Which Ogden area shop?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Which Ogden area shop?

Hello Utah Peoples!

I will be attending WSU this fall and moving to the Ogden area this spring with my wife and two fury kids. As a soon to be poor student/bike junkie and former bike rep I would love to hear recommendations for shops in the area to feed my passions (and face) with a PT position.

I would like to find a shop with a great crew of upbeat , knowledgeable folks that is community focused and evolved in trail advocacy and clubs. Is that asking too much? I had it once before.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oct 2005
    Hi Mr. Chad.

I will be a fellow Wildcat starting summer semester. I too am a bike junkie and soon to be UBI trained mechanic.

There are 3 or 4 possibilities for your PT job. The Bike Shoppe, Bingham's and Skyline Cycle in Ogden. If you don't mind a bit of a commute you could consider Biker's Edge in Kaysville.

All of these shops are good to great and I have supported all of them depending on what I needed at the time.

The Bike Shoppe sponsors the Ogden One cycling club and Bingham's sponsors a club as well but I cannot remember the name (Northshore I think). The clubs seem to be focused on road riding though and I gave that up. Both of these shops have a long history and are heavily involved in the community. The Bike Shoppe generally outperforms Bingham's in all the areas you mentioned in my opinion. This is especially true when it comes to their mechanics.

I don't think that Bikers Edge sponsors a club, but they do have a racing team. They are relatively new in town but they have quickly developed a great reputation. They are very busy and their shop is top notch. They have some of the best talent around as far as knowledge.

Skyline is a brand new shop in North Ogden. This is definitely the most friendly and laid back of all. Their shop is not as flashy as the others and they are not into the racing scene. They do really mellow, all inclusive group rides. The owner of Skyline is a veteran in the business and is a very knowledgable and skilled mechanic. I like the people at Skyline better than any of the others. Being brand new, they do not stock much high end stuff yet.

There you have it. Sorry I cannot give you a clear winner. They are truly all good, just different.

T J

Dec 2006
    TJ,
    Wow, that's great info. Thank you very much!
    The Bikers Edge sounds nice. I've read about the shop in Bicycle Retailer. I'm not sure about the commute if I wanted to pedal to work though.

You'll love UBI. I will be taking summer classes at WSU also.

I'm sure our paths will cross.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Skyline

I work Ogden and live further south in Clinton. I would go to Skyline Cycle anytime. Matt is really good to work with, and has take great care of me. He also works with the neighborhood kids to help with their bikes if they do well in school. He is just an all around good guy. I go there even though I have a Binghams 3 mi from my house.

I go to Binghams on ocassion, but they are overpriced IMO. Welcome to Weber County! You'll love it here.

frog

Mar 2007
    There is a new Kona dealer on 8th and Wall. Owners name is Matt. Great guy, awesome bike tech. Check his shop

Mar 2007
    My bad 8th and Washington. One block east of Wall

Mtn Biker Machinist

One and the same...

Skyline Cycle is the Kona dealer on 8th and Washington. Check it out.

Frog

Dec 2006
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice! It sounds like there's a bit of a unanimous vote for Skyline . I will definitely check in with Matt to see if he needs any help before my move out next month.

Members who have read this thread: 0