Norcal comes to Moab/Fruita- Mtbr.com
    Formerly dvo

Norcal comes to Moab/Fruita

We are getting together a small group together for a week long trip at the end of May, likely renting a condo in Moab for the first 2/3 of the trip then camping at Highline in Fruita. Here is our tentative ride plan.

Saturday- Arrive and session at Bartlett Wash

Sunday- Amasa/ Pothole/ Rockstacker/ Captain Ahab

Monday- The Whole Enchilada

Tuesday- Mag 7

Wednesday- 18 road Fruita

Thursday- Moore Fun/Horsethief etc

Friday- Grand Junction- lunch loops

We are all strong riders and I have been to Moab and Fruita a few times over the years.
    I'm the problem....

Frame Building Moderator
    Whole Enchilada will not be melted out yet, probably? Check with locals before you plan on it, anyway.

Sounds like fun. I might skip 18 Rd., but that's just me.

-W

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    We are getting together a small group together for a week long trip at the end of May, likely renting a condo in Moab for the first 2/3 of the trip then camping at Highline in Fruita. Here is our tentative ride plan.

Saturday- Arrive and session at Bartlett Wash

Sunday- Amasa/ Pothole/ Rockstacker/ Captain Ahab

Monday- The Whole Enchilada

Tuesday- Mag 7

Wednesday- 18 road Fruita

Thursday- Moore Fun/Horsethief etc

Friday- Grand Junction- lunch loops

We are all strong riders and I have been to Moab and Fruita a few times over the years.
    If by the end of May you mean just before Memorial Day, I hope you have reservations for Highline already.

Your Best Friend
    Keep in mind that the Le Sal loop road will be closed through May 26th for repairs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Formerly dvo
    Decided to book a place in Fruita as well so no camping and regarding the Enchilada we will settle for as high as they take us that day. Getting hyped!
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    On your way from Moab to Fruita (Via I-70) you may want to consider a stop at the Rabbit Valley Exit and ride Western Rim Trail. Amazing views riding above the Colorado River. I'd recommend downloading a GPS track to follow for it as well.
    Have fun
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

mtbr member
    As of yesterday - April 8 - Kokopelli was the highest point on the Porcupine shuttle. Conditions were good with a few wet spots down to UPS. The last shuttle usually goes out at around 10:30 AM, so book early. This site is one where you can book TWE and M7. You can only book online for this one. Whole Enchilada Shuttle Co.

If you ride Amasa/ Pothole/ Rockstacker/ Captain Ahab, you'll go up Cliffhanger or Hymasa twice. I've only ever ridden up Cliffhanger...the jeep track....only because I go up with my son and we started riding before Hymasa was there (over the last 10 years), so it's tradition for us.

I would recommend going up Cliffhanger first. It's great, highly technical, a great opportunity to work out sections that are doable after several tries (some are NOT)....then go down Ahab. At the bottom go back up (either Hymasa or Cliffhanger) and out to Pothole (don't expect to be wowed by Pothole Arch) and then down Rockstacker and Jackson. The river will be very high. I'm not sure how that will affect the egress at the bottom, as I did it when the river was low.

Moab Brewery has some of the best ribs I've ever had, but they only serve them after 5PM.

Formerly dvo
    We have six weeks before we are there so we will go as high as they will run, all booked with WES for both TWE and M7. As far as the Amasa ride I had thought of climbing up once, out to Rockstacker via Pothole and just doing the first section of Rockstacker before pulling off and connecting over to upper Ahab instead of taking Jackson all the way down and climbing up a second time. Like this....https://www.strava.com/routes/8219655

We will no doubt be spending plenty of time at the brewery!
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    We have six weeks before we are there so we will go as high as they will run, all booked with WES for both TWE and M7. As far as the Amasa ride I had thought of climbing up once, out to Rockstacker via Pothole and just doing the first section of Rockstacker before pulling off and connecting over to upper Ahab instead of taking Jackson all the way down and climbing up a second time. Like this....https://www.strava.com/routes/8219655

We will no doubt be spending plenty of time at the brewery!
    Ah, understood. The double climb is very doable, especially if it's the only ride of the day. Like I said, almost everyone goes up Hymasa.....I highly recommend Cliffhanger, though, if you haven't done it and you want to get spanked. My son and I just got back. We went up to Pothole and then back, skipping Rockstacker. That was about 14 miles and 2900 feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    For your day at the Lunch Loops. I would do "The Ribbon" Shuttle
    Ribbon Trail-Lunch Loops

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlbrace View Post
    For your day at the Lunch Loops. I would do "The Ribbon" Shuttle
    Ribbon Trail-Lunch Loops
    It doesn't seem like it would need a shuttle?

https://www.strava.com/routes/8251009
    I'm the problem....

beater
    I'm in complete agreement with MSU Alum. It's not that long a climb back up from the bottom of Ahab, and that's more fun than the push back out from the end of Rockstacker if you skip Jacksons. And Jacksons is some of the best natural flow around (with some gnarly switchbacks for fun).

Re: Hymasa v. Cliffhanger- I definitely prefer the road. Lots of fun tech challenges.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Re: Hymasa v. Cliffhanger- I definitely prefer the road. Lots of fun tech challenges.
    I like the road as well, but probably depends on the day. Like the tech climbing, and while Ahab is one of my favorite trails in Moab, I always liked blasting down the ledges on the road descent.

However, the last couple times I was on it, the road was completely clogged with UTVs.

"Hey Deeewayne, lets rent us one them there Razrs, drink some beer, and get it stuck in the middle of the road so we can all stand around in the road with our shirts off and not let anybody by"

Total $h!t show.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It doesn't seem like it would need a shuttle?

https://www.strava.com/routes/8251009
    we pedaled up the road, its a bit of a slog but not too bad...nice way to make a bigger loop all on bike.