Ogden/Snowbasin/Xterra tire?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ogden/Snowbasin/Xterra tire?

Wife is racing in Xterra Nationals.
    Tire selections recommendations?
    Simple guidelines of aggressive vs. XC-type fine.
    Wife has above average technical skills, FWTW, but is used to riding more aggressive tread, esp. in the front.

Thnx.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Those requirements have all the makings of a 29er conversion ! However, if she's that core I would go so far as a 29er conversion with the addition of a Lefty fork so you can spend extra money on a special-needs front hub. Plus it will keep you off the streets and out of trouble while attempting the Franken-mod.

The way this should play out to be the most effective:
    1. Don't tell your wife your going to be messing with her bike.
    2. Post a Thread in the appropriate bike brand forum asking about 29er conversions. Wait three minutes and if you don't get a response, post another, separate thread and repeat until you get an answer.
    3. Dwell over the prospect of just going to a 650b but lay your thought processes out here for all to see.
    4. Finally go for the 29er conversion but at the last moment hesitate and use a cyclocross front rim/tire. Ride it for 30 seconds until she pinch flats.
    5. Apply for a new credit card and purchase a new front wheel/Left Fork and attempt to install.
    6. Go back and purchase the correct adaptors for the Lefty fork.
    7. Install the Lefty fork and have your wife go for a test ride.
    8. Remove the Lefty fork after test ride and go back to Guthries to warranty Lefty.
    9. Go back and reinstall all of her old crap and just use whatever XC tire that was on the bike in the first place.

Just couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    Man, this is the best advice I've gotten on the interwebz. I am so glad I posted. Do you charge per hour or per diem?

What do you think of me just mounting a BumbleBee motor on her bike and reassuring her the race officials won't notice?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Man, this is the best advice I've gotten on the interwebz. I am so glad I posted. Do you charge per hour or per diem?

What do you think of me just mounting a BumbleBee motor on her bike and reassuring her the race officials won't notice?
    It's all in good fun. BumbleBee motor should work as well.
    FWIW: My neighbor actually races the Xterra stuff (up until he fractured his wrist on Flying Dog of all trails) and mentioned he pretty much just ran Kenda Small Blocks, particularly on the rear. However, he's a Kenda sponsored guy so who knows.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The small block wouldn't be too bad but I prefer something more aggressive in the front.

I'll be running a Schwalbe Racing Ralph front & rear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

These questions are so hard to answer.

The best advice I can give you is to run whatever tire she is used to. The difference in rolling resistance or 20 grams per tire is far less then the difference that being able to ride with confidence makes.

I ride at snowbasin a few times a year and just did the 50k race up there and I think the course is well suited to fast tires. Its not super techy or super steep. That being said I run Specialized Captain Controls which at pretty heavy (620 grams ish) and I don't think they roll particularlly fast. However they have proven very reliable and durable while still being lightish and fastish.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    slc- the fun was right backatcha.

Others- got it. No big a$$ 2.3's.

Dec 2008
    My tentaitive setup for that race is Rocket Ron 2.25 up front and Stan's Crow (similar to small block 8 in a way) 2.1 on the bac
    k. Doesn't sound too rocky there. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My wife is also doing the race. I've got her on smallblocks front and back. I'm thinking of swapping the front out for a nevegal or high roller though.

I would make sure to have a back up set of a more spaced tread pattern in case of rain. That area gets super muddy in the wet and the small blocks have horrible cleaning characteristics.

Members who have read this thread: 0