Northern Utah trails.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Northern Utah trails.

Howdy all. I recently got a new bike and I am getting back into mountain biking. Thus summer I am going to be living in the tremonton area. I was curious what everyone recommended as far as biking. I am out of shape and my skills aren't great So mostly I need to get back in shape.

That being said I don't want to just ride along Canal banks all summer. Just curious if anyone had any decent recomendations?
    What is the trail like to the old Juniper tree in Logan canyon?
    What about the Tonys Grove/White pine like area.
    Any others?

I want some fun single/double track. I'm not scared of a little difficulty. I just don't want to pedal uphill all day. Also I will more than likely be riding solo so I want to stick to areas that if I got hurt or had a bike failure I wouldn't be completely stranded. (Family will know exactly where I'm going just incase)

If farming gives me some free time I am also hoping to take a weekend and go down south but that is just a dream right now. For now I would like to keep my drive within 75 miles of tremonton/Logan area. Closer the better.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    I just don't want to pedal uphill all day.
    Hmm... That eliminates about 90% of the trails in Northern Utah lol. Green Canyon in Logan is good. Pretty mellow grade and nice singletrack through the trees.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Haha how bad are the uphill parts to the Juniper and around trails aroundTonys Grove? It's not that I can't do the up hills. If they are mild or steep and short I could do them but I honestly couldn't do 4 or 5 miles of intermediate incline.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    Haha how bad are the uphill parts to the Juniper and around trails aroundTonys Grove? It's not that I can't do the up hills. If they are mild or steep and short I could do them but I honestly couldn't do 4 or 5 miles of intermediate incline.
    Jardine Juniper Trail

1850 feet climb over 5.5 miles. So that's an average grade over 6%.

Bunchgrass Trail

For Tony Grove you could park at the bottom and climb 1800 feet over 7 miles and take the singletrack back down, or park at the lake and take the singletrack down and climb back up the road.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Green Canyon and Providence Canyon are great rides near town at this time. The rides near tony grove and steam mill won't be open until the snow melts. This online map will give you an excellent idea of UT trails near by.

Trailforks Map

You will have to either learn to love climbing or shuttle alot. The easier XC rides like green canyon (if you turn arround where the yurt is right now) involve around 1000'. You can ride that in an hour or two. Jardine is about 1800' I highly reccomend that ride. If you put together a A full day ride XC ride like riding up steep hollow to steam mill, over to tony grove then down blind you really will be climbing alot.

Logan area easiest to shuttle trails are at Tony Grove. Others on the backside of logan peak are a bit more effort driving up the FS roads from right hand fork (Card canyons, Richards Hollow, Ricks and Steel Hollow).

If you look at the FS maps from SE. ID and it looks like there is also some single track near malad. Could be worth a look.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3804846.pdf

mtbr member
    Sweet thanks! I didn't know Green Canyon existed, that looks like a nice little ride for this spring weather. Also something that won't kick my rear end.
    We have dry farm land north of Malad so I am going to plan on heading up and checking that area out in the evenings after work. Last I heard there is a neat trail system in that area.

Haha its not that I hate climbing its just that college is taking its toll and I am terribly out of shape. I don't want to throw myself on a trail that ends up being too much to where I either have to walk my bike up it or have to turn around and go home. But I do want to make the ride up Jardine before the end of summer. I was born and spent half of my life in Utah and never knew some of this stuff existed.

Im also making it a goal to make it up to the Ephraim Grave trail (pending you can still bike that trail.) Im just leary on that one. Some trail reports say its a solid climb. Others make it sound like if you don't have a mile counter you will miss important turns. Anyone have thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ride one, and when you can't go any further turn around. Next ride, go a little higher. That's improvement, and how you will get fit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Besides shuttling, the easiest to climb trails are Green Canyon, Sink Hollow, and Richard's Hollow. They are easy because you can climb the road for the easy route up to the top, and are fun down. There is a willow something or other trail that has been fun but terrible at other times that is closer to the beginner spectrum of riding that I don't recommend because cattle seem to ruin it too much.

There are very few decent easy to intermediate climbs in northern Utah outside of Corner Canyon and Park City. Nearly all the trails were built by hikers, horses, or motorcycles. The only guys I see on the tops of the trails I ride are built fitness junkies (I get there by pushing my bike as much as riding). In the long run, you'll have to get to a high level of fitness to enjoy northern Utah biking. The NICA guys around Utah County are trying to build more beginner/intermediate style stuff to get the high school kids involved, which is badly needed. The only two uphill trails I would be willing to take a complete beginner are Green Canyon and another trail in Eagle Mountain getting built right now. The Bonneville Shoreline Trail is where most people seem to ride who just want to get out on a mountain bike, but it isn't very fun in most places.

I miss the trails in the Logan area, they are much better than I realized when I was there. I did Jardine once a week as my "workout" ride and tried to ride two new trails every week during the summer. If you take the right (maybe wrong) route to Ephraim's Grave, you'll find a crazy sinkhole on the side of the trail. I had no idea where I was when I found it and it looked very recently formed. I couldn't see the bottom. That trail didn't seem like it was meant for biking. I didn't make it to the grave site and turned around and came out some other way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sawmill Trail up Temple Fork is a fun quick ride with a mellow climb.