New Guy! Few questions about my drivetrain options.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

New Guy! Few questions about my drivetrain options.

Long intro that is probably unnecessary, but here goes:

Native Utahn, but only bought my first mountain bike about 4 years ago with the intention of riding around parks with my daughter. Picked up a used Specialized Rockhopper 29er HT and it's been trusty. I've ridden around neighborhoods, parks, and Wasatch Crest 4x (yes, quite the contrast, and probably not the most ideal first trail, but it was a blast).

Fast forward to two weeks ago...started getting the upgrade bug and started sifting through KSL classifieds. Found a 2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon and I'm now its owner. Planning on taking it over to Park City (Midmountain) this weekend.

Here's how the bike is fitted out at the moment:

Shimano XT 3x10 44/32/22 11-36 rear
    Shimano SLX shifters/Avid Elix 5 brakes
    Easton Haven Carbon Handle Bar
    Thomson Masterpiece Seat Post
    Stans Notubes ZTR Crest Wheelset/Stans3.30HD hubs
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron Front Tire
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Rear Tire
    Rock Shox Reba Front shock
    Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Rear shock

The previous owner took care of it, but it was definitely ridden. I literally just dropped it off at Millcreek Bicycles to have them look it over (probably should've had them do this BEFORE I purchased it), but the chain definitely needs to be replaced and the chain rings have a fair amount of wear on the teeth. With that said, I'm considering purchasing a full new 2x10 XT groupset (24/38) and then upgrading the brakes to the XT brakes as well (everything but the rotors are included).

Merlin has the set on sale for a great price here:

Shimano XT M780 Disc Brake Groupset Sale | Groupsets | Merlin Cycles

My thought is I can upgrade the entire drivetrain, along with the brakes, and basically have the bike running like new (planning on having the bike at least 5+ years).

Here are my questions:

1: What are you opinions on the above XT Drivetrain setup...worth doing it or should I just upgrade the chain and shuddup?
    2: Millcreek Bicycle; have them install the drivetrain or is another shop you'd recommended (they're quoting around $140ish for installation and then around $100 for tune + front shock service (the front fork is squeaking I believe and needs service)?
    3: Anything else, other than just getting more and more hours on my bike, that you would consider upgrading/checking at this point?

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading this wordy post and look forward to hearing from everyone!
    Last edited by idyfohu; 09-25-2015 at 01:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You should be fine on a 2x setup in the area and the price looks good. I had a 2x system for a few years and had no problems. I would pay extra for the M786 Shadow+ SGS derailleur for the clutch system.

$140 dollars is way over priced for a drivetrain installation. I recently had a complete drivetrain installed and the labor cost was $40ish dollars. This was the same price for two shops I compared and included them taking off my crank from another bike since it used a non-standard BB tool.

Go Ride is my preferred shop and will be able to do everything you need, including fork/shock service. I've tried numerous shops around the valley and they are one of the best shops around this area. Plus the cost of their parts and labor prices are very competitive and close to on-line prices. Taylor's Bike Shop is another place I recommend depending on what you need.

If your tires are setup tubeless you may want to put more fluid in them, and you may also want to get new tires, depending on how worn your other tires are. Congrats on the new bike, and right now is one of the best times to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    +1 for go-ride