One day to ride in Park City.....- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

One day to ride in Park City.....

So the wife and I have decided that we are going to extend our annual trip out to Steamboat Springs, CO by one day and stay in Park City for more than just the night. I will be bringing my bike with me so wondering what are some "must ride" loops that I can do while there.

Dates will be; arriving afternoon/evening of June 30th and leaving on the 2nd to finish the last leg to CO. So that gives me the ability to ride on Monday the 1st.

Fairly capable intermediate rider that likes tech and chunk and will be bringing my Guerrilla Gravity The Smash with me. We normally stay at the Best Western Landmark right off the freeway as it is a cheap hotel and pretty nice with decent breakfast.

Wife wants to go do a few things while I ride, so if I can ride to/from the hotel to the TH, that is preferable.

mtbr member
    Well, assuming you mean Kimball Junction when you say "by the freeway", you can ride to pretty much any of the trails if necessary. That doesn't mean they are only a few blocks but the ride out is easy in both directions. Flying Dog would be the closest ride that fits your criteria but it's also not what most people think of when they think Park City since it's not at any of the resorts. I'd personally go ride the lifts over at Deer Valley. They generally have more challenging and less crowded trails. However, I have no idea when they start their MTB season.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Well, assuming you mean Kimball Junction when you say "by the freeway", you can ride to pretty much any of the trails if necessary. That doesn't mean they are only a few blocks but the ride out is easy in both directions. Flying Dog would be the closest ride that fits your criteria but it's also not what most people think of when they think Park City since it's not at any of the resorts. I'd personally go ride the lifts over at Deer Valley. They generally have more challenging and less crowded trails. However, I have no idea when they start their MTB season.
    You are correct, the place we normally stay is at Kimball Junction, just couldn't remember what it was called.

Based on what you said, I guess the begs the question, What are some "must ride" places that I would be able to do in a day. Normal ride for me can be anywhere from 15-20+ miles, elevation will probably have little affect on me since I live at 4500' and normally ride up to 6-7K' on a regular basis. Higher than that really depends on how bad our snowpack is to get up above 7k' with trails being clear. This year we got a lot of snow late in the season and they are predicting that it will stick around through July, so should be interesting.

Anyways, what would be some "iconic" rides to do since I have never ridden that area that would be good that time of year? Wouldn't mind doing a shuttle service if there is one that I can either have the wife drop me off to, or ride to from the hotel.

mtbr member
    There is a flat trail that you could ride each way that is 10 miles per the White Pine shop page "The McCleod Trail/Willow Creek/Hwy 224 Connector parallels Highway 224—the main thoroughfare in and out of town—on the east side of the highway. Paved or well-grated, you can ride this trail all the way from Kimball Junction’s Redstone/Newpark area to Downtown Park City. Much of the trail follows a stream bed and has park benches along the way, in case you like to take your time".

You *MAY* be able to catch the free town bus over at the shops by Kimball Junction. I never use it so I'll let the locals chime in on that.

Over at Deer Valley, I like Thieves Forest, Twist & Shout, Payroll and while it's a long blue trail, Deer Crest is a blast and leads down into Spin Cycle.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As noted, Flying Dog loop would be the easiest from the hotel. Ride it counter clockwise.

As also noted, PC has a great free bus system. I'm honestly not sure if it goes all the way to Kimball but you should be able to find out. If not, it's an easy pedal to the Canyons base area and you can get on there. You can use it to shuttle as high as the Mid-Mountain trail where it passes the Montage hotel.

As far as "iconic" rides, Crest is the obvious choice. But, the snowpack is all-time right now and still building so it might not be ready. If it is, ascent options are Armstrong/Pinecone or CMG/Apex/Shadow Lake. Descend down to the Canyons base via Ambush/Ricochet (easier) or Red Coat/Insurgent/Richochet (harder). The full Mid-Mountain point-to-point is also fairly iconic, and *probably* won't be a junkshow on a Monday.

PC isn't exactly known for tech, but it does have some. John's is a classic and would be fun if you're into tight/twisty/rooty. Another good one would be to start at Snow Park (main DV base area) and climb Rossi Hill to TDS Ontario Bypass to Mid Mountain to the Silver Lake Lodge base area, then descend Four Point to Devo to Old Skool to Pointy Rocks.

All these trails are on Trailforks. Highly recommend studying up beforehand and having your phone handy during the ride. The whole greater-PC environ is absolutely spider-webbed with trails and can definitely be confusing.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks for all the input guys and please keep it coming!!!
    Yeah that is part of why I am starting the thread now, I am a planner by nature and profession so I like having things spec'd out beforehand if I am going by myself. If I have someone that is local and willing to play guide, that is a different story.

