Not to take anything away from the Humdinger- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 54 of 54
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V-Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    131

    Not to take anything away from the Humdinger

    But the Utah DH Race Series is having a Super "Duper" D at Brian Head down the Dark Hollow Trail. Should make for some really fun racing, down a pretty epic trail. For more info and to register hit up the Go-Ride site.

  2. #2
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Dub
    But the Utah DH Race Series is having a Super "Duper" D at Brian Head down the Dark Hollow Trail. Should make for some really fun racing, down a pretty epic trail. For more info and to register hit up the Go-Ride site.
    It's really quite impossible to take anything away from something already sitting at rock bottom.

    I wish I had the funds to participate in this event. Ron really pulled off an Ace In The Hole with this race. That course IMO is a truer version of my image of a Super D than most anything we've seen in a long time-save for all the stuff going on out of state. One of those courses that leaves you wondering if you should sacrifice travel, comfort and stability vs. speed, agility and a bike/wheel that might not make it to the finish line.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Yes yes, should be right up there with the Ho-Down Super D... can't wait.


    I have a license but any idea why Ron is limiting it to annual USAC license-holders? I know of at least five riders who would do the race but won't pony up for the license just for a single race. Which is a whole other can of worms, but whatever. Kind of a bummer, hope he's able to fill out the 60-rider limit.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Yes yes, should be right up there with the Ho-Down Super D... can't wait.


    I have a license but any idea why Ron is limiting it to annual USAC license-holders? I know of at least five riders who would do the race but won't pony up for the license just for a single race. Which is a whole other can of worms, but whatever. Kind of a bummer, hope he's able to fill out the 60-rider limit.

    I wondered that too. I thought maybe it was so those who'd raced the whole series (already holding licences I presume) would have the best chance of getting in.

    Sounds like a fun race though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    Due to the fact that there will be no cat 3 racers allowed to race, all other catagories require a year licence, no one day licences are sold for cat 2,1 and pro (well at least cat 1 and pro). Only a 60 racer permit was given for the first year on a sort of probationary basis. If all goes well we should be able to have more racers enter next year. I think 60 will fill up for sure. Even though it's not really 'the gnar' it's tech and still pretty remote in the middle and could be difficult to access an injured rider. Perhaps riders that have raced before and are experienced, like current licence holders, should fill those 60 spots. I'm not the promoter, i'm just helping out and these are just my thoughts, not necessarily the words of Ron. We'll see how it goes and maybe things will change for next year.

    I just got back fom scouting out the course. We cut back a bunch of bushes to improve visibility around blind corners and moved a bunch of logs that were poking out ready to grab a pedal or an ankle. It's really loose and dry right now. It was noticeably rougher than the last time i rode it. The rocks have grown up from heavy rains a couple of years ago apparently.

    I do know that after the first 3 minute flat rolling sprint at 11,000' i was hella squirelly dropping into the switchbacks of bouldery rowdieness that mark the beginning of the official Dark Hollow trail! It's gonna be interesting come race day!

    I did a non stop run in 21 minutes. That's from the top of the climb out of the parking lot to the end of the singletrack where it hits the dirt road. Its tough enough at 11,000' that we figured starting in the parking lot would be no fun for anyone. The course is 5.3 miles and drops 2,200', to 8,800' There's roughly 80' of climbing

    Times will probably be 20-30 minutes.

    Keeping air in the tires will probably be the biggest challenge. I'd recommend a big tough tire :

    Maxxis Minion 2.5 EXO (850g)
    Schwalbe FR Big Betty or Muddy Mary 2.3 (huge 2.3's) (890g)
    Kenda Telonix 2.4 Iron Cap (1000g)

    Maybe even a DH tire if you're hard on tires but it would probably be overkill. The lil rollers and stream crossings near the end hurt at race pace

    I ran a Minion 2.3 (tiny-700g) on the rear and got away with it for 3 runs but ripped the sidewall riding the resort and now i'm paranoid!

    Good luck everyone, see you there!

    Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Sweet thanks for the beta Kris. And thanks for the trailwork!

    I think the Cat 1/2/Pro limitation is great - it's just the no single-day license for Cat 2's that I know is limiting rider participation. At least in my circle of riding buddies, I know at least 5 people who would've raced it if not for that hurdle. Hopefully it fills out...

    And super stoked the start is at the top of the first hill... that climb would crush you at 11k.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,330
    This being the first year and a limit of 60 riders is part of reasoning for a full year license requirement. Insurance is also an issue with the 1 day license. Ron also wanted to make sure that those that had done the other Super-D races (for the points series) would not be closed out on this race.

    Next year, if we can get another permit, we are hoping to have a special weekend event just for the Dark Hollow Super-D race. Hopefully, the permit will be for a much larger number of riders and the 1 day license won't be a problem.

    I will say this. I've been racing gravity events for over 12 years and can't even begin to remember all the races I've done. However, this event is the one I've been most excited to do in all that time. Don't let $60 stand in the way of being a part of this event! Do whatever you have to do: Camp, Carpool, Give Blood, and sell your Fixie (you should do this anyway), but don't miss out on this event. It may be a onetime only chance.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

  8. #8
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    So besides Krispy, Joss DaWhale and Scooter @GoGo's-Ride.com, who's racing this?

    The Summit (not to be confused with Summit the MTBR character) website 'View All Entries' feature only shows the first 10 Entries on my personal computation device. Of those 10, 8 are registered for the Sleepy Hollow Pants Party. Since I was able to scrounge $120 from behind my couch and various cars ashtrays over a weeks time in Smiths parking lot I was able to pay the $60 USA Cycling fine. Excuse me, fee...to renew my handicapped CAT 1 pre-40 year old virgin license and the additional $60 for the opportunity to ruin another $140 in tires and brake pads.

    I've been taking a look at my competition, or what Summit will allow me access to, and someone's looking pretty fast given their accomplishments this past year. I want to say that I'm racing for Third, given that this is the last year I'll be racing against the red-headed mafia that is Krispy McKrispenstein of the Go-Go's.com racing-Hey we got the beat! Everybody get on your feet! But having been 'training' with him the past couple of weeks I've learned a couple of things that should work to my advantage at possibly acquiring a second place plastic medal with a child's drawing on it.

    Rather than giving away all of the knowledge I've learned, I will say that although he has the leg strength to push a 42 tooth ring up Puke Hill and continue on like he's headed to 7-11 for a 3 day old Smokie Big Bite, he lacks the arm strength to secure the pinch bolts on his non-drive side crank arm. You mtbr frequenters may recall the 2010 tragedity on Glenn Wild earlier this year where a cyclist lost his crank arm and then subsequently every other bolt on his bike whilst portaging it over that one small, rounded rock down low in the sandy section and his friend ended up in the hospital for trying to clean it? Well, Krispy was the one who worked on his bike and could only generate enough tork to barely spin the bolts through the grease he used on the tips.

    I figure that despite his fancy tire set up that after a practice run or two it's only a matter of time before his crank arm falls off on that rough course.

    Here is your reward in advance.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    There will be quite a few DH racers who will be racing too. I keep telling people to get signed up quick but they are downhillers afterall. They're, like, in whistler and will sign up when they have a chance to get to a computer.

    In terms of the largest, most presigious class, 30+cat 1 i'm mot really sure who i'll be up against, there could allways be a wildcard local who lives in st george and rides 5 days a week from st george to virgin and rides grafton mesa as a loop, and has never raced before but dark hollow is his fave so he has to try racing just once.

    But then again, that would mean he's never raced me before either....bahaha.

    I'm going for Bucky the 29er pro racing in jeans on a borrowed c dale judge to put down the fastest time of the day with an 18:42. I mean, he finished like 38th at downieville...

