Need help planning a trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need help planning a trip

My friend and I are planning a trip in Feb or Mar 05. We are wondering if snow on the trails at Moab could be a problem then? We are going to ride at Fruita but what other near by places offer excellent singletrack or Moab like riding? Thanks.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Isisrider

February riding

I have never rode Moab in the winter months, though I hear it is great.
    We usually go to St. George every year in January or February, and the riding is great. The weather is usually about 10 degrees warmer in St. George than in Moab, (last year I was riding in shirt sleeves) that time of year. Just check the weather forecast and plan your trips accordingly. Definitely ride Gooseberry Mesa, about 45 min from town, plus there are many other great trails, Green valley, prospector trail, jem trail, virgin river trail, etc. just check in at Red Rock bicycles for a map of the local rides,

have fun
    Isisrider

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

February

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    My friend and I are planning a trip in Feb or Mar 05. We are wondering if snow on the trails at Moab could be a problem then? We are going to ride at Fruita but what other near by places offer excellent singletrack or Moab like riding? Thanks.
    February is a bit cold but I have camped it down in Moab during a warm stretch, March shouldn't be a problem but you're going to want to check the weather.

mtbr member

Thanks...

for the response. We are not concerned with the cold as we will be coming down from Canada but are interested in the trail conditions with regards to traction and ridability. Short sleeves sound good though.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Jun 2004

Winter in the SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    Moab will probably be cold and there is a chance of some snow. I have ridden down there in January and found some snow that I could ride through on the north side of some faces. I think the water I had froze at night to give you an idea of the temperature.

Other places to ride are Gooseberry Mesa and St. George area. Gooseberry has some very unique riding, although depending on the weather at the time you might need some serious 4x4 to get into the trail head during those months. There is also good riding at Boulder City NV as well as at Red Rocks near Vegas.

alien exchange student

Moab in Feb/March

Howdy, I often ride Moab in late February or early March. The weather can vary a lot. Most trails are very rideable. Some of the sandier trails are really good due to the moisture and colder temps. Porcupine Rim (on of the classics) isn't doable at that time of year. You can climb up the singletrack from the river and do it as an out-and-back but the "standard route" will be snowbound at the top.

The hiking in Arches is really nice - you sometimes get snow on the rock.

Let me know if you have any other questions ([email protected])

Cheers!

Mel