New Mid-mountain reroute- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Mid-mountain reroute

For those who don't know mid mountain has been rerouted from spiro to just before armstrong. Not sure who else has ridden this but it is not good. Bad even. Just a heads up, it really sucks.

mtbr member
    What is it that is bad?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    it's a shame if this is the case, since that section that used to be there was one of the most fun ones of the whole route.....

mtbr member
    It's about 8 feet wide and the dirt is still really loose. Always sucks to feel like you're sinking into the ground while pedaling uphill.

mtbr member
    Did they cut an entirely new trail straight through from the top of Armstrong to Spiro or did they just recut the original trail? New trails are always loose until they "set in".

Perpetual n00b
    There goes that Gold Ride Center designation...
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Did they cut an entirely new trail straight through from the top of Armstrong to Spiro or did they just recut the original trail? New trails are always loose until they "set in".
    They cut an entirely new trail above the old one. More of a dirt road, honestly. Definitely not the flowy shaded singletrack that was there before.

mtbr member
    Yeah. That's about 1/300's of the rides up here. Still, it's a shame. I'm guessing that there were enough collisions on that section that Mountain Trails decided to open it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm scheduled to ride that section South to North early Sunday morning. Will give a report.

mtbr member
    Hopefully it is not too bad as to be a hike a bike section. Guess we will find out tomorrow.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    Hopefully it is not too bad as to be a hike a bike section. Guess we will find out tomorrow.
    It's certainly rideable. Just not as awesome as it used to be IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    just got back from this morning's ride. Crazy morning (2 nasty bike crashes (neither was me thank goodness), but that's another topic).

The new re-routed section isn't as bad as I feared, though I did ride it "against the flow", climbing Northbound.

It is "raw", but just in the mere 2 days it's been open the trail is packing down nicely. It is "wide" right now, but I'm sure it will be fine as nature reclaims the unused sections of dirt.

In 3 weeks it will probably be pretty good. I'm not even going to compare it to the old section, because that section is now gone (and it was one of my favs).

I noted a lot of trail re-work in my ride, which went from Empire Lodge, Northbound to Ambush down at Canyons. 2 sections in Canyons were re-routed too, looks like some lodge or lift work there. There was also a very long section down Canyons that was re-done, not sure if it was Holly's or Ambush, but it was horrible. The width is an improvement, but it appears that the work was done when wet, and now it's like concrete with stutter bumps for ~2 miles. Brutal. Hopefully they'll go in and smooth that thing out a bit.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, new trails always takes some time to bed in, and people don't realize how far you have to bench in to make something that won't just collapse. I haven't ridden it yet but I'd withhold judgement for a year or so.

It seems like we are going to have a lot of this kind of trail disruption for the summer, and maybe next year as well. C'est la vie.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    just got back from this morning's ride. Crazy morning (2 nasty bike crashes (neither was me thank goodness), but that's another topic).

The new re-routed section isn't as bad as I feared, though I did ride it "against the flow", climbing Northbound.

It is "raw", but just in the mere 2 days it's been open the trail is packing down nicely. It is "wide" right now, but I'm sure it will be fine as nature reclaims the unused sections of dirt.

In 3 weeks it will probably be pretty good. I'm not even going to compare it to the old section, because that section is now gone (and it was one of my favs).

I noted a lot of trail re-work in my ride, which went from Empire Lodge, Northbound to Ambush down at Canyons. 2 sections in Canyons were re-routed too, looks like some lodge or lift work there. There was also a very long section down Canyons that was re-done, not sure if it was Holly's or Ambush, but it was horrible. The width is an improvement, but it appears that the work was done when wet, and now it's like concrete with stutter bumps for ~2 miles. Brutal. Hopefully they'll go in and smooth that thing out a bit.
    Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    I was one of those accidents John spoke of. I did a nice over the bars 5 miles into our ride together. I still finished the 23 mile ride despite my scraped knee, shoulder, elbow and sore muscle on the left side of my chest. Big rocks at high speed even on a 29r will grab your wheel and throw you to the ground.

