• 12-03-2008
    parkgesicht
    In Need of Help From the Locals.
    Hey All,

I go to School up in Minnesota and our Mountain Bike club is planning a Spring Break Trip (expenses paid by the SCHOOL!). On deciding where to go many are very hyped about going to Moab. Which in my opinion is a swell idea. The only problem that we're running into is the fact that our school runs a pretty early Break: Feb 28 through March 8. I know I know, THATS NOT EVEN SPRING! But it helps us up here escape the mounds of snow covering our trails. I was simply wondering whether or not the conditions and weather will be worth riding at this time of year. I know there is a lot of trail out there....so i was just wondering if we would be able to ride it? or if we should start looking for a more southern destination.

Let me know your thought.
    Thanks much.
  • 12-03-2008
    Joss DeWaele
    Try South West Utah (St. George, Virgin, etc). There is more riding there than most people know about, far fewer people on the trails, and the weather is much warmer. Of course, late February could be nasty, but Vegas is only about two more hours down I-15, and there is almost always good riding to be had in Boulder City that time of year.

By the way, nice job on getting the school to pay for your trip!
  • 12-03-2008
    wasea04
    I'm from St.George and today it's mid to upper sixties.................At worst it'll be in the forties when you come in March, In fact late fall through early spring is the only time to visit, unless of course you like riding in some gnarly hot temps. Gooseberry Mesa, Slickrock Swamp, Little Creek, and Guacamole...........all of which are slickrock rides, not to mention the other stellar rides in the area. Kevin if you're on this board man up and let's go riding!!!! :D
  • 12-03-2008
    ucme4dk
    If you do St. George...
    ...not only can you hit some great riding, but for those racing types, they can hit the Desert Rampage of the Intermountain Cup series (www.intermountaincup.com).

Have fun!
  • 12-04-2008
    crager34
    I agree that St. George during that time of year will probably be a better "bet", but Moab could be and has been in the past... stellar during that time of year. The other thing to consider about St. George is it's another 4+ hours down the road from Moab.

I would say plan the trip for both and depending upon the weather, you have an option.

Good luck.
  • 12-05-2008
    shelbster15
    Moab or St. George area? Id be on the fence cause they are both great riding! Moab would be just a few degrees cooler, but hey we live in the SW desert and we dont see any kind of cold weather like you guys up there would experience. so as long as there is no snow on the ground(if it did snow it would be less then 1 inch and would be gone by afternoon) I dont think you guys would complain, right? It would be 50-70 for the highs for moab and STG would be like +3 degrees warmer....not much. I would head over to utahmountainbiking.com and research all the trails at each spot.

You guys driving or flying? moab is also a few hours to fruita, co and they have all kinds of mtn biking trails. you could spend a few days in moab and a few days in fruita.

Or a few days in moab and st. george. best of both worlds!
  • 12-06-2008
    parkgesicht
    I think the plan right now is to drive. It would be fun to road trip with a bunch of guys and bikes. And there definitly wouldn't be ANY complaints about 50 degree weather. Today it was maybe 25 with a windchill that made it feel like -5. HA.

Thanks for all the help guys, It almost sounds like we could just kinda drive into Utah and figure it out from there on a Day-by-Day. Just as long as we get to ride our bikes.
  • 12-08-2008
    crager34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by parkgesicht
    Just as long as we get to ride our bikes.

AAAAAAAAAA--MEN.............AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN

AaaaaaAMEN AMEN AMEN :thumbsup:

Rode Klondike Bluffs yesterday.... It was a b e a-U-tiful day