NM freaks coming to St. George area Nov. 6 & 7- Mtbr.com

May 2008

New question here. NM freaks coming to St. George area Nov. 6 & 7

Hello Utah! A small group of us are going to be in St. George Nov. 6-7 (Thurs-Fri), and are looking to satisfy our urges to experience the area's technical XC and freeriding. I've looked at trail descriptions on utahmountainbiking.com, and Green Valley, Gooseberry, Little Creek, Grafton Mesa, Slickrock Swamp, etc. look really fun....

We're thinking one day on the Zion side, and one day closer to St. George. Any ideas on ways to narrow down the list of possible trails? Recommendations? We ride big heavy freeride bikes, but we pedal up everything (hence the "freaks"), and we enjoy serious challenges, super-technical stuff, drops, rollers, steeps.... We have full body armor and will be headed to Bootleg Canyon that weekend, so we're up for anything.

Thanks for the help, in advance!
    ruby

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    See if you can hook up with some of these riders:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=462696
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

May 2008

Team Sanchez

Thanks, xcguy! Hmmm....El Chingon, are you out there? You guys seem crazy enough--if you see this, would you mind showing a few of us around?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkopelov
    Thanks, xcguy! Hmmm....El Chingon, are you out there? You guys seem crazy enough--if you see this, would you mind showing a few of us around?
    Send him a pm. I'm not his agent, I ride a Turner and so does he and most of his crew. He's always posting ride stoke over on the Turner forum about showing out-of-towners the goods.
    If he's busy somebody he knows might show you around.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

May 2008

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I ride a Turner and so does he and most of his crew.
    I've ridden with Turner-lovers before....no comment I may have even heard rumor of you guys from some Turner ridin' guys here around Albuquerque! Three of us ride Transitions, so at least we'd have the "T" in common..... Thanks again for the advice--I'll PM the Chingon right now.

mtbr member
    hey i'll be in st george that weekend! also lookin for some good FR stuff. don't think I'd keep up with you guys... you guys sound like pretty serious riders. I wanted to hit up bootleg but its just me and the wife going and she doesn't ride...so that's out ha ha.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC

mtbr member
    so any directions to fr/dh stuff in st. george? i was going to take my enduro and demo but i think i'm just going to take the demo and a little bike for my wife. i only have friday to ride. going to vegas thursday and dunes saturday. im not a "freak" so pedaling my 40 lb FR bike is most likely not an option. i like shuttles

if you that are going would mind calling me if you find anything cool that would be awesome. im not inviting myself to ride with you if thats what your thinking ha ha. i just want something that'll be a quick-ish fun ride. my # is 801-358-9593
    thanks, Dave

May 2008

can't wait to hit the trails

You bet, Dave! I think we'll be riding Gooseberry-area stuff on Thurs, and then freeriding near St. George on Fri. I'm so excited to get out there!

NOT Team Sanchez
    I just spoke with EL C on the phone and it looks like we'll be riding the AMA, it's a FR trail I've built (39 stunts in about a mile and half descent, think super gnarly super D+dual slalom+Freeride and that's it). The only condition to riding this trail is you can't tell/show anyone it's location. I've put about 400-500 hours into it and want to keep it quiet so it A doesn't get shut down, B someone gets hurt, C tear it up with overuse as I've busted it over the last 14 months to construct it. Bottom line; We're stoked to have you ride with us, and Dave when are you going to be here? You're welcome to come out with us, But the same secrecy oath applies, especially with being from Northern Utah, yeah I checked your guy's profile, gotta make sure y'all are up to the challenge right?

Oh and I'm probably not so mildly OCD, I like my stuff in order!
    Last edited by wasea04; 11-06-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    totally understand! I'm at the days inn right off the freeway right now. but heading to vegas right now. we'll be back tonight though!
    feel free to call anytime or i'll check back here to see where everyone wants to meet.

thanks!

mtbr member
    it was nice meeting you guys today! had lots of fun. you'll have to post some pics when you get home. i wish i woulda brought a camera. let me know how barrel trail was.

May 2008

Completely and totally badass!

You guys rock! The "freaks" just got home are back to work in chilly NM. We had a blast on the AMA--you have done some hard work on that trail--we've been bragging about cool it was.... Barrels was awesome as well. I'll be posting pics very soon! Also proud to report that I somehow managed to actually break my frame in the past week!! Yes, that's right, amazingly, 125# of weakling girl cracked her magical yellow Syren frame...Transition's awesome, though, and is sending me a new one!

Thanks again for the awesome guiding! We had a great time--if you're ever in NM we'll show you some cool trails!

mtbr member
    that's crazy you cracked it! do you know how it happened? I'm assuming your alright?

looking forward to the pics!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks for rolling with us both "Freaks," and Dave, and thanks for the kind words too, I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's gnarly you broke your frame, you're like a female Josh Bender!
    I like bikes.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rkopelov
    You guys rock! The "freaks" just got home are back to work in chilly NM. We had a blast on the AMA--you have done some hard work on that trail--we've been bragging about cool it was.... Barrels was awesome as well. I'll be posting pics very soon! Also proud to report that I somehow managed to actually break my frame in the past week!! Yes, that's right, amazingly, 125# of weakling girl cracked her magical yellow Syren frame...Transition's awesome, though, and is sending me a new one!

