Need advice on trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Need advice on trails

Hi, I'm looking for somewhere to ride in Utah during the month of Jan or Feb. I would prefer Moab but not sure how the conditions are, any suggestions or info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    moab could be hit or miss...if you want a safer bet check out st. george

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Zen trail in St George is one of my favorite trails in the area. Around that time of year St. George is probably your best bet for Utah. If you aren't set on staying in Utah, you could head to Las Vegas/Boulder, or the Phoenix area, which has some great riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I found the St. George MTB website, looks like the place to be. Thanks, you guys are great!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    There is a lot of riding around St George, Santa Clara, and out toward Zion NP. It will be cool with maybe snow on the mesa tops. The problem is wind early in the year. It can howl through there. That is probably why the nearby town of Hurricane is called that.

I've been blown off the trails near Hurricane. Fortunately into the mountain and not over the side but that came close a few times. First of March this year and a week later. St. George is less so but still very gusty. Vegas gets those winds also.

Sedona could be a better bet but I don't know that area in the winter. Contact the bike shops such as Over The Edge Sedona.

Moab has 4" of snow at the top of Mag 7 now, which would put snow at the top of many popular trails. It will get colder but the snow comes and goes. Risky to plan winter rides there or Fruita but they do get some great riding days if you are lucky.

We've rode the Arizona Trail around New Years many years ago and it was terrific. We love riding those cactus gardens!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    There is a lot of riding around St George, Santa Clara, and out toward Zion NP. It will be cool with maybe snow on the mesa tops. The problem is wind early in the year. It can howl through there. That is probably why the nearby town of Hurricane is called that.

I've been blown off the trails near Hurricane. Fortunately into the mountain and not over the side but that came close a few times. First of March this year and a week later. St. George is less so but still very gusty. Vegas gets those winds also.

Sedona could be a better bet but I don't know that area in the winter. Contact the bike shops such as Over The Edge Sedona.

Moab has 4" of snow at the top of Mag 7 now, which would put snow at the top of many popular trails. It will get colder but the snow comes and goes. Risky to plan winter rides there or Fruita but they do get some great riding days if you are lucky.

We've rode the Arizona Trail around New Years many years ago and it was terrific. We love riding those cactus gardens!
    I think he means the snow level at the top of TWE, Mag 7 is clear.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Sam313, Poison Spider posted on Facebook snow at the top of Mag 7 yesterday afternoon based on shuttle info. Just a little wind there last week when I rode it. Yes, Burro Pass and much of Hazard have snow. Probably much lower now though based on P.S. report.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I'm not sure where PS gets their info...... I rode up there Wednesday when it was snowing but nothing was sticking. It's clear now. I'm riding it today. There is a web cam at Island in the Sky that you can always check for conditions and it shows all clear.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    They said a shuttle. Probably melted off quickly. They showed a photo of the entrance to Island in the Sky with snow.

I follow PS, Moab Cyclery, and Chile Pepper on Facebook to stay hyped up for my next trip to Moab. I just got home from almost a month there including Outerbike :-)

I defected to Virgin for Rampage for a week then returned to Moab.