    Krispy the "i am going to race the megavalanche someday" wanna be super d pro.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    In terms of the largest, most presigious class, 30+cat 1...
    Oh right... the class in which I was the only competitor at Sundance this year! Sweeet. And I believe there were a whopping 0 at Wolf. At least if I even bother showing up to BHead I'm guaranteed the series win! It baffles me that Stupid D isn't more popular. I guess it's too easy for the XCers and too much pedaling for the DHers.

    Oh yeah - stoked to finally get to race Krispy.

  11. #11
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    I'm not affraid of the dumbhillers as they have a poor showing on the Humdinger and it's various training loops. Once they get past the 4 minute mark and the 10th pedal rotation it's all over for them.
    Like yourself there are always those uber fit blood dopers who have nothing better to do than to ride their bikes all day long . But my first plan to register CAT 1 and have everyone else sandbag into CAT 2 already failed. And I can't re-register under any of my alias's as a CAT 6, adding to that I really don't want to grow another mustache to hide my identity from Ron.
    Apparently this is a bigger deal than the local Super U's (U-for Uphill) for us post-twenty something types.

  12. #12
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Oh right... the class in which I was the only competitor at Sundance this year! Sweeet. And I believe there were a whopping 0 at Wolf. At least if I even bother showing up to BHead I'm guaranteed the series win! It baffles me that Stupid D isn't more popular. I guess it's too easy for the XCers and too much pedaling for the DHers.

    Oh yeah - stoked to finally get to race Krispy.
    Used to be that you could enter the Men's 30-39 CAT 1/Expert and win as no one else would show up to race you. All the fast guys were too cheap to upgrade their licenses.

    So Mr. Summit, you wouldn't have happened to race some fancy pants Trail Bike race at Wolf Creek earlier this year and post up a time of 4:59, losing only to the lone pro?

    Someone within the elite 30-39 CAT 1 Men's class this year is posting some screaming times. Krispy should be worried and seriously consider running those 300 gram 1.9" Kenda's I gave him at Ground Hog Day.

    Could be the race for the rest of us gapers is going to be for the coveted Third place.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Used to be that you could enter the Men's 30-39 CAT 1/Expert and win as no one else would show up to race you. All the fast guys were too cheap to upgrade their licenses.
    That is exactly what happened to me @ Sundance...

    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    So Mr. Summit, you wouldn't have happened to race some fancy pants Trail Bike race at Wolf Creek earlier this year and post up a time of 4:59, losing only to the lone pro?
    Negatron, I am only average fast, not insane-o. And unfortunately I didn't even make it to Wolf this year. I did win the Cat 1 30something class at Moab last year, but that's just cuz all the fast guys bumped to to Open/Pro and they pretty much all smoked me. The large Durango contingent was just crazy fast. I REALLY hope those don't show up at BHead.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    Well then, it appears there is allready a dark horse signed up. Remeniscent of the Nomad Pirate, who finished 1 sec behind me at DV with bar ends.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  15. #15
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    That is exactly what happened to me @ Sundance...
    Negatron, I am only average fast, not insane-o. And unfortunately I didn't even make it to Wolf this year. I did win the Cat 1 30something class at Moab last year, but that's just cuz all the fast guys bumped to to Open/Pro and they pretty much all smoked me. The large Durango contingent was just crazy fast. I REALLY hope those don't show up at BHead.
    Well, there is someone in our elite class of pre-geriatrics who is posting up some seriously quick Super D/Trail Bike times this year-giving the Pros a run for their money.

    I don't think this is going to be an easy win for anyone in the coveted 30-39 division save for a trail littered with fast guys walking their bikes down due to flats and Krispy with his missing crankarm/stem face plate/handlebars and saddle that fell off.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Apparently this is a bigger deal than the local Super U's (U-for Uphill) for us post-twenty something types.
    We dubbed the Nationals course this year the SuperClimb. Super U is pretty good nomenclature as well. Should we take a vote?

  17. #17
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Well then, it appears there is allready a dark horse signed up. Remeniscent of the Nomad Pirate, who finished 1 sec behind me at DV with bar ends.
    Fixed it for you;:

    Remeniscent of the Nomad Pirate, who finished 1 sec behind me at DV with bar ends, coil shock, 2.5" UST tires, and a DH wheelset.