I have been looking at Trailforks and use the app pretty religiously when I am out of my normal ride areas. I realize that not everyone/everyplace is going to have tech, just want to get done and have a massive grin on my face. If that means I have miles and miles of flowy, awesome descent but requires a bit of a climb to get up there, so-be-it, I am totally down for earning my turns.

Tahoe has a great variety due to its location and the changing terrain. You can be in sandy, pummicy kitty litter for miles of climbing/descending only to hit another section of trail and get into deep, rich loam like you would see in the PNW then travel a few more miles and get into moonscape flowy hardpack. The one thing we do not really have around here is miles of flowy descent or climbs. Everything around here has lots and lots of switchbacks to gain elevation, that is unless you like fireroads. And really, you can travel a couple hours west of Tahoe into the more California side of things and be met with completely different landscape. Hell it takes a short time to get from Lake Tahoe to Chico, Ca and riding in the trees in Chico means something totally different than riding around Tahoe pines!

mtbr member
    There are really so many options to choose from. I'd probably try and get flying dog in if you have time. Can pedal there from your hotel easily and is pretty quick, though not technical at all. I'd look into the road to arcylon. Short, fun trail near you, though more of a fun ride to end the day with rather than something to plan around.

I live in PC and would be willing to ride with you if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCpowderhound View Post
    There are really so many options to choose from. I'd probably try and get flying dog in if you have time. Can pedal there from your hotel easily and is pretty quick, though not technical at all. I'd look into the road to arcylon. Short, fun trail near you, though more of a fun ride to end the day with rather than something to plan around.

I live in PC and would be willing to ride with you if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks @SLCpowderhound... I may take you up on that. Would love to have a local rider show me around. Like I said, I have a full day available for riding, or at least most of a day so a bigger loop would be awesome. Anyways, as we get closer to the trip I will send you a PM.

Got a mtb race a few days beforehand so should be recovered by then and would be a great spin to get the legs moving again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The Round Valley area has a whole bunch of trails that you can ride in a loop and/or explore for a day. Nothing too crazy and technical, but a good spot to pedal and have a good time finding your way around for a few hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Some comments on the last couple posts:

-Arcylon is a freeride trail. If you're not into jumping I'd skip it.
    -Round Valley are nice XC trails, but if you're here mid-summer and can only do one ride I'd skip them.

mtbr member
    Good info/conditions:
    https://mountaintrails.org/
    Yeti/Moose Puddles is a nice short loop, off the beaten path, that can access trails to the ridge. Rob's is a nice climb that is directional for part of its length and connect with Moose Puddles as well, if it's wet up high. FD is good in both directions, if you prefer flowy, CCW is better. CW is also good and it's not directional. Moose Hollow/Avenues is a gruelling climb out of the Jeremy Ranch area.

mtbr member

One day to ride...

For a lot of mileage and for flowy trails (per your Tahoe comments), I'd recommend getting a day pass at Deer Valley. They're currently scheduled to open 6/16, and even though we have a good snowpack this year we aren't anywhere near Tahoe's levels. Lift-Served Mountain Biking - Summer in Deer Valley Resort.

Or if you want to climb more, riding with someone local is a great idea--there's a lot of trail mileage, and we won't know the conditions at various elevations until closer to summer.

You can definitely get from Kimball Jct. to the base of Deer Valley (and other locations in town) via the free bus system. The transit system is transitioning to spring schedules tomorrow and won't list schedules for summer yet, but check https://www.google.com/maps or https://go.parkcity.org/InfoPoint; there's also a MyStop phone app.
    Last edited by lkgeo; 04-07-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: add bus note

Short-Change-Hero
    Awesome.. Thanks for the info @lkgeo
    Yeah I am thinking that the local rider tag-a-long game is probably going to be the best bet. As I get closer I will post something up.

Short-Change-Hero
    Alright everyone... So we will be coming in in the early evening on Sunday the 30th and I plan to ride Monday the 1st.

Looking to pedal more than do a park (e.g. I'm cheap and don't want to pay for a lift pass) so what all is open and good dirt currently. Been trying to watch the local website to see what all is going on. Watching temps too as it has been hot as ballz here the last couple weeks so hoping its a bit cooler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    so what all is open and good dirt currently.
    You have 2 weeks. Things will change for the better.

