October Trip - Hitting St George/Cedar City- Mtbr.com
    Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006

October Trip - Hitting St George/Cedar City

Howdy Utah - four of us are visiting from the UK in October. We have an itinery roughed out (see below) and info, maps etc mainly from utahmountainbiking (great site )

Whilst we will be self contained, it would be good to hook up with some of you good folk if the plan allows it, particularly if we can benefit from some navigational assistance where finding the way is an issue. Also, any suggestions regarding our trail choice would be appreciated.

We all like the more technical type of riding and will have 5 to 6" travel trailbikes - we anticipate that the higher level stuff will kick our butts but hope to have a second car to allow some shuttling (or is there any commercial shuttling available in October in the Brian Head area?)

Sun 7 Las Vegas to Cedar City and ride C Trail, Red Mt and/or Three Peaks Loops
    Mon 8 Brian Head - Shuttle Blowhard - two runs or add another trail
    Tue 9 Brian Head - Shuttle day - Dark Hollow, Paradise Canyon, Bunker Creek
    Wed 10 Long loop combining Cassidy, Losee, Red Canyon, Thunder Mt
    Thu 11 Shorter ride Casto Canyon, Cassidy and down Losee Canyon - visit Bryce?
    Fri 12 Virgin River Rim - or, more likely, full day off for Bryce/Kodachrome
    Sat 13 Travel to St George + Broken Mesa, Church Rocks (& Prospector/Bluff St Cliffs?)
    Sun 14 Gooseberry Mesa & possibly Windmill
    Mon 15 Hurricane Rim/Goulds/Jem
    Tue 16 Zion Canyon hiking - Overlook, Hidden Canyon, Echo Canyon, Narrows etc
    Wed 17 Little Creek
    Thu 18 Slickrock Swamp, Guacomole and possibly Grafton
    Fri 19 Local option such as Bearclaw Poppy/Green Valley/Stucki/Zen/Barrels
    Sat 20 Travel to Vegas, Lake Mead/Bootleg? - pack up/night out

If the last Arizona trip we did is anything to go by the survivors will probably be shortening the rides on the last couple of days Still, if you don't try for it! Hope to see some of you locals whilst we are there
    Last edited by Tor-y-Foel; 10-02-2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Couple of suggestions...

I'd shuttle everything around Brianhead, particularly Blowhard, but I doubt there are going to be any shuttles running. I'd call ahead and make sure. I prefer the Left Fork of Bunker Creek over the Right Fork. When you're heading down the trail the Left Fork is actually the fork on the right.

I'd ride everything on Gooseberry Mesa twice (both ways) before I'd waste time riding Windmill. Definitely hit North Rim, South Rim, Hidden Canyon and the Yellow Trail.

I recommend that you ride Little Creek with a local/guide or a GPS.

Make sure you ride the Barrel Trail which dumps you out at the beginning of Bearclaw Poppy and then instead of Stucki Springs I'd ride Zen.

I ride with a group of guys here in St. George and we'd be happy to show you around any of the local St.George/Hurricane/Zion trails schedule permitting. PM me if you want to coordinate times and locations.

NMBP
    A few more suggestions. Forget the C trail, it has been destroyed by illiterate ATV riders. Three Peaks should be good, especially if you know where the trails are.

Non shuttle rides on the mountain, Lowder Ponds, counter clockwise, Navajo Lake and the Virgin River Rim trail, Q Loop.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I just rode out in the red canyon area, my suggestion is to do the Cassidy, down lossee, up casto then back Cassidy loop, it wont be as hot as when we did it, but its a heck of a loop so don't be disapointed if you can't or dont want to get Thunder mtn in the same day. Thunder as loop by itself is a shorter one day ride, might include an out n back on Cassidy afterwards to losee or something if you are feeling spunky. Its all pretty amazing riding for sure

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Hey - thanks for the feedback everyone. Shame about C Trail as that looked quite interesting

Be great to hook up with you for a ride Crash - I will be in touch nearer the day.

One thing we have not really considered properly is whether to bring lights for a night ride. That is probably best undertaken in the company of locals that know the trail - that worked very well when we were in Phoenix last fall

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I'm down to ride. Thats one hell of an itinerary you got there. I have Sat, Sun, Mon off to ride. And Fri morning I can show you Zen and the Barrels posisibly. Let me know whats going on and I'll coordinate with Crash. Hope to see you in october.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Many thanks for the invitation cdad - I will contact you during the week before to exchange tel numbers etc - be great to ride with you

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Not long now until we depart - three more days of frantic work, followed by evenings of preparation and packing, and the fun begins

We will probable have less than a full day near St George on Saturday 13th as we will have to clear our hotel in Cedar City and take the shuttle car back to St George airport in the morning. We will kick off with Broken Mesa then see how time is and how much gas is in the tank for something else after. We have ended up in Hurricane as our base for the second week - St George seems to be full up with aging athletes!

The other days in the itinery can be swapped around a little if that makes it easier hook up with others - open to suggestions. I guess we would get the most out of local knowledge at Little Creek and would definitely appreciate some help in hitting the best stuff around St George at the end of the week. We will have lights as well and will be up for a night ride - another option where some local help would be great.

Any suggestions for eating out in Cedar City, St George or Hurricane?

Looking forward to seeing your trails and hope to ride with some of you

Sep 2007
    I rode in the Brian Head/Panguitch area today. Brian Head Sports is not shuttling, Geog's is still open, but only doing limited shuttling on Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek. My best suggestion would be to contact Mark at Mountain Bike Buddies for information and shuttles. You can link onto his web site from utahmountainbiking.com.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Not long now until we depart - three more days of frantic work, followed by evenings of preparation and packing, and the fun begins

We will probable have less than a full day near St George on Saturday 13th as we will have to clear our hotel in Cedar City and take the shuttle car back to St George airport in the morning. We will kick off with Broken Mesa then see how time is and how much gas is in the tank for something else after. We have ended up in Hurricane as our base for the second week - St George seems to be full up with aging athletes!

The other days in the itinery can be swapped around a little if that makes it easier hook up with others - open to suggestions. I guess we would get the most out of local knowledge at Little Creek and would definitely appreciate some help in hitting the best stuff around St George at the end of the week. We will have lights as well and will be up for a night ride - another option where some local help would be great.

Any suggestions for eating out in Cedar City, St George or Hurricane?

Looking forward to seeing your trails and hope to ride with some of you
    I have yet to find a restaurant in the area that I would rave about. However, I am rather particular about eating good food, and my wife is an excellent cook, which is why I also frequent the Clydesdale forum.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the heads up on the shuttling dawgrider - we had kinda figured out that Brian Head would be closed down for that and have arranged to get a small car locally for a few days to cover it - that will mean some extra miles of driving but at least we will be in control of our destiny and not waiting on someone else.

NMBP
    Weather reports are saying possible snow for Cedar on Saturday. More than likely for Brianhead area.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Weather reports are saying possible snow for Cedar on Saturday. More than likely for Brianhead area.
    Thanks ctd. I picked up on that last night - although today the foecast looks a little more benign. As we are travelling from Vegas through St George on Sunday we are considering riding at St George that day instead - we currently look to be in the clear after that.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Getting excited now - bikes packed away, just got to throw a few things in a bag and off to bed for an earlyish night - crack of dawn departure tomorrow

The rain/snow threatened for Sunday seems to have receded a bit but we may do our first ride in St George Sunday as it will probably be warmer and sunnier - and not so far to the trail once we have picked up our car at th airport mid morning.

Members who have read this thread: 0