    Man, I was glad when his race age turned 40.

    I still want to see him wrestle a bear...or Silver Fox.

  18. #18
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    We dubbed the Nationals course this year the SuperClimb. Super U is pretty good nomenclature as well. Should we take a vote?
    I was done with Super U racing after Wolf Creek's new 'trail' they used last year. I had no one to race against so I just sat down and pedalled up that dirt road dubbed the 'trail' and heckled all the 29'er hard tail guys sprinting up it and passing me.

    This Dark Hollow event is going to be sweet. Regardless of any personal outcome. And remember, the Humdinger next month. Krispy and I are using it and another route as training for this event. Actually I just follow back a ways and choke on dust, but still it's fun to write about it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    This shall mark the beginning of a new era of Super D (formely known as Super Don't) in Utah. I'm hell bent on finding 2 more venues to hold good events. I think a 3 race series is sufficient. If we could just race upper and lower DV in a grand 20 minute race...will never happen though. Moab should be in, but not so late in the year that Soldier Summit closes due to a snowstorm. The Canyons could be epic.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    This shall mark the beginning of a new era of Super D (formely known as Super Don't) in Utah. I'm hell bent on finding 2 more venues to hold good events. I think a 3 race series is sufficient. If we could just race upper and lower DV in a grand 20 minute race...will never happen though. Moab should be in, but not so late in the year that Soldier Summit closes due to a snowstorm. The Canyons could be epic.
    I love it. Let's make it happen.

    Also, it'd be sickter to start an enduro race (maybe as a one-off as part of the new REAL Super D series) in Utah a la the Ely race: take your time pedaling to the top and then run a few timed downhillish sections. Sometime in the fall.

  21. #21
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    This shall mark the beginning of a new era of Super D (formely known as Super Don't) in Utah. I'm hell bent on finding 2 more venues to hold good events. I think a 3 race series is sufficient. If we could just race upper and lower DV in a grand 20 minute race...will never happen though. Moab should be in, but not so late in the year that Soldier Summit closes due to a snowstorm. The Canyons could be epic.
    As you know, my motely group of Larry's have a few bags o' tricks up our sleeve's, both within the Wasatch and up in the Uinta's. I'm guessing the property owner's of the Unita's stuff would be more than happy for some extra income-and now that we've figured out how to shuttle it, it would be a bonus. Bonus I say!

    We have the trails, it's just a matter of being creative and spending 5 minutes with a highlighter and trail map and then refiguring shiz out when you find out a portion of trail is gone to put in another mega-lodge. It seems like that so long as you're not a total sh!tshow like old Boris and his Park City endurance events, most of the resorts are fairly open to race ideas.

    Another thing I'd love to see, would be a two day Stupid D down at Brian Head. One day on Dark Hollow, the other down Bunker Creek. You could either end it at the end of the single track by the dead cow carcass or add some suffering with some dirt road hillbilly Deliverance action.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Krispy and I are using it and another route as training for this event. Actually I just follow back a ways and choke on dust, but still it's fun to write about it.
    Yeah I need to join you guys for the muzzledangler for sure... stuck at OR events this week but maybe next.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    There is a high likelyhood of The Legend Of Dark Hollow being a stand alone event next year... perhaps Timberline one day and Dark Hollow day 2. One course kinda needs to be on the resort so they can manage to have 2 courses without a 20 person crew. I want to do a motocross format for scoring with day 2 Dark Hollow being the tie breaker.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I want to do a motocross format for scoring with day 2 Dark Hollow being the tie breaker.
    How does moto format work? I didn't know moto had a scoring format other than who crosses the line first.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    Motocross has a 2 moto format, and the 2nd moto is the tie breaker, So if rider A gets 1st in the 1st moto and 2nd in the 2nd moto (1-2)... and rider B goes 2-1 rider B wins.

