One Day (Thur) in St George/Hurricane- Mtbr.com
    bike rider

One Day (Thur) in St George/Hurricane

What are the most fun trails in the area? I've got 1 day to ride there. I'm not afraid to pedal a lot or put in a lot of miles but I ride a Nomad and prefer more "interesting" trails. I'll probably be able to do 2 or 3 separate rides. I've got from dawn to dusk.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    What are the most fun trails in the area? I've got 1 day to ride there. I'm not afraid to pedal a lot or put in a lot of miles but I ride a Nomad and prefer more "interesting" trails. I'll probably be able to do 2 or 3 separate rides. I've got from dawn to dusk.
    Gooseberry Mesa.

Start at the windmill parking lot and do a "figure 8" loop. From the Windmill, work your way to the "White Trail" parking lot.
    -South Rim to Hidden Canyon
    -Hidden Canyon - North Rim
    -North Rim to the point (don't skip the "yellow" trail extension
    -Point to south Rim
    -South Rim to Hidden Canyon (you'll do this same trail segment twice. It's yummy)
    -North Rim back to Windmill parking lot.

Eat Lunch.

From the same windmill parking lot do Gander as an out and back.

That would be something like 35 total miles.

bike rider
    Thanks. If anyone wants join me post up and we'll set a ride time.

mtbr member
    Scratch Gander. It's a fun ride but not worthy of the Nomad...... unless you use it to get over to the top of Grafton Mesa.

In which case I'd recommend starting at the Grafton Cemetery (the end of the Grafton Mesa descent), climb up the road to where Gander starts, then do Gooseberry then back over Gander (or take the road if you're getting tired) to the top of Grafton then down Grafton.

Now in the PM....... How fit are you?
    Last edited by KRob; 11-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Scratch Gander. It's a fun ride but not worthy of the Nomad...... unless you use it to get over to the top of Grafton Mesa.
    KRob speaks truth. If you can arrange a shuttle, just do Gander west to east and then head down Grafton Mesa.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

In which case I'd recommend starting at the Grafton Cemetery (the end of the Grafton Mesa descent), climb up the road to where Gander starts, then do Gooseberry then back over Gander (or take the road if you're getting tired) to the top of Grafton then down Grafton.

Now in the PM....... How fit our you?
    Sounds good. I'm pro fit so I'm down for that as a morning ride and something else in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. I'm pro fit so I'm down for that as a morning ride and something else in the afternoon.
    In that case, I'd either do Little Creek in the PM or if you can get some shuttles and like hairy/exposed/droppy/steep downs do Flying Monkey and Nephi's Twist. So fun.

The other (shorter) ride that would be a good PM addition to the Gander/Goose/Grafton morning ride would be Zen/Barrels double loop in St. George.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

bike rider
    Don't really feel like paying for a shuttle so one of those other two rides sounds good.

mtbr member
    Another excellent option is Guacamole. Very fun trail with a similar feel to Gooseberry/Gander.

Zen/Barrel is a good suggestion if you are looking for something techy, with a different feel to Gooseberry. It's a bit of a drive (~1 hour) from the Gooseberry trailhead, but not a whole lot worse than getting to Guacamole.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Flying Monkey is still under repair/maintenance after the big rains last month so take that into consideration if you go there. The top half above King Kong is as good as it has ever been. Everything below that needs work, but Steve Woods has been putting in some shovel time there lately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would say Gooseberry in the morning. Little Creek is amazing if you can find a local to ride with in the PM. If you go out alone you'll probably just spend half your time looking for the trail. If you can't find a buddy for Little Creek, Guacamole is a good second choice.

bike rider
    Thanks again for the tips guys. I didn't get into town till afternoon so only time for one ride. I parked above Grafton. Rode Gander to Gooseberry and did Neil's recommended route. Then Gander back and down Grafton finishing just as the moon rose. Pedaled the road back up to my car under moonlight. Good stuff. I'll stop again when I come back through mid May

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the tips guys. I didn't get into town till afternoon so only time for one ride. I parked above Grafton. Rode Gander to Gooseberry and did Neil's recommended route. Then Gander back and down Grafton finishing just as the moon rose. Pedaled the road back up to my car under moonlight. Good stuff. I'll stop again when I come back through mid May
    That's great ride. Glad you enjoyed it.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Strong ride! Nice work.