of the students. something like 20,000 students at UVSC, and 30,000 at BYU. i'm pretty sure i hate them all. even my own brother.

but it's a friendly town, definitely one of those family-oriented places. as far as being a fun or boring place? it's whatever you make of it. it definitely has a lot of potential for either. in my mind, and maybe it's because i grew up in orem, i'm for sure not going to live there when i'm settled down and finished with school. then again, i'm anti social and i hate happy people. or maybe i just hate BYU.
    have a safe and productive day.

Andykiller

Hope Orem Blows, but You are Close to Good Things

Orem . . . . . . hmmmmmmm . . . I would not want to live there. My sister lived there and said it sucked. I grew up in Salt Lake and would not move to Orem. However, I do not know what state you are coming from, but if the skiing sucks where you live, Orem will definitely be an upgrade. Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude are all within an hour drive. Do not bother with Sundance, the snow sucks and there are too many hollywood types in rehab up there.

If you want to be around tons of chicks, Orem is a good place to be. The girls are all virgins and definitly ready to lose it to somebody. But remember, they will want a long term commitment "eternity" to give it up.

Culturally, Orem and Provo are really flat, but if the job is good, follow the money. I have always said, you can live in a lot of places so long as the biking and skiing/boarding is good. And how bad can it be to be 3 hours from Moab, the best mountain biking in the world. You may say, "dude I have ridden all of Moab's trails," and I would say "keep telling yourself that."

The mountain biking near Orem has some good variation up in the mountains, but my guess is the good stuff is not exactly well know. The well know trails are average, but there is plenty to explore.

My advice, follow the money, the skiing, the Moab factor, the virgins and whatever else you can get your hands on. However, if your job is one that will be difficult to get time off, and have the freetime to pursue these good things, you might as well not bother with Orem, because you will be bored as hell.

Also, the people in Orem can be a bit Zombie, or brainwashed in some ways. They are nice people and friendly, but a bit provincial.

Good luck.

splat
    i agree with just about everything andykiller said. haha, nicely put.

mtbr member
    Happy Valley scare bleu.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

splat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Job better pay really well. Commute from SLC is my vote. But the Momo's are putting $2 billion into dowtown SLC in an attempt to take it back, who knows if SLC will be much better than Orem and Provo after that's done.
    commuting wouldn't be bad. everyone is going to SL from orem/provo, and vice versa at night. going the other way isn't bad at all.

Dec 2006
    Hey thanks guys!

I'm living near Seattle WA, which has everything!

I could get a good job in Utah, so I was wondering if it was worth it. Plus it wouldn't hurt for a change in scenery for a couple years and the quality of snow has got to be better than here.

I also have a chance to move to Boulder CO for the same type of job.

I'm into XC and full out DH and have actually been living in Vancouver BC for the last year riding the North Shore.

I will let you locals know if I move down there. I would love to hook up some riding.

mtbr member
    There's some pretty sick trails at Squaw peak
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Just a punk in the street
    Is it possible to visit both places and check them out before you decide? Thats what I would do. Utah is a great place to live. We have killer outdoor recreation. The attitude here can be a bit hard to stomach sometimes. There is a completely different attitude and feel here as compared to the Pacific Northwest. Completely different. I don't get caught up in it so it is no big deal to me. But I have seen many people move here then move away because it's just too weird here sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 0