Need Suggestions, Moab Itinerary- Mtbr.com
    One life, One boss

Need Suggestions, Moab Itinerary

Planning a trip for Moab between May 26th and June 2nd. I'm driving out from N. California and have never been before. What is a good plan of attack to get the most epic rides in. We will hopefully be able to ride 4 or 5 days. Which rides/trails are a "must"? All of the riders going are pretty strong; 20 milers no problem. Any suggestions welcome.

~~~~~~~
    porcupine rim is a must. you can camp near slickrock and ride it some morning when you don't want to go anywhere. it is also a definite must, but you want to ride early before it gets mobbed with novices and late risers. i would also ride amasaback. that's my two cents. oh, and for your next trip- go to fruita :-)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I live in Moab, and as Dirt_Diggler suggests, Porcupine Rim is a must. I would recommend starting the ride as far up as possible and including the upper trails that connect to Porcupine Rim, which are Hazard County, UPS (Upper Porcupine Singletrack), and LPS (Lower Porcupine Singletrack). Hopefully by the end of May Hazard County will be thawed out and open so you could do Hazard County to UPS, UPS to LPS, and then connect with the regular Porcupine Rim trail. The Forest Service did close UPS last fall and handed out a few tickets to those unfortunate enough to get caught riding it. But that is only a two mile section that is easy to go around on the Kokopelli trail.

Other recommends are:
    - Slickrock trail in the AM, and Amasa back in the afternoon.
    - Sovereign trail. Most people just do a short version of this trail as a 5 mile out and back making it only a 10 mile ride. There is a lot more to this trail system that can easily give you a 20 to 30 mile ride. I often connect it with the Klondike Bluffs trail system which ends up being a 30+ mile outing.
    - One day in Fruita. IMO this is a must do.

There are lots of other rides and a few that aren't in any guidebooks or on any maps. So if you want more info contact me at my regular email below and I'll fill you in best I can. Would enjoy hooking up with for a few of them if I'm home.

Craig Tuttle
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Slickrock and porcupine rim for sure, I love Amasa back as well. Sovereign is nice if you want a little single track mixed in with your slickrock. I've heard the Amasa trail goes for miles after you get to the top but even just the shorter official ride is great.

The portal is a brutal hike up, and must be a scary scary ride down, and poison spider is okay but a lot of it is sandy.

I've always wanted to ride the Moab Rim just to say I did, but I think I want flats and some sticky rubber tennis shoes on that one, the climb is just sick, I had a hard time just hiking up the first couple sections last summer. If you had to get off the bike hard sole biking shoes would never stick.

If you are a roadie, and even if not the La Sal mountain loop is a great ride, and more than worth the drive as well. It's a great place to get out of the heat during the mid day. It can be 110+ in moab and 60's up there.

Members who have read this thread: 0