Off to the races...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Off to the races...

I have been riding for as long as has been physically possible for me. I have finally made the decision that I want to race. Instead of categorizing myself as a weekend warrior I am now ready to step up into the realm of a racer. I have been looking around, at the local races knowing that I am starting out in the mid to tail end of the season. What are some good beginning races to start out in cross country? I have been reading up on the mid week series that go on both at Snowbasin, and the Soldier Hollow/Sundance races. Does anyone on here ride at any of these events? I have also read up a bit on the ICUP races and am hoping to build myself up to ride in one of their year end races. Also does anyone know any downhill races? As soon as I finish building my bike I would like to race a few downhill races as well. What is your general advice for someone beginning in racing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Relax.

Racing is supposed to be fun. Pick a race that is convient for you logistically show up give it your all and see if you want to do it again. The midweek races are a great way to start. Can't go wrong with an Icup either nothing but good races on great courses in that series. (Except for 5 mile ass). Just give it a shot and see what happens. You making a biug deal out of it by treating it like a life altering decision. Its no different from any other ride. Good Luck.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymanator
    What is your general advice for someone beginning in racing?
    Better hurry if you want to race this year.

Your Best Friend
    Just do it! You should have fun.

While you are at the Icup race, walk around to the different team tents and talk to the people there. Racing for a club can make it a lot more enjoyable. You'll make a ton of friends and have an excellent support group. I won't even tell you which club I am a member of in an effort to make you join. Just hook up with which ever one suits your style and who has the friendliest group. None (I think) of the clubs charge you anything to join, I think they just require that at some point you purchase one of their team kits. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    I won't even tell you which club I am a member of in an effort to make you join.
    But your avatar will. . .

Your Best Friend
    Yeah, but he'd have to be able to recognize...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The weekly races are a good place to start. I've been doing the Snowbasin series this year. The races are cheap and laid back but don't be fooled the competition is still really tough.There are still three races left too.

Better hurry if you want to do an Icup. There is also the Snowbasin 50k if you want a longer race or want to do it on a relay team.

I was intimidated when I started racing but 99% of the people at races are friendly and supportive of beginner riders.

Members who have read this thread: 0