New Dead Horse Point SP mountain bike trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Dead Horse Point SP mountain bike trail?

So my Dad forwarded a National Geographic email article about the 4 corners. A blurb about Dead Horse Pt State Park caught my attn:

"Moab is at it again. In May the country’s most popular and best publicized biking town will open a remarkable addition: 13 miles of loops in Dead Horse Point State Park, an area once off-limits to the public."

Any locals hear of this? I'm certainly excited for any new trail developments in Moab.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    A bit more info I stumbled across here:
    http://www.moabtimes.com/pages/full_..._column&open=&

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah, i have heard about this too. imagine a singletrack from dead horse!!!??? i have heard it is going to be a multi-use trail, but jeff van horn is definitely a biker....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    yeah, i have heard about this too. imagine a singletrack from dead horse!!!??? i have heard it is going to be a multi-use trail, but jeff van horn is definitely a biker....
    Is the trail system going to be made out of concrete or asphalt? Seems pretty sandy out there unless you are on the edge of the rim like UPS and LPS. Has anyone taken any pictures out there? What is the proposed routing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by traildoc; 02-22-2009 at 09:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rock

Tons of sandstone to make great slickrock trails and views to die for at Dead Horse, camping there too. Gemini Bridges is below so I'd bet you can tie it into the ride. Gold Bar Rim is also near, a ride I wish to do.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lots of speculating here

Anybody know anything for sure?
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Tons of sandstone to make great slickrock trails and views to die for at Dead Horse, camping there too. Gemini Bridges is below so I'd bet you can tie it into the ride. Gold Bar Rim is also near, a ride I wish to do.
    Abe..Would.you.be.riding.or.flying.to.GB.or.GBR?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd bet it would be part of the trail or at least an option. I haven't ridden Gemini Bridges in about 6 years and haven't visited Dead Horse in about 12 years as I love the riding around St. George even more than Moab. You have to try Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain there, most fun trails I've ever ridden.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'd bet it would be part of the trail or at least an option. I haven't ridden Gemini Bridges in about 6 years and haven't visited Dead Horse in about 12 years as I love the riding around St. George even more than Moab. You have to try Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain there, most fun trails I've ever ridden.
    Hey, I want to ride Gooseberry and Little Creek too but from Denver it adds about two days of drive time (out and back) on top of just getting to Moab in the first place. Any more trails to ride in the Moab area would be a welcome addition for me, for sure.

OTOH, I've got dozens of Front Range trails that are just a short drive from my house so I'm not complaining. Just need to allot a two week time slot to get over to Gooseberry and ride everything in that area.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Looking for any updates on the trail, we'll be there in April. Is it open yet? Looks great!

banned
    Abe:How_much_do_you_normally_bet?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was curious about this cuz I'm gonna be in Moab at the end of April. So I e-mailed the Utah Parks Service. This is the response I recieved:

"Yes, the rumor is true...
    The trail system will open at the beginning of May. Right now, construction is almost done on the trail, however it is still very soft and sandy. We're hoping some moisture and compaction will help this week!
    The trail system is meant for beginner riders and there are three nested loops. A 1.1 mile, a 4.2 mile and the whole outer loop is 9miles. The trail travels on top of the mesa, near the cliff edge.

If you would like to come and ride the trail now, you can, however it is quite the slog with the sand. If you'd like to try, come to the visitor center and we can give you appropriate directions. There will be a trail map, though they aren't produced yet. We'll put it on the State Parks website when we get them!"

Thanks Megan!!!

mtbr member
    Wow...this is great news. Thanks for passing it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Adler
    I was curious about this cuz I'm gonna be in Moab at the end of April. So I e-mailed the Utah Parks Service. This is the response I recieved:

"Yes, the rumor is true...
    The trail system will open at the beginning of May. Right now, construction is almost done on the trail, however it is still very soft and sandy. We're hoping some moisture and compaction will help this week!
    The trail system is meant for beginner riders and there are three nested loops. A 1.1 mile, a 4.2 mile and the whole outer loop is 9miles. The trail travels on top of the mesa, near the cliff edge.

If you would like to come and ride the trail now, you can, however it is quite the slog with the sand. If you'd like to try, come to the visitor center and we can give you appropriate directions. There will be a trail map, though they aren't produced yet. We'll put it on the State Parks website when we get them!"

Thanks Megan!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any updates on this guy? Still super sandy or worth checking out?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Any updates on this guy? Still super sandy or worth checking out?
    Summit:

I am trying to figure out how does sand actually disappear. Seems like Poison Spider is always a sandy ride and parts of Porcupine Rim are always sandy except when it rains a lot. Is it possible the new trail is close enough to the edge that you can shovel the sand off the cliff band or does it rain a lot at Dead Horse Point?

We need someone to get some pictures I bet the views are world class.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

heavy machinery

called DHP last friday to see if it was open. wanted to do the loop and then long canyon downhill....

the guy said they are "packing it down" and it will open in may...

Apr 2008
    We plan on riding the trail this weekend. I'll post some pics when we get back on tues...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the trail system is smooth singletrack with some amazing views...rode the trail counter clockwise, the trail is mostly flat with a couple of very small climbs and downhills, this is a beginner trail with no technical factor. the north section of the trail was very sandy they need pack it down...this trail can be fun if you ride it fast, I hope they are not going to charge people ten bucks to ride this trail...here are some photos from the ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the beta and pics! Looks nice, might go check it out this weekend.

Apr 2008
    We opted out of this ride after hearing from some shops that it wasn't cured enough to enjoy. Can't wait to hit it up in Sept though! Thanks for the pics and update dmar!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I rode most of the blue loop this weekend, it was really fun singletrack with insane-o views. A few washy corners but just stay in the middle of the trail and it was no problem. The lightning storm that pinned me out on the mesa...not so cool though.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Damn it!

We passed on this one... We were looking for a quiet day to cool down and we instead went and did the loops at Bar M... it was fun... but the Dead Horse Point trail looks pretty cool!

Ah well... next time!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Overall... a really good trail even with the sandy sections. Just needs a bit more maintenance and lots of riders. ENJOY!!
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Apr 2008
    We did Bar M as well and just about got pinned down by hard rain and hail from that storm right in the middle of the Circle O loop. Not cool being that exposed on a slickrock trail with lightning in the distance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Rode the new Intrepid Trail yesterday!

As other posters have mentioned, it can be VERY sandy in spots, now that it's dry. I would say sand bogs are a pretty accurate description, although large diameter tires may fare better than our 2.1 Nevegals.

The park rangers have been "improving" some of the really sandy spots with a mix of gravel and magnesium chloride, which turns the surface into something resembling concrete. Nice and fast, but still a bit bumpy.

We rode the mid-length loop (4.5 miles) as my wife hasn't ridden since last summer. I would say the trail is quite family-friendly, and most kids with some mountain biking experience should do fine. There are a couple of technical spots and a couple of short hills, but overall, this is an easy ride, which is what the rangers wanted--something for families. Only a short stretch of trail near the visitor center is multi-purpose, and may have hikers on it.

If you want a hair-raising ride, look elsewhere around Moab.

Oh yeah, it's $10.00 per car for a one-day pass.

mtbr member
    Did Dead Horse Point State Park start allowing e-bikes on the non-motorized trails?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No...not on non-motorized singletrack they still consider them motorized vehicles as do the forrest device and BLM. You can rock them on any doubletrack though

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    While I don't know for certain....I've heard that they are allowed as it is a State Park.

Members who have read this thread: 2