Need Quality Bike Builder Ogden - SLC- Mtbr.com

May 2008

Need Quality Bike Builder Ogden - SLC

Hello All,

I'm completely restoring my classic SC Heckler, frame up. The frame is currently being powder coated by Spectrum in CO and the shock is being Pushed.

I am setting it up for XC epics/All mountain with a high quality parts mix in the Sram 9/XT level.

What I'm looking for is a shop to build the bike (I'm not a wrench) carefully and skillfully. The shop I had strip the frame did not inspire confidence.

I'm not putting anything too crazy on the bike, but I have Gore Ride-On cables and Avid Juicy 7's, and want them set up properly as there can be issues if not installed right.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I live in Ogden but will take the bike to SLC for the right build.

Cheers

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Biker's Edge in Kaysville. Talk to Zach.

Apr 2008
    Wild Rose in the aves has some great bike builders. One of them built up my buddies FR hardtail really nice with parts that were mostly just laying around the shop, can't remember his name though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would not be too keen on trusting the guys at Biker's Edge as I have seen some pretty shotty work come out of their shop (bikes falling apart on the trail, simple tasks like brake adjustment being way off!!).

I have been fairly happy with Revolution Mountain Sports in Sandy...

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    I would not be too keen on trusting the guys at Biker's Edge as I have seen some pretty shotty work come out of their shop (bikes falling apart on the trail, simple tasks like brake adjustment being way off!!).

First off, it's "shoddy". Second, crappy work comes out of every shop, it just depends on who you deal with. Somehow I doubt bikes have "fallen apart" and that your experience was with either one person or probably with a guy your cousin's boyfriend heard about. Seeing as you've never actually had any issues with BE perhaps you should think twice before spouting off. I mean do you know the complete history of the issues you're reporting so diligently about? Is it possible that **** you claim to have seen might actually be the fault of the owner and not the shop they bought the bike from? In other words, what I'm saying is that you should really STFU.

Think about how much guys working in bike shops get paid and then ask yourself just what type of quality any shop is really giving you. If you're just a walk in that deals with the 18 yo kid behind the repair counter then you're probably rolling the dice as to what you get. If you bother to get to know the owners or managers and demand a better level of service, including taking the time to learn what's what on your gear, then you'll more than likely be taken well care of.

That said, I've had good luck at Wild Rose as well. Ask for Tim there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow Radnasty, did your girl friend dump you?!!

Just my opinion/first hand experience with BE.
    Last edited by jon.moab; 06-04-2008 at 09:36 PM.

May 2008
    Sounds like people are passionate about their LBS's and that's good. We got to keep them (the good ones) in business.

Does anyone have specific experiences with Revolution? I will try to check out Wild Rose.

Biker's Edge was an impressive store but I felt a little like I would be taking a number and waiting to see whether I drew the kid who was learning to build or the vet. Very nice folks and I did purchase shoes there, but it would be hard to develop a close relationship in a shop that busy and heavily staffed. Lot's of bling bike eye candy though!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I purchased my bike from Revolution and have been very pleased with their service!! The people that work there are also very friendly and helpful.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    As a person that has been on both sides of the counter and the bike industry itself I have seen both good and bad shops the bad tend to leave a lasting effect on the industry as a whole, you should always try to build a good rep with your local shop unless that local shop has a rep for mistreatment of customers, I always work on my own stuff , drop me a pm if you want to be taught some of the basics. I am local framebuilder who has been doing this type of work for going on ten years so I might know a thing or two about building up a bike..

function bike co
    449 w 12st
    ogden, ut
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Regarding Revolution
    I demoed a bike from them last year, and in my shopping process (browsing MTBR classifieds) I found the same bike in a Titanium frame w/ better componentry at a screaming deal!! Several of their staff (Ryan in particular) told me I'd be a fool not to jump on it. I did, and I've used them for all my maintenance and repair needs since. They all treat me like I bought the bike from them!!! That place and their staff truly ROCK!!!! Rtan is the bomb!

Mtn Biker Machinist

Skyline in Ogden

Matt, the owner, is 1st rate, and he has good mechanics there as well. Skyline is a newer shop, and has a great atmosphere and vibe. Address is 834 Washington Blvd.

Binghams just opened a new shop in Washington, and is a lot bigger, but if you get to know the guys there, they will take care of you as well.

Skyline is more personal, Binghams has been around for a lot longer, good or bad. As said before, it pays to build a good relationship with your LBS, if they know you and know you support them, they will take care of you.

frog

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Matt, the owner, is 1st rate, and he has good mechanics there as well. Skyline is a newer shop, and has a great atmosphere and vibe. Address is 834 Washington Blvd.

Binghams just opened a new shop in Washington, and is a lot bigger, but if you get to know the guys there, they will take care of you as well.

Skyline is more personal, Binghams has been around for a lot longer, good or bad. As said before, it pays to build a good relationship with your LBS, if they know you and know you support them, they will take care of you.

frog
    Plus they have dogs.

mtbr member

Become a wrench

I'd recommend buying a tool set and educate yourself on building up a bike. It's just not that complicated. It also makes it easy to maintain on a regular basis.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    I'd recommend buying a tool set and educate yourself on building up a bike. It's just not that complicated. It also makes it easy to maintain on a regular basis.
    That is excellent advice.

Do you have any friends that wrench on bikes? Perhaps you can talk them into showing you the ropes. I used to always wrench on my friends' bikes. Mostly so that their bikes were always in tip top shape so that I had friends to ride with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i wouldn't chose binghams...they have so many bikes that they repair that sometimes some bad work is done

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab

I would never take my bike to Biker's Edge. I have had some bad experiences with them also.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Skyline. By far the best shop in ogden (friendly, knowledgeable, nice atmosphere).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If these don't work Uinta Bicycles in Kamas would be happy to do it for you. I am sort of a shop rat/part time employee but testament to the quality and service, and you will probably get a pretty good rate on your build kit as well. They are about 45 minutes from Odgen via I-84. Cheers, Andre

The Sentinel

I would take mine to Skyline

I have Juicy 7 brakes on all 3 of my bikes. I took two of them to Biker's Edge for bleeds after installation (I did the installation myself), and both bikes still had issues with air in the brakes. After that experience, I took them to Skyline, and they were both fixed on the first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Telespey
    What I'm looking for is a shop to build the bike (I'm not a wrench) carefully and skillfully. The shop I had strip the frame did not inspire confidence.

I'm not putting anything too crazy on the bike, but I have Gore Ride-On cables and Avid Juicy 7's, and want them set up properly as there can be issues if not installed right.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I live in Ogden but will take the bike to SLC for the right build.

Cheers
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

May 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, I would love to learn how to work on my bike but I am remodeling my house this summer and don't have time to spend on it. If I add it to my list of projects, I'll never ride this summer! Hopefully I can start doing the maintenance this fall.

I will check out Skyline soon.

Cheers,

Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0