New Moab- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Moab

mtbr member
    May 2008

New Moab

I love blue dot so I'm bummed to hear of it's closing, but i'm excited about the new projects going on. What new trails have techy/drop lines like blue dot? What should I ride if I have one day to ride and want to ride something new? Deadmans Ridge seems to more advanced than mag 7? Opinions? Other options. Thanks!

Ride and Smile
    When was it open? and why is it closing?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99
    I love blue dot so I'm bummed to hear of it's closing, but i'm excited about the new projects going on. What new trails have techy/drop lines like blue dot? What should I ride if I have one day to ride and want to ride something new? Deadmans Ridge seems to more advanced than mag 7? Opinions? Other options. Thanks!
    You might find Rockstacker to Jackson's enjoyable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I love rockstacker to jackson's! I was turned on to rockstacker back in 03, same year I was shown blue dot which I was told was just gold bar rim single track. I find it odd that rockstacker was made legal but blue dot got cut. I've heard it's because of big horn sheep, please correct me if that's wrong. If so, I understand and I'm ok with that. If it was cut just because it's was never legal, I understand that too, but rockstacker wasn't blazed legally either. I wish they didn't paint rockstacker. It looks like someone dragged a deed deer down the trial. Yes it makes it easier to follow, but cairns are fine IMO.

Desert Seeker
    Second on Rockstacker/Jackson's - they are both technical. Old stuff like the Porcupine single track and the Portal would also fit the bill. Deadman's Ridge has some tougher spots; not as flowy as the New Mag 7 single track. Pipe Dream is single track and also has some challenging sections.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know most of the classic rides so I want to try your new trails like deadmans, pipe dream or mag 7. Out of those which is best for someone that likes ledgy, techy terrain with maybe some nice alternate lines like all the drops on pork rim, amasa back etc...

Desert Seeker
    Well, I can't claim to know exactly what would float your boat so to speak, but Mag 7 would likely have the most similar terrain to those other trails and part of the climb up to Gold Bar is completely legal and marked so you can still finish with the jeep road (Golden Spike) to Portal or Poison Spider.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99
    I love rockstacker to jackson's! I was turned on to rockstacker back in 03, same year I was shown blue dot which I was told was just gold bar rim single track. I find it odd that rockstacker was made legal but blue dot got cut. I've heard it's because of big horn sheep, please correct me if that's wrong. If so, I understand and I'm ok with that. If it was cut just because it's was never legal, I understand that too, but rockstacker wasn't blazed legally either. I wish they didn't paint rockstacker. It looks like someone dragged a deed deer down the trial. Yes it makes it easier to follow, but cairns are fine IMO.
    I understood that the sheep were cutting out part of the climb and that the section from the top over to portal was never on the table. So I was thinking its status is completely unchanged.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool thanks for the advice. It will be hard to follow golden spike to portal knowing how sweet the lines are up at the rim. I wish blue dot was part of mag 7! I've heard tickets have been given out for riding blue dot.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I ride it only at night, illuminating the route with the TLR-1 mounted on my pistol. Nobody has approached me, but your results may vary.

Pipe Dream is pretty fun, but not particularly technical. Some tight switchbacks but I would call it a good warmup ride or something to chill on in the afternoon. It is rideable as an out-and-back but it flows better from Hidden Valley TH back to town.

Re: Rockstacker. You have probably found the lower section above the river between the Lunch spot where the brown poo line starts and the top of Jacksons, but if you haven't, it's awesome tech. I have ridden the stripe part once and yeah, it's pretty "meh"

Flat Pass and Steel Bender have some ledgy jeep road tech that is challenging, but it's not singletrack and it lacks any long descents.

JMH

Members who have read this thread: 0