    Instead of 2 motos we would have 2 races with Dark Hollow being the tie breaker since i feel it would be the more epic and more important race of the 2.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V-Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    131
    Year license requirement has just been REMOVED. Tell your friends, tell your dog, alert the media! Just please come race this thing. It will be an awesome event. It is strongly recommended you have some good insurance though, because the 1 day USAC license doesn't provide much coverage.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Also, it'd be sickter to start an enduro race (maybe as a one-off as part of the new REAL Super D series) in Utah a la the Ely race: take your time pedaling to the top and then run a few timed downhillish sections. Sometime in the fall.
    I think there's some great potential for this. We could get two or three races that are enduro type events like the Fears Tears and Beers race in Ely and a couple longer Super D courses like Dark Hollow and the Humdinger and make a series of it.

    Ely is closer to SLC than Moab and about the same as Brianhead. Just sayin'.

    Oh, btw, I'll be in SLC area this weekend and may have my bike. Is anyone up for showing the out-of-towner the Humdinger course on Friday evening or Saturday morning early?
    Last edited by KRob; 08-09-2010 at 10:08 AM.

  28. #28
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Dub
    Year license requirement has just been REMOVED. Tell your friends, tell your dog, alert the media! Just please come race this thing. It will be an awesome event. It is strongly recommended you have some good insurance though, because the 1 day USAC license doesn't provide much coverage.
    I'm guessing, wait I know this for a fact, that USA Cycling doesn't give refunds.

    I'm hoping at least for those of us who threw down to make this happen that the requirement to race CAT 1 or PRO still requires a $60 donation to USA Cycling to support our beloved roadie teams?

  29. #29
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I'm guessing, wait I know this for a fact, that USA Cycling doesn't give refunds.

    I'm hoping at least for those of us who threw down to make this happen that the requirement to race CAT 1 or PRO still requires a $60 donation to USA Cycling to support our beloved roadie teams?

    If it's anything like the road racing rules, you can only race beginner (Cat 4) with a one-day license.

    So all of a sudden the Cat 4 category is going to be the sandbaggingest junk show in the Multiverse!

    And if it's not anything like the road racing rules, then who knows.

    JMH

  30. #30
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    If it's anything like the road racing rules, you can only race beginner (Cat 4) with a one-day license.

    So all of a sudden the Cat 4 category is going to be the sandbaggingest junk show in the Multiverse!

    And if it's not anything like the road racing rules, then who knows.

    JMH
    My fingers are crossed.

    BTW, my poor showing this weekend was only to 'conserve energy' and 'not get hurt' before this big race. And that will be my story until I come up with a better excuse.

    Third Place is where it's at.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    If it's anything like the road racing rules, you can only race beginner (Cat 4) with a one-day license.

    So all of a sudden the Cat 4 category is going to be the sandbaggingest junk show in the Multiverse!

    And if it's not anything like the road racing rules, then who knows.

    JMH

    You can race Cat 2 with a one-day license. Which means I will probably get obliterated by Cat 2 times while racing in Cat 1. At least I'll have a better shot at a shiny plastic medal though!'

    P.S. Tried to go to pre-ride BH this weekend, but got shut down due to monsoon storms. Then I broke my derailleur. Which means my training consisted of golf and beer this weekend. Which means next weekend is gonna HURT.

  32. #32
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You can race Cat 2 with a one-day license. Which means I will probably get obliterated by Cat 2 times while racing in Cat 1. At least I'll have a better shot at a shiny plastic medal though!'

    P.S. Tried to go to pre-ride BH this weekend, but got shut down due to monsoon storms. Then I broke my derailleur. Which means my training consisted of golf and beer this weekend. Which means next weekend is gonna HURT.
    Like I mentioned earlier, my 'tactic' completely went awry with what I count as a whopping four CAT 1's in our age group. This is up from 1-myself, in the days of yore, aka The Salad Days.

