Need a Moab trail recommendation for my girlfriend and I this Saturday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Need a Moab trail recommendation for my girlfriend and I this Saturday

So my girlfriend and I will be in Moab on Saturday and I'm considering what to ride. She's never been there. She has very much enjoyed the lift assisted riding we did this year at Keystone, Winter Park and Steamboat Springs. She can handle the rocks and roots but any sort of climbing, even only a mile long often does put her off the bike with a seizure. No, I'm not kidding. I was thinking maybe we could ride Sovereign or the Moab Brand (Bar M?) trails? Anything else to consider that is pretty flat, fun, etc? She'd probably be good riding down most of Mag 7 I bet if we took a shuttle up.

We'll ride Road 18 in Fruita on Sunday and she's done that before without issue.

Thanks y'all, looking for her first Moab experience to be great!

beater

Need a Moab trail recommendation for my girlfriend and I this Saturday

DO NOT take her to Sovereign. The climbs there are short, but they're steep, loose, and not much fun unless you enjoy challenging climbs. It sounds like that's not her thing.

Mag7 would be a good option, but assuming you end at the Gemini Bridges road like most people do instead of carrying on on towards Portal, you'll have a long gravel road climb out, which sounds like what you're trying to avoid.

Depending on her skill level, it sounds like she might enjoy Ahab. It looks chunky, but every feature is rollable. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never found climbing the jeep road on Amasa Back to be all that hard. Sure there are challenging climbs here and there, but the majority of the elevation gain is a foot at a time, and the rest of it is low angle. You don't climb all that high to the saddle/false summit, either. Maybe 900 feet?

Bartletts Wash is a fun place to mess around for a while without much climbing.

mtbr member
    I'd take a look at Klonzo. There are enough intersections that you can generally tailor the ride "on the fly".

Klonzo South Mountain Bike Trails near Moab

There is also a "north" area that is linked on that page.

Mag 7 is good but a like noted above, a climb out of Gemini that's not too bad, but is quite anti climatic coming at the end of the ride. And, not to be disagreeable, but I think the climb up Amasa to get to Ahab is leagues more difficult than coming out Gemini for Mag 7. Hymasa is a new singletrack trail on Amasa back that mostly skips the jeep road and still gets you to the top of Ahab. Still a solid climb.

Brands is a good suggestion, as is Bartlett wash, also, don't overlook the trails out at Dead Horse point, that are scenic and fun, and only have little up and downs.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Dead horse!!!!

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    Mag 7 is good but a like noted above, a climb out of Gemini that's not too bad, but is quite anti climatic coming at the end of the ride. And, not to be disagreeable, but I think the climb up Amasa to get to Ahab is leagues more difficult than coming out Gemini for Mag 7. Hymasa is a new singletrack trail on Amasa back that mostly skips the jeep road and still gets you to the top of Ahab. Still a solid climb.
    I mentioned Ahab mostly b/c the OP said his GF enjoyed DH riding. You're right; it does take a bit of work to get there, but I think it's easier than a sustained grind. But if you're looking for something with almost no climbing, scratch it off the list.

mtbr member
    OP-Your post doesn't say that your GF enjoys real DH, just that she enjoyed lift assisted riding.
    How are her tech skills?
    Does she like drops, steep rollers, high speeds?
    Or, is it that she just likes to ride, but can't pedal uphill for the descents?
    There are a few pure DH shuttle options close to town, but they require real DH ability.
    If you just need to eliminate uphills in order to ride, Moab is going to present some real challenges.
    As mentioned above, the pedal out of "Mag 7" on the Gemini Bridges road is a real climb for anyone who has trouble pedaling a bike uphill. Add in the fact that the flat sections are often sandy and it will feel like several miles of climbing for someone who can't pedal a mile of uphill.
    The Ahab/Hymasa climb is no big deal for a moderately fit rider. However, it is real climbing. If climbing is not her thing, it could be a killer.
    Check the weather conditions for a shuttle to UPS/LPS Porcupine. Long ride, a few short uphills, and upper intermediate tech on the DH.
    If your GF can pedal a bit of moderate XC terrain and handle a few short climbs, then go check out the EZ/Lazy loop at Bar M, Intrepid Loops at Deadhorse, Klonzo, Klondike bluffs area- Dyno Flow-Agate-Jasper.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I have a few videos on YouTube explaining the Moab trails for intermediates that you may find useful. MTB Trail Analysis For Intermediate Riders - YouTube

We rode the Deadhorse Point State Park trails a few weeks ago after years of being told to do them and they are fun and flowy. Just enough technical to be interesting and some great views!

The Moab Brand Trails / Bar M has something for everyone. Always the best place to start out. Take her on Lazy / EZ and then North 40. After that move up the food chain. I have a vid on Sovereign but the floods a month ago washed it out pretty bad so avoid it.

No for Amasaback. That is a long climb. Save it for later when she is comfortable in Moab. Guys have a tendency to piss off their women on difficult trails before they are ready.

Mag 7 is a blast but the ride out from the bottom of Getaway through sand is a pain. Instead consider driving down Gemini Bridges Road from the highway to Deadhorse and Canyonlands and parking at the bottom of Getaway. Ride up the road to the top, very gentle climb or take the single track and bike down Bull Run and Getaway.

If you take the shuttle to the top of Mag 7 and bike out Gemini Bridges and down the paved bike path to Poison Spider bike shop that is 26 miles. The extensive road biking can get old for MTBers. Better to park on Gemini Bridges.

Only after warming up on the Brand Trails I would recommend Mag 7 or Porcupine Rim. Porky is a great adventure and you shuttle to the top. Check my trail analysis video for Porky to see if she would like it.