Go here:
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map
    Click on "Conditions". Mountain Trails does an okay job of keeping things up to date on the map and on FB: https://www.facebook.com/mountaintrailsfoundation/
    You will already be able to do some significant rides now and it will just get better.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You have 2 weeks. Things will change for the better.

Go here:
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map
    Click on "Conditions". Mountain Trails does a fair job of keeping things up to date on the map. You will already be able to do some significant rides now and it will just get better.
    Thanks! That's a neat little map that I have never seen before.

mtbr member
    Thanks! That's a neat little map that I have never seen before.
    Yeah. Check back a few days prior and we will be able to give you more up to date and detailed info on trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    gregnash,

It doesn't feel like you are getting clear direction. The climbing and trails in PC area are great - no need to ride lifts unless that is your thing.

Things will be in good shape when you come. Your timing will be good.

Flying dog is a very good ride. Depending on how you do it it can easily be a 20 - 25 mile ride with plenty of climbing and descending.

Classic PC riding goes in, around the mid-mountain trail. Access the mid mountain via Deer Crest, Jennis or Armstrong. On a monday the trails shouldn't be too crowded which is a real treat.

You can put your bike on a free bus from Kimball and get to PC. Then you can ride up the start of DV trails or to the start of the PC trails.

Look at maybe getting on the MidMountain from Deer Crest, then heading along the trial, picking up some up and down loops or out and backs along the way, like Tommy Two Step, Three Candles - out and back on Keysonte if [might not be snow feee bythen, then down Mojave back to MM, then go up and back Pincone till you hit snow or a tree etc., then descending into town for post ride beers at one of the main street or off main street bars and then put your bike back on the bus and head out to Kimball.

Round Valley is fun - but not what you are looking for. I personally prefer the PC rides over the Canyons trails.

You'll have a blast. Cheers

Short-Change-Hero
    I appreciate all the info guys. I don't think anyone was necessarily trying to push me to the resorts, just adding the availability there for those items. Main concern that I had with resorts is based on experience on our couple we have locally (Northstar) where you are required to have a pass to be on the mountain, period. Even if you don't plan on using the lifts, you still have to purchase a pass to use the trails. Yes there are ways to access the trails from outside the resort but otherwise you are required, even when pedaling.

Looking at trailforks, it looks like Flying Dog is directly across the freeway from me so that may be my go to. Easy spin to get the legs warm prior to climbing then there seems to be a nice network of trails on the other side there. I know that I have A LOT of options and very limited time to ride, so just hoping to get something fun while I am there. Hoping to make PC an annual trip for a few days where I can ride, but due to my work, I get limited time off each year and normally a good portion of that is designated for accompanying the wife on her work trips.

@jsnowut I will take a look at some of those trails you mentioned. Would definitely be nice to be able to drop into town and grab a beer post-ride. The wife can shuttle me somewhere but was just planning on having the option to ride to trailhead from hotel as needed. I don't necessarily want to be gone the entire day but getting in a good 3-5hr ride would be awesome. Plan is to hit the trails early-ish (between 8-10) and then ride for 3-5hrs so I can be done in the early afternoon. Then go spend some time with the wife. Next day (7/2) will be another 5-6hrs in the car to get to Steamboat so getting some good exercise out before the long ride will be nice.

Short-Change-Hero
    So looking at the trail maps and whatnot, it seems that Mid Mountain pretty much stretches from near Kimball Junction and "can" go all the way across to Deer Crest parking lot? Is Mid Mountain single direction in any places? looking on Trailforks you occasionally get the directional arrow to pop up but no information saying that it is for sure.

So what I am currently looking at is starting in PC since it looks like most of the trails are directional from that side going out.

Climbing Spiro>Armstrong>Midmountain all the way across to Olympic>Moose Puddle or Yeti and that should drop me near the Millenial Trail where I should be able to easily pop out to Kimball Junction and the hotel.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    So looking at the trail maps and whatnot, it seems that Mid Mountain pretty much stretches from near Kimball Junction and "can" go all the way across to Deer Crest parking lot? Is Mid Mountain single direction in any places? looking on Trailforks you occasionally get the directional arrow to pop up but no information saying that it is for sure.

So what I am currently looking at is starting in PC since it looks like most of the trails are directional from that side going out.

Climbing Spiro>Armstrong>Midmountain all the way across to Olympic>Moose Puddle or Yeti and that should drop me near the Millenial Trail where I should be able to easily pop out to Kimball Junction and the hotel.

Thoughts?
    MM is not directional. It extends way south, from south of Silver Lake Lodge out toward Pinebrook, but above the junction of Ambush and MM, it becomes HT of MM going north. It then drops into Pinebrook.