    It can get pretty rough in the CAT 2's and seeing as how there are (I'm assuming) no CAT 3's allowed still, the sandbagging will go both ways. I can only imagine what's going to play out there with the 2's and will be glad I only have to ride out Krispy's lost crankarm to secure another plastic medal.

    Training is going really well. I tied my bike to back of my truck and drove it around the desert on Saturday for 30 minutes to see just how much abuse it can take. I then threw rocks at my helmet and goggles to get an idea of how many strikes it can take before I should seek medical attention.

    How many licks does it take to get to the center?


  33. #33
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Might be a glitch on the Summit website's 'view all entries' link or my Commador 64 needs another oil change. I have an email confirmation of my entry from a week ago but neither my name, nor any of my aliases are showing.
    No need to bring up the 2010 Downieville online registration fiasco, whoops just did.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    So are all the Humdinger wannabe's going to be down at BH this weekend? I get it now. It's a conspiracy to keep the home field advantage isn't it? You all are afraid if I get a chance to ride the HD course once I'll get it memorized with my trap like brain thing-a-mabob and beat you all by the shear power of my awesomeness.

    If I can figure out how to get my bike in to Provo with me... I might be able to break away from my niece's graduation festivities long enough to do a training run on the HD course... if anyone is willing to risk banishment from the HD council and divulge the secrets of said course.

    Or, if not, I could just buy a lift ticket for Deer Valley. (Which I may do anyway.)

  35. #35
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    So are all the Humdinger wannabe's going to be down at BH this weekend? I get it now. It's a conspiracy to keep the home field advantage isn't it? You all are afraid if I get a chance to ride the HD course once I'll get it memorized with my trap like brain thing-a-mabob and beat you all by the shear power of my awesomeness.

    If I can figure out how to get my bike in to Provo with me... I might be able to break away from my niece's graduation festivities long enough to do a training run on the HD course... if anyone is willing to risk banishment from the HD council and divulge the secrets of said course.

    Or, if not, I could just buy a lift ticket for Deer Valley. (Which I may do anyway.)
    I should be, barring any freak accidents. $120 for that thing, geez. Should have waited for the Dark Hollow Santa Claus before doing an early register.
    Anyhoo...enough of that whining pants.
    Just need to finalize my training for such a stellar event. Tonight I'm taking the bike out to the firing range to put a couple of .50 caliper rounds through it then put a watermelon in my helmet and drop it onto I-15 at rush hour. Both are about the closest I can get to recreating what it must feel like to go over the bars at race speed on this section or the tighty whitey one afterwards:




    We'll see if those magic orange bars survive another run or two.

  36. #36
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    I had my attorney-Mr. Pickles-go over the 2010 Race Rules and he did not find anything barring a competitor from swapping bikes midrace. Granted, to save on costs he reviewed the document while he was preparing his Lean Cuisine and after he had 8 shots of Glenlivet 'to take the edge off the work day' (he moonlights as a cocktail waitress in order to pay off student loans).

    So assuming his intrepation of the rules are correct, I'd like to introduce my race machines for the 16th Annual Dark Hollow Baha 100.

    First up I have my special Rock Roller Specialized (these are only available in Greenland due to patent law infringements). With a few tweaks and 16 hours behind a welding torch and ballpeen hammer, I've got a bike with an integrated bashguard coupled under an 18" BB and special 192mm left crank arm and a 159mm right crank arm. Reason for this is that all of the rocky corners are right handers and this will allow me to continue pedalling.

    You'll also notice my race kit. I haven't been too happy with the protective qualities of plastic and found throughout much of history that thick wool and a fancy hat offer better protection AND it just looks more professional. The orange skate lid was there to let others try the bike out and only offered a margin of safety.



    For the high speed smoother sections I'll be using this bike. You'll notice the first generation Rock Roller mod which I felt didn't offer adequate branch clearance. The fairing is made of an old Vietnam era helicopter windshield and can take an RPG hit without failure. Along with the bike switch I will also be doing a quick change into a festive skin suit. The joystick my test pilot is grasping has no function on the bike but will allow us to run a complete TV/X-Box set up at a later date. Rather than trying to add it later, we felt it necessary to implement it into the initial design.



