New trails built in SCRP- Mtbr.com
    I'd rather be biking...

New trails built in SCRP

They added some more trails to the Santa Clara River Preserve area if some of you haven't noticed. There is a new loop that I call the "Rim Trails" -rim reaper-rim runner-rim rambler-rim rock. They also added an extension off of barrel roll called Sidewinder, I took some pics of it today. They are adding a couple short cuts on barrel roll and connectors too but they aren't finished yet.

Pics all are off Sidewinder and the final is the new fence they put around the Cove wash trailhead (Barrel Roll parking)

More Info: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...CRR_trails.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images

NOT Team Sanchez
    Very cool, hey did you get a new bike......Transition Covert?
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Goll Allen let the thread sit for 5 minutes before you post! Yeah I sold My stumpy and got more of an all-mountain light freeride build of a covert. I love it a lot more then my stumpy

NOT Team Sanchez
    I just got online and here was this new post, it's not like I wait around on mtbr all day like some people
    I like bikes.

Really I am that slow
    Its a pretty fun loop for sure
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

I'd rather be biking...
    Some pics from the "Rim Rock Trails" also in SCRP off of Cove wash trailhead.

I'd rather be biking...
    you can see in this pic that they are almost finished with this new connector for barrel roll to sidewinder. Its called precipice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up - I'll go and ride those trails when I'm in St george riding on 1st & 2nd of may - Would the new trails be good for night riding ? - as I arrive late on the 30th of april from Flagstaff, and the last time I did a night ride in st george (Anazai trail) a women was wating for me back at my car threating to call the police
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

I'd rather be biking...
    Thanks for the heads up - I'll go and ride those trails when I'm in St george riding on 1st & 2nd of may - Would the new trails be good for night riding ? - as I arrive late on the 30th of april from Flagstaff, and the last time I did a night ride in st george (Anazai trail) a women was wating for me back at my car threating to call the police
    Yeah Gordan They would be a great night ride because It's pretty laid back and not to technical.

I think I can see why some one would see you being threatning riding Anasazi trail after dark with a light. They probably thought you were trying to steal the petroglyphs or vandalize them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi guys, this is my first post on Mtbr. I've been lurking for a while and enjoying all the great information here in Utah and the AZ forum. I work for a non profit conservation corps based in Flagstaff and over the last few years we've been busy building most of the trails in SCRP.

Today our crew finished building the last section of the Precipice trail. It took a while to bench through all that rock but they did a great job of busting out a few big ones that were in the trail alignment.

I hope everyone enjoys riding the trails as much as we enjoyed being in Utah building them. Hopefully work will let up and I can get out and ride them all soon.

Gordon are you heading through Flag on your trip ? I think you rode with a friend of mine last time you were here and it would be good to share a few miles of trail with a fellow Brit.

I'd rather be biking...
    Ha Then I probably saw you guys when you were working on them Last week. I was over on Rim rock and looked across the canyon to see you guys walking single file back to your vans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yep that was our crew. Good job you didn't get that close as they smell a bit after 8 days working without a shower. They are nearly all volunteers (American and international) who toil away for 8 days at a time and have 6 days off before the next hitch.

I'd rather be biking...
    yep that was our crew. Good job you didn't get that close as they smell a bit after 8 days working without a shower. They are nearly all volunteers (American and international) who toil away for 8 days at a time and have 6 days off before the next hitch
    I feel bad that you all crammed in a couple vans after 80 Temps and slaving away building a trail...Hats off to you.

So did the city lay out the trails? Or did they just point where they wanted them and your crew made the decision?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We are working for the BLM in St George. They flagged the trail corridor and then we get to play cutting the tread and on this one moving some rock as well to keep things interesting. On the steep cross slope stuff we got job of flagging and route just because we knew what we could cut through. On some jobs we lay out the trails on others the project partners want to do it.

I think this was our last week for the season as the temps are rising. The crew loved it up there as they could see the progress day by day. They were camping at Red Cliff which is nice and cool in the evenings with some good swimming holes as well so the heat was not that much of an issue. It was nice to finish the trail on the last day of work for the season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBritofTrail
    Gordon are you heading through Flag on your trip ? I think you rode with a friend of mine last time you were here and it would be good to share a few miles of trail with a fellow Brit.
    Hi,

I will be in flag on 28th&29th april but intend to ride down in sedona on both days - mainly because its so scenic down there compared to all the tree views up in Flag, I intend to ride flagstaff trails on the last day of my trip on 8th May
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    Dang I want your job! To be paid to build trail would be a dream come true!!!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wanna go try the rim trails tomorrow. Are they single speed friendly or should I take the Prophet out? I don't mind a bit of climbing on the SS but hate the fast cobbly trail chater of a really rocky trail. For reference, is it anything like Church Rock/Prospector single track sections?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    sorry for the late reply, just got back to the office after a heavy week of trail building. I would think your SS will be just fine as most of the trails are in dirt and not rocks. Hope you had a great ride. Let my know what you thought as its always good to get feedback after building the trials. Our crew are heading off the put the finishing touches to the new Deadhorse point trial in Moab next week so I hope to get chance to fit my bike in the trailer and sneak off to ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I loved it! Took the Dog and the SS out this morning and made my way out to the parking corral by barrell roll. Once I found the trail head, I looped the two trails on the left clock wise and counter clock wise and had a blast. Then I jumped onto the right fork and played on a few of the forks there and then headed back. On the way back we ran into two gilla monsters and a big king snake, all right in the middle of the trail. I managed to get a few shots and some video on my Back berry for confirmation of the encounter.

Members who have read this thread: 0