Your Best Friend

New trail near Hurricane

The Wire Mesa trail is officially complete. About 3 miles down the Smithsonian Butte scenic byway from the Gooseberry Mesa turnoff.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/79...S&v=1481148373
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice! I was down there right before Halloween. Please consider adding it to MTBproject!

mtbr member
    A region was already setup this September for when this was completed. Cool to see its ready!
    Wire Mesa, Hurricane Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Not sure if different sections have different trail names, or the entire loop is just one trail.

Looks like you can also make it a half loop by cutting down the middle as this rider did: Nov 25, 2016 jhailer Ride | Trailforks

mtbr member
    What's the best way to get there....taking the main road up to Goose and cutting across? It actually looks pretty close to Hwy 9 (at least as the crow flies).
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    When I was there I didn't drive the road, but was told Smithsonian Road is pretty rough with ruts, advisable to have a truck.

I'm sure a local can chime in with current condition of the road. I know people shuttle it for Grafton, most likely in trucks though.

mtbr member
    I've been watching the development of this new trail. Thanks for the Trail Forks link. So it looks like the turn off/parking is just down the road from the Grafton Mesa turn off. Is it signed? Also what direction is best? CW or CCW? Or does it ride fine in both directions?

Might be down there this weekend and would like to check it out. Looks like parking at Grafton Cemetery then climbing Smithsonian Butte Byway up Cry Baby hill to Wire Mesa then after looping Wire Mesa continue on up to the top of Grafton and descend back to your car might be a good ride.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    That would be a good ride. Driving up cry baby hill is best done in a high clearance 4x4. The road is as bad as I've ever seen it. Getting to it is easiest as I described in my first post. It flows both directions really well. There are three spots with A/B lines. It's Intermediate in design with a few black diamond spots. Oh and yes, just one loop. One trail name. It was designed without access on to the dirt road at the point. We didn't want people getting on and off from that point. I honestly can't remember the reasons. It's a short enough loop. I can't imagine taking the effort to get to the trail and then wanting to make it a shorter ride. There are two sections of a currently illegal trail named "Undisclosed" that can get you from Grafton to Wire and they are really fun.

Your Best Friend
    The turnoff is not signed yet. Signs on the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got to ride it last week. It's was just shy of being completed. The building crew was 1/4 mile or so away from finishing but the last 1/2 mile or so was only roughed in. It's a blast to ride. We went out with the trail developers and had a group of 11 that spent the afternoon breaking it in. We accessed it off the same road that you turn off to go to gooseberry. It was approximately 1 1/2 - 2 miles past the goose turn off. It's listed on Utah mountain biking.com

Your Best Friend
    It's closer to 3 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lol, I should pay better attention! We were too busy talking and goofing off on the way there.

mtbr member
    Awesome, we'll be sure to check it out on our next trip out there....and the new stuff at Boy Scout too.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    It's all good. Hit me up when you're coming and we can ride.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I've climbed up the road from Rockville with my rear wheel drive van and it is a challenge. 4WD driving experience is a must. Don't consider it after a rain or early spring. The locals don't want it paved or maintained so it doesn't get much love.

Looking forward to trying this trail! Thanks trail builders!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    That would be a good ride.
    It was a good ride. Though not technical, Wire Mesa was a pleasant spin with some fun flow, a bit of mild tech, and spectacular views. It reminded me of Gander or the single track, dirt portions of Little Creek but without the bigger elevation changes going through gullies and washes that those two have. There's not a lot of slick rock but there is more along the east rim. I rode in the CW direction and can't honestly say if one way would be better than the other. Just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    There are two sections of a currently illegal trail named "Undisclosed" that can get you from Grafton to Wire and they are really fun.
    I'm kinda sad I didn't research the "Undisclosed" cutoff back up to Grafton. I saw the fork but thought it was just an "A/B" option until I got looking at the utahmountainbiking.com map.

I ended up just riding up the road to the start of Grafton, but Undisclosed looks like it would be a fun, more interesting option. Thanks for the beta SF.

Here's a link to my ride.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Too bad you missed Undisclosed. I drove out to the trailhead on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised as to how many people were there. Maybe I saw you. Next time PM me and I'll tag along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Too bad you missed Undisclosed. I drove out to the trailhead on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised as to how many people were there. Maybe I saw you. Next time PM me and I'll tag along.
    I started early (8:00 ish) and there was no one there and I didn't see anyone on the trail. There was one truck at the trail head when I got back around.
    For sure. We'll be back down over New Year's weekend. I'll ping you.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    We're hoping to ride it over the holiday break! Thanks to all the trail builders! Can anybody tell me about how long the drive will take to get to the trailhead from the top of the Jem turnoff?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The time depends on that dir road. A couple of days sometimes :-) I haven't timed that drive but about 35 minutes should do it if the dirt road is dry and you don't beat up your vehicle by driving fast on it.

The "scenic route" designation is a bit strange. It mostly isn't all that scenic compared to most roads in south Utah and it is poorly maintained so not attractive to tourists. Whatever.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Your Best Friend
    You're pretty jaded if you think it isn't scenic. 30-40 minutes is a good guess. The turn off from the highway is about 12 minutes from the JEM highway 59 trailhead. Then it's about 4.5 miles down the dirt road. Once you get past the Gooseberry turnoff, the road is relatively passable. Keep in mind, if we get any moisture, that road is hell. Send me a PM if that happens. You can always park at my place and ride your bike to the trail.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Silentfoe, Yep, I'm scenically jaded :-) South Utah, California coast and Sierras, Alps, 16 years in Alaska... About once a year I drive Highway 12 between biking around Hurricane to Moab. Jeez, that has the views! The view of Zion on the north end of Smithsonian, just before the plunge to Rockville, is amazing but few people can drive that section.

Normally a designated scenic route is a tourist attraction but that road is hardly a tourist road. I don't think I've heard anyway suggest to a tourist to take a nice leisurely drive on Smithsonian for great views :-)

Your Best Friend
    I actually get feedback every now and then that a tourist has seen "scenic byway" on a map and then proceeded to get screwed trying to drive cry baby hill. To include a fully loaded refer semi taking goods to Sol Foods in Springdale.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    WTF, a fully loaded semi on THAT steep grade? Yikes! I would love to have seen that! Hopefully he had some fresh underwear packed.

I drive it in my 2wd Ford Aerostar van but it is an uncomfortable experience. I have a lot of 4wd experience and grew up on a ranch in mountains so that experience helps. I never recommend it though.

Rockville folks tell me it will never get paved or upgraded. Local resistance to traffic. Which is way making it a scenic byway is so strange.

Your Best Friend
    Washington County is responsible for maintaining the road from the Gooseberry Mesa turnoff to Rockville. The town of Apple Valley maintains the other part from Highway 59. I have it on excellent authority that a deal is in the works between the BLM and Washington County to have the road maintained at a higher level.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I heard a rumor like that a couple of months ago at the bar at The Bit. Never sure about the reliability of what I hear there :-) Hope it is true and hopefully the Rockville folks won't find a way to block it.