I don't recommend climbing Spiro. Just go up Armstrong, which is directional, up to get to MM. I expect you plan to head north at that point toward The Canyons. You'll come to a junction of MM and Iron Man. Either way works, as they come back together at Gold Finger again. I normally stay on MM.

At the junction of Rob's and Olympic, Olympic is two way and Rob's is uphill only.
    Yeti's is also directional, as a climb. Moose Puddle is not directional. At the bottom of Moose Puddle, I'd jump on BLT to OMH (directional as a DH) to the Millenial trail.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    MM is not directional. It extends way south, from south of Silver Lake Lodge out toward Pinebrook, but above the junction of Ambush and MM, it becomes HT of MM going north. It then drops into Pinebrook.

I don't recommend climbing Spiro. Just go up Armstrong, which is directional, up to get to MM. I expect you plan to head north at that point toward The Canyons. You'll come to a junction of MM and Iron Man. Either way works, as they come back together at Gold Finger again. I normally stay on MM.

At the junction of Rob's and Olympic, Olympic is two way and Rob's is uphill only.
    Yeti's is also directional, as a climb. Moose Puddle is not directional. At the bottom of Moose Puddle, I'd jump on BLT to OMH (directional as a DH) to the Millenial trail.
    Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation. I will plan the adjustments accordingly and yes you are correct that I will be riding north. When I was looking at the map I cold not see where there was direct access to Armstrong, just a small juncture from Spiro, hence climbing that. I will do some more investigation and then on the way back hit Moose Puddle>BLT>OMH to Millenial. Looks like this should be close to a 20 mile ride so should be about the perfect amount of time to start around 8-9am and be done around noonish.

mtbr member
    Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation. I will plan the adjustments accordingly and yes you are correct that I will be riding north. When I was looking at the map I cold not see where there was direct access to Armstrong, just a small juncture from Spiro, hence climbing that. I will do some more investigation and then on the way back hit Moose Puddle>BLT>OMH to Millenial. Looks like this should be close to a 20 mile ride so should be about the perfect amount of time to start around 8-9am and be done around noonish.
    Start at the lower PCMR parking lot near the First Time lift. Go up access to Jenni's/Armstrong. Take the right fork to Armstrong via Silver Spur.

https://www.parkcitymountain.com/-/m...C0655732F359C2

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks! I will look at the access from PCMR.

mtbr member
    The routes are pretty well signed. If you take the bus to PCMR base you'd go north past the buildings & down toward the First Time lift. There are switchbacks going up the hill above & to the left of FT lift; partway up there's a sign at the junction to Jenni's vs. Silver Spur.
    If you had more time you could extend the climb up to the Crest and across, then drop down to & past the Canyons--but you'll get a fair amount of mileage and climbing on MM.
    Also btw Spiro would be a more technical climb up to MM, but it also has a moderate amount of downhill traffic; Armstrong's up-only for bikes.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by lkgeo View Post
    The routes are pretty well signed. If you take the bus to PCMR base you'd go north past the buildings & down toward the First Time lift. There are switchbacks going up the hill above & to the left of FT lift; partway up there's a sign at the junction to Jenni's vs. Silver Spur.
    If you had more time you could extend the climb up to the Crest and across, then drop down to & past the Canyons--but you'll get a fair amount of mileage and climbing on MM.
    Also btw Spiro would be a more technical climb up to MM, but it also has a moderate amount of downhill traffic; Armstrong's up-only for bikes.
    Awesome. Thank you guys I really appreciate the information.
    If anyone is interested in joining me feel free to shoot me a PM. Like I said, plan it to probably hit the trailhead between 8 and 9am and while I realize most work Monday, its always nice to have company especially in unknown territory.

Short-Change-Hero
    Wanted to say thank you again to everyone for the help. Trails were awesome and had a ton of fun. Ended up logging 34 miles on Monday. That was more because I got turned around. Ended up doing Jenni's up to Mid-Mtn. but didn't realize it went both ways. Got turned around at some point (think it was called HomeRun) and ended up heading east and didn't realize it. Didn't realize what was going on until I got all the way to the Deer Valley lifts!!!

Turned around at that point and started riding back and going the other way thinking I could get to Armstrong and descend... no dice, didn't realize Armstrong was only an UP trail. So rode about a mile or so past that and I was completely gassed so I turned around and descended from there back to the First-Time Lift (where I came up). From there I said screw it and just pedaled back to Kimball Junction... Definitely need to get back there so I can ride some more trails, tons of fun and some good challenging sections!