Ogden - The Shire is no more?- Mtbr.com
    Perpetual n00b

Ogden - The Shire is no more?

The wife and I were out on the bike path tonight and hiked our way into The Shire (singletrack off Parker Drive) to find it had been plowed/dozed near the truck. There's also a No Trespassing sign up where the plowing was done.

Very unfortunate, that was my favorite section of trail along the river.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    The wife and I were out on the bike path tonight and hiked our way into The Shire (singletrack off Parker Drive) to find it had been plowed/dozed near the truck. There's also a No Trespassing sign up where the plowing was done.

Very unfortunate, that was my favorite section of trail along the river.
    We (Ogden Trails) have been working towards making the Shire a legal trail for awhile now. The features were largely on Riverdale City property, and they decided to remove the features for liability reasons. Ogden City & Ogden Trails were not responsible. We believe we can repair the trail and make it legal. However, the features will likely not be reinstalled.

We have a large piece of property by Ft Buenaventura that we hope to make into a very nice, similar course.

Darren
    Ogden Trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

It's not dead yet!

" The features were largely on Riverdale City property, and they decided to remove the features for liability reasons. "

Riverdale City's closure of the property was only temporary, and was required by their liability insurance carrier. The city is discussing the trail at their strategic planning meeting on Saturday, 2-28-15, and I hope to make it a permanent, public trail, rather than a bootleg trail. Hopefully those who built and use the trail will work with us.

Mike Staten
    Riverdale Cyclists FB Group
    Riverdale Bike Park FB page
    Riverdale City Council

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Riverdale City's closure of the property was only temporary, and was required by their liability insurance carrier. The city is discussing the trail at their strategic planning meeting on Saturday, 2-28-15, and I hope to make it a permanent, public trail, rather than a bootleg trail. Hopefully those who built and use the trail will work with us.

Mike Staten
    Riverdale Cyclists FB Group
    Riverdale Bike Park FB page
    Riverdale City Council

Perpetual n00b
    Thanks for the update. I suppose it could be a lot worse.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah. I love the trail too, and I think it's commendable of the guys who built and maintain it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8IofOWCMg

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverdaleCyclists View Post
    Yeah. I love the trail too, and I think it's commendable of the guys who built and maintain it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8IofOWCMg
    Yea I showed my wife that video after I discovered the trail and she was excited to ride it. Alas, 'twas not meant to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Have some faith in the powers that be...and then, of course, call them and tell them what you think. Time is short - it's got to be before Saturday.

City Officials
    Mayor Norm Searle

Perpetual n00b
    Have some faith in the powers that be...and then, of course, call them and tell them what you think. Time is short - it's got to be before Saturday.

City Officials
    Mayor Norm Searle
    So how'd it go? I noticed someone spray painted over the No Trespassing signs. I figured it was vandals or something because the city would just pull them out, am I right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

We're not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    So how'd it go? I noticed someone spray painted over the No Trespassing signs. I figured it was vandals or something because the city would just pull them out, am I right?
    Honestly, not good. The city attorney painted a dire picture of death and disaster, and two of the councilors talked about broken necks and lawsuits. It's going to take a bit of convincing, and some more time.

I don't know anything about the spray paint, but for now, the city has closed off the land to the public...smh.

Perpetual n00b
    Honestly, not good. The city attorney painted a dire picture of death and disaster, and two of the councilors talked about broken necks and lawsuits. It's going to take a bit of convincing, and some more time.

I don't know anything about the spray paint, but for now, the city has closed off the land to the public...smh.
    Death and disaster on possibly the tamest trail in the entire Wasatch? He must be one hell of an attorney. What's his name? Is he voted in? If so, we can rectify that situation in the next election cycle...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It's an appointed position, so he has to do the bidding of the mayor and council, not the electorate. He said that the portion of Riverdale who actually mountain bikes is a super small minority, and by opening up the trail, we expose the city to liability, which the entire city would pay for.

I disagree, believing that much more of Riverdale mountain bikes, and would ride here, than he thinks. What we need is for these quiet people who ride there to make their voices heard. There's a petition that was started a couple of months ago. That's one way, and I hope it will be circulated more. Social media is another, though not very effective. An opinion article, by someone from Riverdale and not from outside of the city, may also be helpful. If the council can be convinced that the risks are small and that the use by Riverdale residents justifies it, then something could happen. It's going to take tact and patience though, not slander and outrage.

Perpetual n00b
    Well, I'm a South Ogden resident so I guess that doesn't do us any good.

It's interesting that the trail has existed for who knows how long and I've never heard of any incidents there. I would think the risk of an accident on the paved bike path is much greater than on the single track. The tight and twisty nature of the trail sets a pretty low natural speed limit. And it's only half a mile long!