New MRP AMg V2 for Moab.....needed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New MRP AMg V2 for Moab.....needed?

Not sure if this has been gone over or not, but the search tool on MTBR blows.

We are heading to Moab next week and I'm from the Santa Cruz area and have yet to ride Moab with the new narrow/wide 1x11 set up. I just put on a new 32t chainring, but I'm wondering if it would behoove me to throw on the new MRP AMg V2?

Hoping to find out that I don't need it from riders who frequent, live in, the terrain. We ride fastish, seems like the chain would be really active from what I recall railing down LPR!? I was on a Knolly Delirium with a CG the last time we rode out there, so no issues. Does the "new" system work relatively well or is there issues with chain droppage?

Just want some info from an experienced rider out there.

Thanks,

Dom
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I've been riding a Borealis Echo out here since I got it new
    last year, 1X11. I ride everything, never a problem and I'm running a 26 tooth chainring. I don't think you have anything to worry about

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    I've been riding a Borealis Echo out here since I got it new
    last year, 1X11. I ride everything, never a problem and I'm running a 26 tooth chainring. I don't think you have anything to worry about
    Great news! I hoping that this is the common thought.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Hey Dom,

I made about 4 trips to Moab last year on my Evil and never dropped the chain. I use the Blackspire Bruiser which only has a taco bash, no chain retention.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Hey Dom,

I made about 4 trips to Moab last year on my Evil and never dropped the chain. I use the Blackspire Bruiser which only has a taco bash, no chain retention.
    That's what I wanted to hear!

A little off topic, but did the Uprising enjoy the desert?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Completely biased opinion, but.....

I've ridden just about every N/W ring in the last year and dropped a chain on them all. One of the drops resulted in the chain getting sucked behind my cassette and killing most of my driveside spokes. All were tested with 10spd. systems, 11spd. has been more reliable, but not perfect.

Every race weekend I hear "I dropped my chain, that's never happened before!" It gets more common every race - I heard it at least a dozen times at Sea Otter. Why? Because if you're racing, or just riding really hard, you're pushing your bike to the limit - flexing it in new ways and probably frequently down in your 10-11-13t cogs which don't provide much chain tension. Throw in a backpedal or gnarly g-out and your chain is likely to go bye bye.

If you coast downhill, you're probably fine and maybe, at most, will drop your chain 2-3 times a year.

At the very least I'd recommend chainring protection.

Before I get flamed, please consider that I've been testing various 1x setups as part of my job for about five years. Just telling the truth, the bike industry isn't lucrative enough to be shady!

Have fun in Moab!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Completely biased opinion, but.....

I've ridden just about every N/W ring in the last year and dropped a chain on them all. One of the drops resulted in the chain getting sucked behind my cassette and killing most of my driveside spokes. All were tested with 10spd. systems, 11spd. has been more reliable, but not perfect.

Every race weekend I hear "I dropped my chain, that's never happened before!" It gets more common every race - I heard it at least a dozen times at Sea Otter. Why? Because if you're racing, or just riding really hard, you're pushing your bike to the limit - flexing it in new ways and probably frequently down in your 10-11-13t cogs which don't provide much chain tension. Throw in a backpedal or gnarly g-out and your chain is likely to go bye bye.

If you coast downhill, you're probably fine and maybe, at most, will drop your chain 2-3 times a year.

At the very least I'd recommend chainring protection.

Before I get flamed, please consider that I've been testing various 1x setups as part of my job for about five years. Just telling the truth, the bike industry isn't lucrative enough to be shady!

Have fun in Moab!
    No flaming here, I've seen what, and how you ride and respect your opinion. ;-)

I am just going to be safe and get one. It's minimal weight and provides a ton of confidence while you are banging through the desert rocky terrain. It has been modified and is very minimal, plus quieter now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New MRP AMg V2 for Moab.....needed?-mrp-amg-v2.jpg  

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    No flaming here, I've seen what, and how you ride and respect your opinion. ;-)
    Cheers man! I got to ride a few days in Santa Cruz before and after Sea Otter - those trails are amazing! I could ride campus every day for many years...

I'll be in Moab next weekend for the Enduro Cup. Trail conditions are sweet right now with all the recent moisture.
    NOAH SEARS

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I can't imagine riding stuff like Moab, Fruita/GJ, or Hurricane without a decent guide and bash protection. The new breed of guides like the MRP AMg are awesome. Upper guide to keep the chain in place and bash protection for all the high dollar narrow wide rings. You really need bash protection of some sort for riding in Southern Utah so why not go all in and get the added benefit of knowing your chain isn't going to drop and tear a bunch of other stuff up.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Great point. I already have the MRP "taco", so this is just adding the chain guide and it's pretty sleek. Should be herre tomorrow and I'll have a test ride before we head out to Moab.

mtbr member
    Just got back from Moab with only the taco protection. No dropped chains, but plenty of hits to the taco. That new MRP guide looks awesome and I will buy one before the next race for the added peace of mind.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    That new MRP guide looks awesome and I will buy one before the next race for the added peace of mind.
    Nice! Yeah, especially with the new "TR" upper guide, the weight difference between an XCg and AMg is pretty negligible - certainly worth the added security IMO. And since we've recently updated and lightened the skid and upper guide, those coming off the original XCg will see an even smaller weight penalty. We haven't started production of the small AMg carbon ISCG-05 backplates yet, but I'd venture to guess a complete guide will weigh within 10 g of the XCg 36t.
    NOAH SEARS

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Had a nice flashback to this thread while blasting down Bull Run this weekend. Came across a group of stopped riders and asked if they needed anything while we rolled by. Guy who was fiddling with his chain replied "Nope, just dropped a chain." He was on an XX1 setup with no guide.

After riding some of the new Klondike stuff yesterday I feel bad for anyone racing the Enduro Cup next weekend without a guide. The high speed runs down the rock sections are brutal, so much chatter!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think it's a good idea for Moab, more for the chainring protection than the chain retention, especially if you ride some of the steeper more technical stuff. I definitely chipped a chainring tooth riding Dave's trail, which, granted, was a result of poor line choice, but it happens; so a bash guard provides peace of mind that you won't tear anything up. As for chain retention, I've never dropped a chain in Moab using XX1, but I've seen it happen to others. For the small weight and price penalty, I think the AMg V2 is worth it (now that they're available I'm definitely getting one).

mtbr member
    I've only had a chain drop a couple times total on my two bikes and a year plus of riding 1x including two trips to Moab. Once at WBP on choppy fast braking bumps, once while back pedaling with a mud coated chain and maybe one other time.

Unless I were racing I wouldn't worry about it for chain retention. For protection it makes sense though and you get the added benefit of chain retention.

Have a good trip Dom. Also interested to hear your take on the Following in Moab. I just got back and rode most everything on my 5010. It was nice to have the chili on blue dot/portal though.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-11-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    The first year XX1 came out, everyone I knew dropped a chain in Moab at least once on the Mag 7 trails during the Enduro cup. I'm running a v1 MRP Amg on my Kona Process with a 1x10, NW chainring and shortcage rear d. without a clutch. I raced the Klodike Bluffs area this weekend during the Enduro Cup and had no issues. Thanks for the awesome design Noah!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    I raced the Klodike Bluffs area this weekend during the Enduro Cup and had no issues. Thanks for the awesome design Noah!
    Thanks! How was your race?
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Thanks! How was your race?
    Pretty good! Had a ton of fun. I've been training since December and felt way stronger and faster than I ever have on the bike and when I raced it 2 years ago (was out last year with a dislocated knee cap). That being said, there are some fast mo fo's out there!