I agree with Johns comments on the reroute. I was even less of a fan of the rework on the last trail we were on for it caused more pain. It was still a great ride even with the crash. I just hope the little kid we came across later in the ride made it off the mountain ok. He was in worse shape then I with a gash requiring stitches.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

mtbr member
    I agree that it was likely cut wide knowing the mountain will reclaim most of the width. I rode down it Saturday (Pinecone to Spiro direction), and it's flow wasn't bad and it was already packing in nicely from lots of tires on it.
    I have to say, it was a lot better than the re-route section cut last year on Mill D. I have not been down that yet this year, but that was a rough cut.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you like paved trails then the re-route is a good thing. If you want anything remotely technical then I think you will be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I don't remember that segment having anything remotely "technical"?
    Sure, it was clearly more of a singletrack, but as has been said, the mountain will reclaim most of the width of that cut in a few years.
    I suppose they could have gone in and hand-cut that section to keep more of the feel of the prior route, but I'm not losing any sleep over a few hundred yard long segment that was machine cut.

mtbr member
    I rode a week or so ago I think the day after it was cut. Meh.

I rode it again last night and thought it was pretty fun. I think it will improve even more as it's packed in further.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    I agree that it was likely cut wide knowing the mountain will reclaim most of the width. I rode down it Saturday (Pinecone to Spiro direction), and it's flow wasn't bad and it was already packing in nicely from lots of tires on it.
    I have to say, it was a lot better than the re-route section cut last year on Mill D. I have not been down that yet this year, but that was a rough cut.
    That Mill D reroute is pretty fun now. It's really fast with some good rollers. There are a couple tight crappy turns towards the bottom end.

mtbr member
    I remember riding mid-mountain when it was first cut in years ago and was stumped as to why it was ATV width.... now with vegetation growth on the sides and repeated riding down the middle it is single track (on a nice sustainable bench). This reroute will do the same.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I never thought about it, but an 8' wide trail that is grown back is far safer than a 2' wide trail. On the new style of trail at least you can go off trail a little if you lose your balance and the consequences are not a big deal. ESPECIALLY on a trail that sees this much traffic. It's not like it's Bow Hunter or something.

On my ride yesterday we passed some guy that had gone off one of the narrower sections of MM (at PCMR), down slope, and it was carnage city. He tumbled down a good 50' from where he went off, nothing but sharp rocks. He had a full face helmet and protective gear so was mostly ok.

IMO the only problem with the wider trails is guys tend to ride faster because of it (myself included), and the consequences of a mistake are more serious (hitting a tree, or another person).

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    If you like paved trails then the re-route is a good thing. If you want anything remotely technical then I think you will be disappointed.
    ROFL. Yes, MM was so technical before, they're sanitizing it! :O

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    Is anything in Park City really technical?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Is anything in Park City really technical?
    Good question. What are the more technical trails? Other than the bike park stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    they are in Deer Valley

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I guess I'm thinking of non lift served stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    so pedal up, that's what we do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode the new section yesterday from north to south. Lots of flow, no abrupt changes in elevation or direction. I noticed 2 or 3 spots with some exposed rocks that may turn into a small rock garden in a couple of years. It seems like it will have decent sight lines and work well given how much traffic MM gets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The reason for the re-route is that there will be a lift tower in the area of the old trail. They had to move the trail so that they could do the work.
    New machine cut trails are always loose and lumpy for a while. If we get some moisture soon it will help to pack it in. In the meantime man up when you ride it and be glad you have so many other options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was pretty bummed the other day when I did Armstrong-Spiro loop. That downhill section of MM was definitely one my favorite trails...roots, great flow. Unbelievably beautiful in the fall...

Is this a final re-route or is it temporary during construction? I hope the latter. Anyone know for sure?

mtbr member
    These reroutes have been permanent in the past.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    These reroutes have been permanent in the past.
    Yes it looks like it was designed to be permanent, which is a shame because the new section is as straight and featureless as possible. It will improve with time but it does not have as much flow as P.C. trails usually have.