October camping in MOAB?- Mtbr.com
    dog's best friend
    May 2004

October camping in MOAB?

Planning a trip for the last week of October before the festival. Any suggestions for Camping? Private campground or BLM or State? How busy is Moab that time of year? We were thinking of something in the Sand Flats Rd area so that we could ride to town yet have some quiet time too.

mtbr member

Camping

Theres a nice little campground north of town called The Arches thats equiped with cabins if you want one, I called them toolsheds when we stayed there but they ranged from simple rooms with beds to a 2 story job with everything.

Custom User Title

sorry to get slightly off topic here, but...

this thread reminded me of our November 2004 camping at Gooseberry Mesa
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Damn! I hope you had some Hot Pockets.

I was thinking of asking the same question here shortly from Pittsburgh, PA. Some friends and I are going to be coming out the first 2nd week in Oct. and leaving on the 15th. I was wondering what the normal weather conditions were. Rain, sun, warm, cold, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and we would be more than happy to get together with some folks if anyone is interested.
    .....but good luck with that.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MACK1
    naaa, we are Canadian. no problems.

our Vegas based guides on the otherhand.....

mtbr member

No Problem

I was thinking of asking the same question here shortly from Pittsburgh, PA. Some friends and I are going to be coming out the first 2nd week in Oct. and leaving on the 15th. I was wondering what the normal weather conditions were. Rain, sun, warm, cold, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and we would be more than happy to get together with some folks if anyone is interested.
    If you get bad weather in Moab just keep moving South; St George has a better chance of good weather and Sedona is even better and they also have great trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

October

"I was wondering what the normal weather conditions were. Rain, sun, warm, cold, etc."

You covered everything but snow and wind...

Anything is possible. 30->90 degrees. It has snowed on the 24 Hours of Moab more than once.

But normally it should be low-mid 70's and sunny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moonflower Canyon

Moonflower Canyon or Kings Bottom on Kane Creek Road are awesome. Both have protection from the wind which can be a problem up on Sand Flats. Both are only four miles from town, and are an easier ride than Sand Flats (no big climb). I dislike Sand Flats because the noise is really bad. The vehicle noise echos off the rock around there.

Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    Planning a trip for the last week of October before the festival. Any suggestions for Camping? Private campground or BLM or State? How busy is Moab that time of year? We were thinking of something in the Sand Flats Rd area so that we could ride to town yet have some quiet time too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Wow, thanks for the help guys. It's getting down to the wire and I can't help but keep checking these damn forums.

....oh and whoops, I think I may have mislead you on my definintion of "camping" this time around. Although I like my fair share of the back country, we are going to be "borrowing" an RV for this particular trip which should be a blast for the 2k mile trek each way. Regardless, all the info is handy.
    .....but good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Scheduled to go to Gooseberry on 11/3-11/5

Please tell me that snow hit at the end of the month!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

dog's best friend
    May 2004

thanks all...

good beta. The impression I'm getting is to be prepared for anything. So I'll bring the down jacket and the bathing suit and try not to wear them at the same time!

Honkinunit, I'll heed your advice and check out the sites you suggested. I noticed that the Sand Flats area was 500 ft higher than MOAB so there is climbing for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moonflower/Kings Bottom

I guess I should have clarified that these are tent-only campgrounds.....

They are definitely the public land campgrounds with the most bike friendly access to Moab. There are commercial campgrounds that are closer, but then you have to deal with RVs/generators/traffic noise.

The climb up to Slickrock from town is a nice little grind. It makes it kind of a pain to make a coffee run on your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    good beta. The impression I'm getting is to be prepared for anything. So I'll bring the down jacket and the bathing suit and try not to wear them at the same time!

Honkinunit, I'll heed your advice and check out the sites you suggested. I noticed that the Sand Flats area was 500 ft higher than MOAB so there is climbing for sure.