    So what's everyone else running?

  37. #37
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    So are all the Humdinger wannabe's going to be down at BH this weekend? I get it now. It's a conspiracy to keep the home field advantage isn't it? You all are afraid if I get a chance to ride the HD course once I'll get it memorized with my trap like brain thing-a-mabob and beat you all by the shear power of my awesomeness.

    If I can figure out how to get my bike in to Provo with me... I might be able to break away from my niece's graduation festivities long enough to do a training run on the HD course... if anyone is willing to risk banishment from the HD council and divulge the secrets of said course.

    Or, if not, I could just buy a lift ticket for Deer Valley. (Which I may do anyway.)
    K-Rob - I will be around and would be glad to do a lap or two with you.

    JMH

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    K-Rob - I will be around and would be glad to do a lap or two with you.

    JMH
    Thanks for the offer J. Looks like I'm out for this weekend, though I still hope to get in there sometime this summer/fall with the bike and a kitchen pass.

  39. #39
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Thanks for the offer J. Looks like I'm out for this weekend, though I still hope to get in there sometime this summer/fall with the bike and a kitchen pass.
    JMH is such a good ambassador for our spjort. Be certain to hit him up for a complimentary tire wash mid ride .

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    95
    If you thought you had any type of chance. i have been sharpening my reflexes lately so that i can take 194 degree switchback at 8.2*10^6 MPH. Tech sections are so simple when you have around 13" of cushy suspensionness. when i have to go up hill, i just drink a soy milk (the real energy drink that gives you wings).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not to take anything away from the Humdinger-zorb.jpg  


  41. #41
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownni
    If you thought you had any type of chance. i have been sharpening my reflexes lately so that i can take 194 degree switchback at 8.2*10^6 MPH. Tech sections are so simple when you have around 13" of cushy suspensionness. when i have to go up hill, i just drink a soy milk (the real energy drink that gives you wings).
    Meh, that switchback speed is decent if you're attempting a no handed stoppie. I would give it another shot while keeping your head thrown back to see if you can increase your bowlmental speed up to 8.6~666SLAYER.8 mph.

    I do have to give mad props for the new bike design. Is that a one off custom job? I'm assuming you're running the entire Orb converted to tubeless so as to run lower psi for increased traction/decreased deflectivity? That thing could be a game changer. Lastly, how would you feel if someone were to say...steal it from you for half a day and then show up at the start line tucked inside only to have it left for you to pick up at the bottom of Parawan Canyon 21:43 minutes later? Just asking.

    Forget winning, I just want to get a clean run in and not have to try and fix a flat on the side of a 12" wide rocky ditch while fatty rams his 34" wide bars into my solar plexis.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    95
    Clearly it is one off! I had to draw each of all of those rainbow colored tensiolastiamping bits by hand secretly in the neighbors meth lab (I had to have good ventilation so as not to die from the noxious fumes let off by the secret sauce formula that I used to make them) over the course of .78732 hours which is 47 minutes and 14.352 seconds precisely in order to have the perfect crystal structure for my intended use. After that it was smooth sailing attaching each one with my Elmer's glue. For the pressure - that is for me to know and you never to find out. Additionally, although it seems like I would want to increase my switchback speed to SLAYER speed, that would cause me to loose my WHOOSH factor (my reynolds number would exceed 500,000) and that would be miserable because the Velociraptors would soon be chasing me and no amount of chocolate soy milk would allow me to escape from them.
    I had a friend once loose his WHOOSH factor and it was bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad news. The Velociraptors can sense that kind of Turbulence very keenly.
    When you run this type of high performance machine you always have to vigilant.
    Finally, if someone could manage a spectacular feat of thievery and cunningness to that extent, I would probably pull out my Mandolin and play a celebratory song as well as mark the day in my calendar to celebrate later on.

    EDIT: oh and good luck avoiding Fatty's bars.

