Opinions wanted on 18 mile CG (Fruita, CO)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New question here. Opinions wanted on 18 mile CG (Fruita, CO)

We are seeking public input about the 18 mile (North Fruita Desert Campground) north of Fruita on the 18 mile road. Currently, BLM appropriated funding is adequate for operating the campground.

Specifically:

Should the BLM charge a fee, and if so, how much should that fee be?

What if any amenities would you like to see the BLM add to the campground, and how much would you be willing to pay for them?

What if any amenities should be removed?

During busy weekends and during the Fruita Fat Tire Festival, overflow campers have been able to use the open areas just east of the campsites but within the loop formed by the campsite road. This works, since nobody is paying fees for the amenities that everyone is using, and everyone gets to use the toilets. But with fees, that could change. How should the BLM address the issue of overflow camping in the area? A few ideas:

Fees for the designated campsites, no fees anywhere else, but camping only allowed inside the campground loop.

Fees for the designated campsites, lower fees for dispersed camping within the campground loop, and free dispersed camping throughout the rest of the MTB area

or: Please tell us your ideas!

Thanks in advance!

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    that would be cool, my only request for campground amenities that I would pay for is a shower!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Leave it be. No fees, no services. Use a sun shower. There's plenty of sun there. The camping is one of the cool things about 18 rd. IMHO.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Leave it be. No fees, no services. Use a sun shower. There's plenty of sun there. The camping is one of the cool things about 18 rd. IMHO.
    Ditto. Don't develop 18 Road. It's perfect just the way it is.

Ride and Smile
    Less is better.
    Love the non-developed stuff for as long as we can get it.
    Thanks

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I don't mind paying for camping if it cuts down on the ten-person parties of douxche-stix trampling all over the hillside burning junipers and blaring Phish until 2.30 AM. There's a place for that and it's called Gooseberry Mesa.

I have prepared a few renderings of what I think could be done out there with the right inspiration:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions wanted on 18 mile CG (Fruita, CO)-pool-raw-1024x762.jpg  

Opinions wanted on 18 mile CG (Fruita, CO)-entrance-1024x624.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I don't mind paying for camping if it cuts down on the ten-person parties of douxche-stix trampling all over the hillside burning junipers and blaring Phish until 2.30 AM. There's a place for that and it's called Gooseberry Mesa.
    Yeah but Gooseberry is way too far from Brahlorado for the hippies to get to. It's all about Froota, maaaan...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Who the phuck still listens to Phish?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for all the comments!

Since these are your public lands, your comments are important. Please continue to comment and invite your friends to do the same. Your input helps shape the management of the campground.

Thanks!

Dave

mtbr member
    I don't mind paying a little if it helps to keep up the campground and toilets. It would be really nice if there were more official camping to the west. But this is america and we want everything for nothing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Install a donation box at the trailheads, so fees are not charged.

I love camping at 18 Rd, and hope free camping is not done away with. Showers are not necesary.

Fruita is a town built around mountain bikes and a headless chicken.

It is a community. If you need a shower ask at Over the Edge, there is a place in town you can take a shower for a few bucks, or you can go to the state park where the 18 Hr event is held. They have showers there too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    can you delete this thread(duplicate) please

follow the link below to respond in the Western Slope CO. forum

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=693263

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry about the duplicate post, but the idea is to solicit comments from as many visitors as possible, including people who are not necessarily considering a visit to Fruita at the moment but who still have an interest in what happens at the campground.

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. It appears that the BLM will address the issue of fees at the next meeting of the Northwest Resource Advisory Committee on December 1st, 2011, in Gateway, Colorado. This will probably be the public's last chance to comment, although I will try to pass on any comments made on this website if made before that time.

Thanks again.

Dave

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by xjpart2 View Post
    Install a donation box at the trailheads, so fees are not charged.

I love camping at 18 Rd, and hope free camping is not done away with. Showers are not necesary.

Fruita is a town built around mountain bikes and a headless chicken.

It is a community. If you need a shower ask at Over the Edge, there is a place in town you can take a shower for a few bucks, or you can go to the state park where the 18 Hr event is held. They have showers there too.
    Winner!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do as much as you can to keep the camping FREE. We're in an economic depression. The last thing people need is to be charged for sleeping in dirt.
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry Ilovemtnbiking, we tried.

On November 28th, 2011, your comments were sent to the BLM for inclusion in the public comments concerning the North Fruita Desert proposal. According to Jim Cagney, the designated Federal Official, they were received.

On December 1st, 2011, the Recreation Resource Advisory Committee voted to approve a $10/night fee for the North Fruita Desert Campground.

The BLM cannot begin charging a fee until 6 months after the fee proposal has been posted in the federal register. At the meeting, it was thought that the proposal would be published sometime n January.

That means that this Spring will be the last time you will be able to camp at North Fruita Desert CG for free.

Enjoy it while you can!

Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the update. I will definitely be taking advantage of the last free camping there this spring. Oh well, we enjoyed it while it lasted
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Members who have read this thread: 0