Nice work Hurricane Bike Festival- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nice work Hurricane Bike Festival

The organizers did a great job at the festival, my only negative comment being the difficulty to obtain a demo bike.

That being said, the food was great, the "guided" rides were well done, free socks, and the value for $75 pretty darn good.
    My wife and I met a lot of super folks, not all that unusual for a mountain biking crowd. Even the locals seemed pleased to have us in town.

Highly recommended, especially if you consider all that and rides like Little Creek, Gooseberry and Guacamole.
    I hope to hit it again next year!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    The organizers did a great job at the festival, my only negative comment being the difficulty to obtain a demo bike.

That being said, the food was great, the "guided" rides were well done, free socks, and the value for $75 pretty darn good.
    My wife and I met a lot of super folks, not all that unusual for a mountain biking crowd. Even the locals seemed pleased to have us in town.

Highly recommended, especially if you consider all that and rides like Little Creek, Gooseberry and Guacamole.
    I hope to hit it again next year!
    So glad you had a great time. Hope to see you again next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, what made it difficult to get a demo bike? I'm sure as the festival has become more popular, people are started to line up earlier and earlier. We used to be able to show up at the opening time and walk right up to whatever vendor and get a bike. Please don't tell me they keep everybody outside a roped area and then have everybody RUN to the vendors when they drop a tape/open a gate.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what made it difficult to get a demo bike? I'm sure as the festival has become more popular, people are started to line up earlier and earlier. We used to be able to show up at the opening time and walk right up to whatever vendor and get a bike. Please don't tell me they keep everybody outside a roped area and then have everybody RUN to the vendors when they drop a tape/open a gate.
    That's exactly what they do. People started lining up at 6 am and they opened at 9 am. Not much the organizers can do about that. I have it on good authority that the organizers are happy with the size of the event. Now they are going to keep working on the quality. Hopefully more vendors next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    That's exactly what they do. People started lining up at 6 am and they opened at 9 am. Not much the organizers can do about that. I have it on good authority that the organizers are happy with the size of the event. Now they are going to keep working on the quality. Hopefully more vendors next year.

To be honest the only reason I care is I hate to see mountain bikers behaving like Wal- Mart shoppers on Black Friday. I like to think we're better than that. Even at festivals, I don't demo bikes so i don't have to worry about getting in line

If they feel committed to that model, just hand out numbered tickets to people who show up at 6 am so they can leave and come back, just as long as they are there at 9 am. Then at 9 am, ticket #1 can calmly walk in first, then #2 and so on. That way people can act civilized....until they get on JEM
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Yes, Silentfoe has it right.
    My wife is shopping and we were in line each morning around 7:30, in one case only to find out that Giant only had 1 small and it was gone by the time we ran to the vendor.
    IMO, for each vendor to have a single demo per day per bike is just dumb. I do like the way Outerbike does it; take a bike out for an hour or so on the trails that are right there, and have it back for another person to demo ... that very same day!
    I talked to people who have demoed bikes at Outerbike with the claim that they rode 10-15 demo bikes over the 3 day period. I would guess that no one could make a claim close to that at Hurricane.
    Obviously that requires the festival set up to be in very close proximity to trails, which is easier at a place like the Bar M trails of Moab.

Really not trying to bash the festival. The food was better than any other festival I've been to, staff and ride guides were terrific, attendants were fun and great to meet, and location ... Gooseberry, Little Creek, Scout Trails, Guacamole ... and Zion NP!
    Craig, Durango CO

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    Yes, Silentfoe has it right.
    My wife is shopping and we were in line each morning around 7:30, in one case only to find out that Giant only had 1 small and it was gone by the time we ran to the vendor.
    IMO, for each vendor to have a single demo per day per bike is just dumb. I do like the way Outerbike does it; take a bike out for an hour or so on the trails that are right there, and have it back for another person to demo ... that very same day!
    I talked to people who have demoed bikes at Outerbike with the claim that they rode 10-15 demo bikes over the 3 day period. I would guess that no one could make a claim close to that at Hurricane.
    Obviously that requires the festival set up to be in very close proximity to trails, which is easier at a place like the Bar M trails of Moab.

Really not trying to bash the festival. The food was better than any other festival I've been to, staff and ride guides were terrific, attendants were fun and great to meet, and location ... Gooseberry, Little Creek, Scout Trails, Guacamole ... and Zion NP!
    You're right regarding proximity to trails and the number of demos you could do.

mtbr member
    Fruita is doing that this year, setting up the demos at 18 Rd. then again, testing a Nomad or Ripmo at 18 Rd is pretty worthless.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Fruita is doing that this year, setting up the demos at 18 Rd. then again, testing a Nomad or Ripmo at 18 Rd is pretty worthless.
    The vendors should put a little effort into it and have the appropriate bikes at each of 18 Road, Loma exit and Lunch Loops. That would be something!
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I heard about this at the last minute, and couldn't make it down. That was because:

1) I couldn't book any specific bikes, and it's a 5hr drive each way, so a big commitment to not get to demo my ideal 3 or 4 bikes that I'm cross shopping
    2) By the time I looked, I think it was either a Sunday or whole weekend pass was all that they had left. That was too much driving, entry fee etc, to maybe not get to demo what I'm after.

I wish they could do a full week of demos, and limit each demo to 1-2 hrs. Even if I got to demo a really nice bike off my list all day, the whole point for me was that I could ride the four bikes back to back on the same trails.

I'll aim to go next year, as I'll have bought the new bike, and will just be going for the festival stuff.

Looks amazing.