  43. #43
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    I for one have no problem with taking away from the Humdinger. I think the hype started too soon, I am more interested in patenting useless bike accessories now. Ask me about a refreshing mid-ride tire wash.

    JMH

  44. #44
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I for one have no problem with taking away from the Humdinger. I think the hype started too soon, I am more interested in patenting useless bike accessories now. Ask me about a refreshing mid-ride tire wash.

    JMH
    Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than a clean tire.
    If I were wealthy enough I'd employ you to wash everyone's tires 10 ft before the finish of the Dark Hollow race. Imagine how happy everyone would be finishing such a stellar event with sparkling clean tires .

  45. #45
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    I just found out the online registration for this event is closed. Chumley was sitting here frantically trying to register after welding up some mods to his little sisters bike, but since he was trying to remove a hive of bees from his bedroom closet by hand yesterday his fingers all are swollen and fat so he was having some serious issues. I tried to lend a thin fingered hand but my secretarial skills weren't fast enough to get him registered in the PRO++ class. Probably would have helped if he would have remembered how to spell his complete name. Oh well.

    So who made registration for the Dark Hollow Stupid D on Sunday????

    Also, I noticed on the flyer that Ron didn't mention the award for the fastest time posted on Sunday. Sure beats a pair of XS fingerless Cannondale XC gloves:

    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 08-12-2010 at 02:52 PM.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V-Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    131
    They are now allowing on site registration. Tell Chumley to put down the welding mask



    Pack up the car



    and get his chubby fingers down to Brian Head!

  47. #47
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Is there a count of how many of the 60 slots are still available as opposed to how many slots were filled?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V-Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    131
    Using the inverse operations theory, and multiplying the number of registered riders by πrē, subtract from the 60 rider limit, and allow for user error, there are . . . No idea actually.

  49. #49
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Dub
    Using the inverse operations theory, and multiplying the number of registered riders by πrē, subtract from the 60 rider limit, and allow for user error, there are . . . No idea actually.
    Sounds like some or lots, or maybe none or zero. Whomever waits until the last minute to buy the hot X-Mas gift (or X-Fest gift for all us non-Catholics) better drive fjast to get rjegistered!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    I just had the worst mechanical epic failure ride on the Crest this morning since my quintuple-flat hardtail ride down the Downieville downhill course 9 years ago. The trail is now the tackiest its been all season due to being drenched in my tears.


    Which means I should be golden for sleepy hollow!

  51. #51
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I just had the worst mechanical epic failure ride on the Crest this morning since my quintuple-flat hardtail ride down the Downieville downhill course 9 years ago. The trail is now the tackiest its been all season due to being drenched in my tears.


    Which means I should be golden for sleepy hollow!
    Flats are the new tubeless. Good luck.

    BTW: Just picked up my new race bike. Due to the economy and pending doping litigation, I got this thing for a screaming good deal. Came with a bonus set of new bar ends and a beginners blood infusion kit.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 08-13-2010 at 08:01 AM.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Great racing this weekend everyone! Such a ridiculously fun course and crew to ride and race with. Scott Johnson took the overall pro win, and Krispy demolished the amateur field. But mostly just perfect weather, epic trails, and good dirty fun. The kind of weekend that just gets you sooo stoked on mountain biking all over again.

  53. #53
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Great racing this weekend everyone! Such a ridiculously fun course and crew to ride and race with. Scott Johnson took the overall pro win, and Krispy demolished the amateur field. But mostly just perfect weather, epic trails, and good dirty fun. The kind of weekend that just gets you sooo stoked on mountain biking all over again.
    Oh now, don't get all modest on us. I watched you through one of the most technical sections of the course and you were flowing and hauling the mail. Give yourself some props...and you better show up to the Humdinger and give Krispy a run for his money.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Heh, good to re-meet you again slcrmr. Thanks for the props, it felt really good to finally put a race run together that I felt good about - more or less - from start to finish. I'm all over the Humdinger, guess I need to head up there and practice!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.