Celebrate in the Ghost Bar up the back stairs in Jefferie's Steakhouse :-) Also the Moab Brewery.

I tend to be somewhat gentle with women and MTB. While a very few women are aggressive for most they just want to ride the bike and enjoy a few technical challenges. Start easy and work up. The Brand Trails is a great place to start. If you are bored then do Deadmans and Killer Bee :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    just remember, if the 1st ride is bad you'll never get her out for a 2nd one. Choose wisely

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, there was a thread here not long ago about a guy taking his girlfriend on the Klondike system and she wasn't pleased.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    OP-Your post doesn't say that your GF enjoys real DH, just that she enjoyed lift assisted riding.
    How are her tech skills?
    Does she like drops, steep rollers, high speeds?
    Or, is it that she just likes to ride, but can't pedal uphill for the descents?
    There are a few pure DH shuttle options close to town, but they require real DH ability.
    If you just need to eliminate uphills in order to ride, Moab is going to present some real challenges.
    As mentioned above, the pedal out of "Mag 7" on the Gemini Bridges road is a real climb for anyone who has trouble pedaling a bike uphill. Add in the fact that the flat sections are often sandy and it will feel like several miles of climbing for someone who can't pedal a mile of uphill.
    The Ahab/Hymasa climb is no big deal for a moderately fit rider. However, it is real climbing. If climbing is not her thing, it could be a killer.
    Check the weather conditions for a shuttle to UPS/LPS Porcupine. Long ride, a few short uphills, and upper intermediate tech on the DH.
    If your GF can pedal a bit of moderate XC terrain and handle a few short climbs, then go check out the EZ/Lazy loop at Bar M, Intrepid Loops at Deadhorse, Klonzo, Klondike bluffs area- Dyno Flow-Agate-Jasper.
    Solid advice across the board here. I'd echo this for the situation described. If someone has issues on a typical mile long climb I wouldn't have them going anywhere near Amasa unless hiking is an option. Same goes for Mag unless you are able to shuttle a vehicle in for pickup prior to the two long climbs options out.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    These are great suggestions and considerations. I forgot all about the Gemini Bridges road climb out of Mag7. While she does enjoy lift assisted riding, she's not a true DHer. I raced DH in the late 90s and she really enjoys the blue runs pretty much anywhere, although she thought Winter Park was too smooth. She LOVED Keystone, Mosquito Coast and runs like that. She's not doing drops over 12" at this point. I rode Ahab, etc at the end of September and I gotta believe that climb (either jeep road or Hymassa) would be too much for her. The saving grace might be at it won't be hot, just maybe mid 60 degree temps which will certainly help her. Still, it sounds like there are some good options and several of them would be new to us both. I'll check out the links. Thank you!

mtbr member
    My wife is just like yours, loving the lift assisted stuff but hating the climbs most everywhere else. We discovered the Klondike Bluff - Dino Flow and Jurrasic Trails last year. She loved'em. I suggest starting at the trailhead at Inside Passage trail then ride Dino Flow out(up) and back(down). It made everyone in our group happy after the longer and more difficult trails in the same area. Combination of very short climbs with short downhills she can rest up on and flats in between. I enjoyed it and I'm into hard charging techy downhill.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Dino Flow is cool. Plenty of short technical sections with some gentle flow. My wife likes that trail also. She's intermediate most of the time and loved Bull Run / Getaway on Mag 7 but wasn't enthusiastic about the ride out Gemini Bridges. She never complains though.

:-)

I haven't been on Gemini Bridges Road from the start of Bull Run down to Little Canyon in ages but it seems that the road is very drivable with most vehicles now. Is anyone parking at Little Canyon and riding up the road to the top of Bull Run then descending Bull Run, etc.? From what I recall the road has a very gentle climb. It would be less strenuous than most Moab MTB.

mtbr member
    I'd recommend Dead Horse also, simply because it has very little climbing and the views would keep her mind off of any ascents. Good, solid introduction to the Moab conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A very fun, longer ride at Bar-M is to connect 1)EZ to 2)Rockin A to 3)Circle O and 4) finish on North 40. About 10-11 miles, some techie sections but nothing hard, nice variety for the area. My wife and I really enjoyed this connection. A few uphill sections, but no long grinds that I remember.

Yes, keep it fun for her!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright folks, we're outta here. Sounds like either Dead Horse or Bar-M trails. Still not sure. Thanks for all the insight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank everyone! it really worked out pretty good. She made it almost to an hour before having a seizure. Pretty strange since it was on Rockin A which is basically downhill. She loved the rocky trail surfaces of Rockin A and Circle O. It took us almost an hour to ride down Rockin A and I fully expected we'd be walking out of there. Instead, by the time we got to Circle O, she was FLYING. it's the craziest thing. She says it's all brought on by her heart rate which I assume impacts her blood pressure. anyway, we may go back in two weeks (this time to Dead Horse) and I told her we need to get a heart rate monitor so she can monitor and manage things much better. Still, she loved the trails and we were out there almost 3 hours. She's a trooper!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the report!

There is no relation between heart rate and blood pressure. I wish there was. There is a popular Omron wrist band type pulse and blood pressure monitor on Amazon. Easy to use on the trails but not always accurate. You have to experiment with positioning and test against an arm band style monitor.

http://smile.amazon.com/Omron-Series...UU/ref=sr_1_18

Biking will make blood pressure go way down. Wine afterwards lowers it more. Heart rate is based on activity and of course goes up during rides.

Hope this helps her.

mtbr member
    Would also highly recommend Klonzo trail stuff next time. Lots of new trails out there and mostly broken up into relatively small climbs. Great stuff "below the road" there as well as above the road and parking areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Maybe she should se a doctor??