Thanks again for the awesome guiding! We had a great time--if you're ever in NM we'll show you some cool trails!
    Where did it crack?

May 2008

The female Josh Bender speaks....

Nice! I've never gotten such a great nickname!!
    So I broke the downtube right at the weld where it joins the top tube...Transition said they're looking into the design. Anyway, at least it wasn't catastrophic--I'd heard the squeaking, but actually didn't even notice the crack until I brought it into my local bike shop...
    Here's a few pics of the damage--the fork met its demise (though artistic!) on the Bootleg Canyon shuttle Sunday&%&#*($#
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2008

St. George ROCKS!

Woohoo! I finally got the pics uploaded for our time in St. George--sorry I haven't gotten the videos yet--but the photos prove irrefutably that Team Sanchez is freakin' AWESOME!

May 2008

Barrels....

More pics! Barrels in Green Valley was a great recommendation--thanks! Jason had a blast on the step-ups!

I'd rather be biking...
    Great pics, i live down the street from that trail and checked it out a few times, it sucks climbing to the top of that hill. its cover just got blown by all the pics, i think somebody could figure out where its at pretty easy now by looking at the pics for a minute......... Nice trail sanchez

May 2008
    What trail? Where? Huh? What? ;-P

Team Sanchez
    I'm just now seeing the pics. They turned out nice. It's always fun riding with people new to the trails. You cant check out video of the AMA we did last week over on the Turner board.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=470313

mtbr member
    Man, makes me miss southern utah.

mtbr member
    Good stuff. Those gaps and rock tabletop jumps look fun/scary. The St. George boys know how to throw down and show an outsider a good time.

I saw the AMA hill with the towers on it from across town while I was driving along the road up on the DIXIE bluff by Pioneer Park when I was there this weekend. Didn't have my bike with me though. In fact I've been in Moab and St.George on consecutive weekends without my bike. That's just wrong!

I think I may be coming back on December 13th (with my bike) if anyone's up for some more guide duty.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Darch

Gooseberry Mesa

What is the best riding at Gooseberry: for 3 freeriders coming Feb 16 for 1-2 days; then to Guacamole; then Red Rock and Moab. We are Canadians, so can take the COLD!
    Thanks.
    Darch

I'd rather be biking...
    There are a lot of stunts at gooseberry, the mesa itself is flat but is scattered with rock drops step downs and ups. you just have to keep your eye open and use your imagination. We find something new all the time. maybe go check out the old red bull rampage site. you could spend days there and find new stuff. you tube: red bull rampage

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/de5T5h1tVJ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/de5T5h1tVJ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NOT Team Sanchez
    Hey Shelbster have you hit anything on the AMA?
    Last edited by wasea04; 11-25-2008 at 09:32 AM.
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Yeah, whoes this?

NOT Team Sanchez
    Hey BTW you should come and ride with "Team Sanchez" some time, anyhow take care bro, I'm going to edit my post and remove your name, peace!
    Last edited by wasea04; 11-26-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

fo shizzle!

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Good stuff. Those gaps and rock tabletop jumps look fun/scary. The St. George boys know how to throw down and show an outsider a good time.

I saw the AMA hill with the towers on it from across town while I was driving along the road up on the DIXIE bluff by Pioneer Park when I was there this weekend. Didn't have my bike with me though. In fact I've been in Moab and St.George on consecutive weekends without my bike. That's just wrong!

I think I may be coming back on December 13th (with my bike) if anyone's up for some more guide duty.
    We'd love to have you ride with us again, we promise no to accidentally launch over any fifteen gap jumps Bring that Knolly down for it's true breaking in
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    yeah that should be fun, i have seen you since high school! Ive been so busy the last few weeks with work that i have been getting home to lateto ride, so im pickin up night riding. Ill have to meet up with you guys for some group rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    We'd love to have you ride with us again, we promise no to accidentally launch over any fifteen gap jumps Bring that Knolly down for it's true breaking in

Cool. I should be able to ride the afternoon of the 13th. I'll send you a pm when it gets closer with details.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    rkopelov, y'all need to hook up with a rider called mtbiker123, he's from Albequerque and has some sweet stunts, btw since you've been here I've added about ten new moves all of them big.......16' hip, 21' stepdown, and a massive stepup.
    I like bikes.

May 2008

Coming back for more in February!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    rkopelov, y'all need to hook up with a rider called mtbiker123, he's from Albequerque and has some sweet stunts, btw since you've been here I've added about ten new moves all of them big.......16' hip, 21' stepdown, and a massive stepup.
    Hey man! That sounds cool! Yeah, we know Bryan...we've been corrupting him a bit more lately; hence the "sweet stunts"

So we're coming back! Actually I won't be there, but Jason's coming out, and his bro Daniel will be spending several weeks in your general area in February. I'm sure they'd love to hook up with you and the rest of Team Sanchez for some CRAZINESS. I'll PM you their details, since they don't really get on mtbr....

By the way, our local website here in NM has now gone regional--SW Freeride. You guys should get on there and sign up--it's sort of a facebook-like design with fun networking tools and you can even create groups for your local riding scene. Lots of pics, too, and a few videos.... Check it out!

Members who have read this thread: 0