Ogden - Recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ogden - Recommendation

Hi !
    We are picking up an RV in Ogden around noon, after that, we want to ride somewhere in Ogden or North of it (we will make our way to Jackson Hole the day after).

Any suggestion for a good 15-20 miles loop or shuttle ride (we also have a pickup) with some good descent ?

Thank s!

mtbr member
    In this heat, try powder mountain. It's about 8000 feet, so a lot cooler. They supposedly have one downhill trail, but I haven't been over to it since it was built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Get dropped off at North Odgen Divide and ride South Skyline to Pineview Res. The optional out-n-back to Lewis Peak is worth it, IMO.

Or, go to Snowbasin and piece together a loop there. Snowbasin trails are way better than PowMow, both quantity and quality. Also more crowded, so there is that.

ETA: The first mile of the South Skyline climb from NOD is stiff. After that it mellows out.

mtbr member
    Very good suggestion RMCDan, thanks a lot !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Get dropped off at North Odgen Divide and ride South Skyline to Pineview Res. The optional out-n-back to Lewis Peak is worth it, IMO.

Or, go to Snowbasin and piece together a loop there. Snowbasin trails are way better than PowMow, both quantity and quality. Also more crowded, so there is that.

ETA: The first mile of the South Skyline climb from NOD is stiff. After that it mellows out.
    Snowbasin trails are better if you are a fan of baby head rocks and moon dust. Not in my "to do list". When is the last time you rode PowMow? They add more trails every year.

South skyline is also way, way better starting from Pineview, dropping down to the N Ogden divide down the gnarly parts, instead of hiking up them.

mtbr member
    Hmm really ?
    TrailForks route suggestion has it from north to south

https://www.trailforks.com/region/og...lon=-111.93960

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I agree with RMCDan on the Skyline ride. it's pretty heinous to hike/push up from North Ogden Divide, it's well worth it once on top.
    Miles of screaming fun downhill to the parking lot at Wind surfer beach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    Snowbasin trails are better if you are a fan of baby head rocks and moon dust. Not in my "to do list". When is the last time you rode PowMow? They add more trails every year.

South skyline is also way, way better starting from Pineview, dropping down to the N Ogden divide down the gnarly parts, instead of hiking up them.
    I have not ridden PowMow in a year or two. I found it kinda flat and boring at the time. Also super buff and very scenic, but not very exciting, especially considering how far I drove to get there. Assuming Trailforks is current there still isn't anything there that looks like a big draw for me. There's a lot more vert available at Snowbasin, and I happen to like bashing rocks.

NOD is almost 1,000 ft higher than Pineview, going S-N that's a lot of ascending with no payoff. Also, most people aren't very into extended brake-dragging down -20% grades. I am, sometimes, but most people aren't. N-S it's over 6 miles of pretty much continuous -9% avg grade ripping descending--yes please. You can also go for a swim when you're done.

But, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    But, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
    The dude abides !

North to South it will !

mtbr member
    There is definitely more vertical at SB, but the new Trail yeah at PM has a fun (But not real long) drop in. But it's so nice to get out of the heat up there.

I like rocks as well, but I prefer the big chunky ones you get a few places going down the steep descent to the Divide than the ones at SB that feel more like washboard.

But I guess that's why it good to have so many trials in the area so everyone can have favorites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Shuttling with a good descent?
    https://www.whisperridgeutah.com/