Ogden Freeride Park- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Ogden Freeride Park

Nice work guys! I'll have to get out and help one of these times (since it is right by my house). XC-guys welcome?

Come On, Take a Freeride / Wind around, soar over jumps, learn new skills at 46-acre bike park opening in October in Ogden

Standard-Examiner staff and Scott SchwebkeCycling Business Sports Construction Outdoors Teens Featured Ogden Utah Weber County
    OGDEN -- Extreme mountain bikers will pedal along winding trails, soar over dirt jumps and learn new skills when the city's first-ever freeride park opens in October.

The park will be built on 46 acres along the East Bench between 1350 South and 9th Street, said Josh Jones, the city's bicycle coordinator.

The city will lease the property for a nominal fee from the Fife Equipment & Investment Company, he said Thursday.

Officials with Fife could not be reached for comment.

Efforts to establish the park are being undertaken by the city and the Ogden chapter of the Wasatch Area Freeride Trails Association.

Freeride is a relatively new discipline of mountain biking, combining different aspects of the sport such as downhill, dirt jumping and big mountain climbs.

Several municipalities -- including Park City and Eagle Mountain in Utah; Eagle, Idaho; Boulder, Colo.; and Seattle -- already have freeride parks, according to a written proposal for the Ogden park provided by Jones.

The park would be an outstanding tourism draw, the proposal says.

"Ogden City is marketing itself as a high-adventure recreation destination, and this type of facility would be of great value not only to local riders and the city's recreation reputation but (also) a draw for travelers who visit Ogden," the document states.

Construction of the first section of the park is scheduled to be completed in October and will extend about a half-mile from the top of 9th Street downhill to Hislop Drive, Jones said.

"It will be a fun, flowy trail with a lot of berm turns and smooth bumps in the trail that will allow you to go up and over," he said.

"There will be tabletop jumps, step ups and step downs built with dirt and rock. The concept of the first phase is that it will be fast and have really good flow."

Costs to build the first phase of the park should be minimal because they city has agreed to donate the use of construction equipment, Jones said.

Joe Waters, an avid mountain biker, said he's looking forward to the park's opening because he hasn't found many places to freeride since moving from Denver to the Ogden area two years ago.

"It would be awesome," he said. "To give that much land to be able to do it is a great idea."

The spot selected for the park is ideal because of its natural terrain, Jones said. "We are not trying to make it (the terrain) smooth, we are trying to make it fun."

The park will include a trails system and skill development area that will be maintained by users and a committee made up of representatives from the city, local bike shops and cyclers.

Trail work and man-made features will be completed by volunteers under the direction of experienced trail builders.

Three separate bowls will eventually be built to focus on mountain biking skills like overcoming obstacles, bike handling and pumping.

Pumping allows riders to accelerate by pumping their handlebars as they go over bumps.

It somewhat reduces the need for continuous pedaling and aids riders in maximizing traction and bike handling.

Other phases of the park will be built as WAFTA secures funding and will accommodate riders of various skill levels, Jones said.

"The whole idea of the park is to provide skill progression," he said.

"It won't be just a place to ride, it will be a place to learn to ride and get better at riding."

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

jump

Sounds like it will be a great addition to Ogden. I am for sure looking forward to it, as with a few other friends too. Just wondering if you have any pics of the progress of the tracks? Keep up the good work!

Fartographer
    No kidding. That kicks ass. Gonna have to get up there and check it out. Thanks for posting!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

less clever than you
    May 2010
    FWIW -
    My company has been working with the City of Ogden to supply equipment for the construction process. Their goal is to have a park patterned after the one in Rock Springs. My guess is that the construction phase is going to take longer than expected as they have only begun to shape the outer tracks at this stage...

Ben-Jammin
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So is this currently rideable? or in the works? ETA?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801
    So is this currently rideable? or in the works? ETA?

Thanks
    How bout you come help dig?

Dig day tomorrow 10/15/10, 9AM. Meet at the top of 9th st in Ogden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Honestly I would be more than happy to come dig. I am riding in the AM though. If you would though post here or let me know another place to keep tabs on when dig days are going on etc I would at least hit one or two.

I just wasn't sure if this was a city only deal with tractors/excavators etc. I saw wafta is involved to some extent.

FWIW, I think you would get a lot better turn out on volunteer labor if there was a solid plan and a decent amount of notice. I assume there has to be a lot of people out there who would love to have this in their "backyard" but have no clue when, where or how legally (think LCC).

I have built a fair share of BMX trails and just when they get sick they're plowed. Same with LCC, IMO. I never put any labor into LCC but it reminded me of why I sorta stopped investing my time into something that can be taken so easily when even though sometimes lame, legal trails are all over for the riding.

Not trying to be a critic cause you are doing way more than I, just passing along that I am interested in getting involved, just hoping for a heads up and sharing my long winded perspective.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd like to make a suggestion...could whoever is running the Odgen Bike park start a twitter account and start tweeting progress and dates that people can volunteer to come help? If not twitter, facebook, or website....some way that those interested can find the info they need to put this in our schedules? I'd love to come help...as would a few of my friends, but we need to know in advance to fit it into our busy lives. I'd suggest twitter as it's so simple to use for everyone...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey everyone, we are having dig days every saturday at the freeride park , I have been in on this project for over 3 and half years, my apologies if i have been unable to get better at putting on dig days , thursday and friday I took off from work to coordinate with the operator on the mini ex to cut the trail and build most of the tables and berms on the first trail in the park, I welcome anyone who wants to come out and dig on saturday at 9 am , if you want to come out bring a shovel or a rake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Crash Test Dummy
    Mar 2005
    You asked, we listened. For everyone who would like to keep up to date with dig days and progress for the Ogden Freeride Park, we have established a Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ogden-...14541255277098

mtbr member
    The Facebook page is a great idea! The park looks like it's coming along nicely and I love the view from the photos. Just curious, is the park going to be free to the public when it's completed or will there be fees associated with it for maintenance, insurance (if applicable), etc?

Crash Test Dummy
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyg55
    The Facebook page is a great idea! The park looks like it's coming along nicely and I love the view from the photos. Just curious, is the park going to be free to the public when it's completed or will there be fees associated with it for maintenance, insurance (if applicable), etc?
    It will be free to use. Maintenance will be done by a volunteer group, which will be part of an organization (and of course there'll be other aspects to that organization such as events, group rides, etc). We're still working on that though, and will let everyone know as soon as we have figured out the best structure, etc ourselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    are you guys going to team up with the ogden bicycle collective at all?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    well i do volunteer down at the collective, i would say yes

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    new photos from digging then riding today on the face book site ogden-bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We took some more pictures tonight and posted them to the facebook page. The first section of trail should be ready to ride at some point Saturday! It is roughly 1/2mi long and includes a whole heap of awesome berms and tables. Come out to the dig on Saturday and bring your bike. We'll be doing a little grooming and a lot of test riding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    dig days planned? is there water up there?

mtbr member
    There isn't any water up there and it is generally bone dry, I try to ride it 2-3 times a week around 6 P.M. and i'd be down to help dig. On a side note, where's everyone at? I've only seen random hikers!

Ride Utah
    Jan 2012
    Hey, any new info on the park? I would love to come and help out on dig days or anytime. Let me know and I'll be there!

Members who have read this thread: 0